Wheat Flour Crepes | Atte Ka Cheela
Wheat flour crepes or atte ka cheela are savory crepes made from whole wheat flour. However you can mix it with other flours. This is similar to besan cheela or tomato omelette but here the main ingredient is wheat flour. This is a healthier version of chilla. Aate ka cheela or chilla is easily digestible because of whole wheat flour and a recommendable food for kids and toddlers.
My kid loves this aate ka chilla and calls it as dosa as it resembles regular dosa slightly. This is an instant recipe and does not need any preparation. I have started giving this to him when he was 1 yr old. Even today he loves this atte ka dosa in his tiffinbox.
How to prepare atte ka chilla?
I make atte ka chilla and atte ka dosa both. Though both are similar with little difference in method of preparation. In atte ka chilla I add onion, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. Whereas dosa is plain crepe made from wheat flour or mixture of crepes. You can make any stuffing to serve with atte ka dosa.
When mixing water to flour, add gradually so that it will be lumps free. The batter should be medium flowing consistency. It should not be very thick or very thin. Mix chopped onion, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves.
Heat oil and then spread the batter.
There is another way. Make batter of wheat flour, salt and water.
Heat oil in a tawa. Put curry leaves, ginger, onion 1/2 tsp and wait for 10 15 seconds. Then add batter and spread. I normally make chilla with this method.
These savory crepes have no other spices added other than salt, curry leaves, ginger. Hence easy to feed toddlers and kids. If you want you can add spices like regular besan ka cheela (or chilla). But I like it plain with onion, ginger and curry leaves. You can serve these with tomato ketchup/ any chutney or with tea as breakfast.
It can be made in sweet and savoury both ways. In the sweet pancake, sugar is added to the flour first and then poured to the pan and shallow fried (just like malpua). Well I like to add banana puree to the flour mixture. You can make this mixture with milk
One more point to note: if you are making dosa and want to make them crispy, add semolina and eno or any fruit salt.
Recipe card for atte ka chila or whole wheat crepes
Wheat Flour Pan Cake (Aate ka Chila)
- Wheat flour- 1 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Ginger – 1inch finely chopped
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Green Chilly – 2 finely chopped
- Curry Leaves – 6-7 Finely chopped
- Oil – 7-8 Tbsp
- Mix 1 cup of flour with 2 cups of water to bring a medium thick consistent batter. Add salt as per taste. Add water gradually and mix well till its lumps free.
- Place a pan on low to medium flame. Put 1 tsp refined oil. Put small amount of finely chopped onion, ginger, chilli, curry leaves, coriander leaves.
- Immediately add one ladle batter on it and spread evenly as we do in dosa. Keep the flame in low as it will take time to cook properly. Keep on checking with a fork or spatula and turn it to the other side. Let it cook for 2-3 mins.
- Remove from heat if it’s done completely. Garnish and serve with coriander chutney or tomato ketchup.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
If you have tried our recipes, we would love to hear from you. Please give us rating and share your valuable comment below in comment box. And tag us @mydaintykitchen and #mydaintykitchen