Vermicelli Upma | Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Recipe
Vermicelli upma is similar to suji semolina upma but with a little variation in cooking method. This is generally prepared by vermicelli and sometimes added with semolina or suji to make mix upma.
However I like only vermicelli upma as both gives distinct taste. This is an easy and quick recipe and hardly takes 15 - 20 minutes to prepare. To make it healthy, add whatever vegetables you want.
I am using homemade vermicelli for any vermicelli recipes on my blog. We prefer homemade ones more than store bought. But you can use any one available in market. When you are using store bought vermicelli for any vermicelli recipes, shallow fry that in a tsp ghee or oil before any other step. Normally the homemade ones are dry roasted before we store. That's why it's not required to fry again.
For this upma I have taken green peas, green beans, carrots and cauliflowers. You can add potatoes, broccoli, bell peppers etc as per your choice. But curry leaves, mustard seeds, ginger are must in my any upma recipe. Also we add lentils along with mustard seeds. But it's okay if you miss that lentils also. At times I don't add when I make for my kid's tiffin box. But that's fine.
This is a simple recipe with minimal use of spices just like semolina or suji upma. I have added only salt and a pinch of turmeric powder to it. When we add other spices like coriander powder, cumin powder and red chilli powder or other spices, it tastes different. That is also called differently.
Read my other vermicelli posts like vermicelli pulao and vermicelli biryani. It's all about the magic of aromatic spices we use for different recipes that changes the taste and flavor of the dish completely.
Recipe Card for Vermicelli Upma
- 100 gms Vermicelli
- 5 tbsp Refined Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato optional
- 6 - 8 Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1/2 cup Green Beans diced
- 6 - 8 Cauliflower florets chopped
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Dhuli Urad Dal
- 1 cup Water
- Heat one tsp oil. Roast or shallow fry vermicelli for a minute. Transfer to a clean plate.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chana dal, urad dal and saute for a minute.
- Add in mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- After that put curry leaf, ginger, green Chilli and onion into it. saute on medium flame till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Sauté for another min.
- Add chopped vegetables into it. Sauté for a minute on high flame.
- Then add 1.5 glass of water (appx) into kadai and cover with lid. Add salt as required or as per taste. Add pinch of turmeric if you want.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes and cook till they are done completely.
- Add roasted vermicelli into pan and stir well the mixture.
- Let it simmer till vermicelli is cooked and soaked up all water.
- If required add 1 tsp ghee additionally and stir well.
- Turn off heat when it's all dry and cooked well.
Happy Cooking Friends.
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast options, please read similar recipes like upma, vegetable upma, pinwheel samosa, aloo pyaz poha, aloo matar poha, gobi paratha, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, bread roll, spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, masala dosa sambar, sattu porridge , tomato omelette, whole wheat dosa, atte ka chila, etc on blog.
How to make vermicelli upma?
If you are using store bought vermicelli then first shallow fry it in a tsp ghee for 2 minutes. No need to brown it.
Then heat oil or ghee in a pan. Add 1 tsp chana dal (bengal gram) and 1 tsp white urad dal (dehusked black gram). Saute for a minute.
Then add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add curry leaves, chopped ginger, chopped onion and saute for another 2 - 3 minutes.
Add all chopped vegetables and saute on high flame for a minute or so.
Then add 1 cup water and salt as per taste. Cover with a lid and cook on slow gas till vegetables are soft and cooked.
Then add a pinch of turmeric powder (optional) and shallow fried vermicelli or semiya or sevai. Mix well.
Leave it on medium flame till vermicelli gets cooked and soaked up all water.
keep stirring occasionally so that it won't stick at bottom. Add 1 tsp ghee (optional) and mix well.
Semiya upma is ready. Serve hot.