Make these easy, healthy, and quick air fryer zucchini fries for upcoming parties. Great finger food and kid's snacks as well. A quick and delicious appetizer you can serve in any party or as a side dish.
Zucchini is a healthy vegetable. This contains a lot of water along with plenty of vitamins and minerals. This is a low-carb vegetable and suits many diets like the keto diet, paleo, etc. Read more on the health facts of zucchini here.
Zucchini or courgette is a summer squash. These are a bit underrated vegetables as compared to their benefits. You would love these air fryer summer squash, air fryer zucchini, air fryer broccoli and cauliflower. If you love zucchini, you must read my vegan zucchini recipes here.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
These air fryer zucchini fries are so good you will surely love them too. No doubt these are healthier alternatives to traditional deep-fried potato fries.
This is one of the best appetizers you can serve your family or the crowd for some parties and get-togethers. Add the fries to your list of vegan appetizers.
These zucchini fries not only make great party appetizers but also are too easy to make. You can make them in the oven or in an air fryer. However, the air fryer has a few more benefits like these are quicker than oven ones.
Also, you can make them completely oil-free. These zucchini fries are vegan. You can make them gluten-free as well with a few substitutions.
Why these air fryer zucchini fries are so good?
These air fryer zucchini fries are so good and delicious appetizers. You will love them because these are:-
- A healthier alternative to fries
- can be made oil-free or less oil
- quick & easy to make
- takes less than 30-minutes to make
- great finger food
- kids friendly appetizer
- healthier snacking option
- great low-carb alternative to traditional fries (with few modifications)
- can customize as per dietary requirement
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Ingredients you will need:-
Zucchini - you can also add summer squash or yellow squash. For fries, cut them vertically like fingers.
Refined flour + Corn starch:- This will replace the eggwash mixture. You can also substitute with only cornstarch slurry for a gluten-free option.
Plant-based milk:- required to mix with flour. Can substitute with normal water as well.
Seasonings:- Garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning/ herb mix. or oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, paprika,/ cayenne pepper.
Bread Crumbs:- Panko bread crumbs are best to make them crispy. Regular white breadcrumbs or brown breadcrumbs will work too. However, you can take a mix of regular breadcrumbs and panko crumbs. For gluten-free zucchini fries, take brown rice crumbs or any gluten-free crumbs.
Avocado Oil:- To spray or brush oil on fries
Instructions to make zucchini fries in air fryer -
Rinse the zucchini nicely. Remove the top and tail end. Cut the zucchini into wedges. I cut them as I cut my potato wedges, i.e. cut the zucchini into halves horizontally, or depending on the length of the zucchini you can cut them into 2 to 3 equal parts horizontally. Then cut each half vertically into wedges.
Prepare the mixture of batter by adding refined flour and cornstarch in a mixing bowl. Add seasonings, salt, and pepper. Add unsweetened almond milk to make a batter of flowing consistency.
Note - Do not make the batter thick as we need zucchini to be moist enough to hold the breadcrumb coating. And to make the fries crisp this will be just a substitute for eggwash used for coating.
Also on another plate take bread crumbs seasoned with spices (seasoning mix) and a pinch of salt. Take a mix of panko and regular crumbs for better results.
Take out zucchini wedges/ fingers, and dip them into the batter one by one. And roll them in the seasoned bread crumbs.
Repeat the process for double coating. However, I have done single-layer coating here.
In the meantime, preheat the air fryer at 400 f (200C) for 4 - 5 minutes. Then grease the basket with avocado oil (spray or brush). Place the coated pieces and spray a little oil on the top. This will help in making the fries crispy and brown.
Now place the basket back into the air fryer and set the temperature at 360 F or 180 C for 10 minutes. Flip them carefully in the midways (with the help of a tong). Then increase the temperature to 400 F or 200C for the rest of 5 minutes towards the end or till you get (a nice crisp outer layer) checking at 2 minutes intervals. Remove and serve the fries hot and crispy immediately with any dip of choice.
If you love spicy food, coat them with buffalo sauce and serve immediately or bake for another 2 minutes.
For seasoning, you can add any of your favorite seasonings, like Italian seasonings, cajun seasonings, taco seasonings, or ranch seasonings to the breadcrumb mixture.
Else you can also add dried herbs like oregano, basils, thyme, and rosemary, with some paprika.
While coating the zucchini with crumbs, you may coat them twice for thicker and crispier fries. However, one layer of coating also yields nice crunchy bites.
If you are vegetarian, consider replacing the flour batter with 2 beaten eggs. For those who don't want eggs in their diet, try this recipe as said here, i.e. with a mix of all-purpose flour and cornstarch coating.
Tips to make perfect and crispy air fryer zucchini fries
- Cut the zucchini into an even size for even cooking.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket. If required make in batches.
- Spray cooking oil on the basket before placing the breaded zucchini.
- Also, spray oil from the top before air frying. And after flipping in halfway.
- Take a mix of panko crumbs and regular crumbs.
- Flip the fries in halfway for even cooking.
- Preheat the air fryer at high temperature for 4 minutes.
- If cooking in batches, undertook them for 2 - 3 minutes. In the end, place them together in the air fryer basket. And cook for 2 minutes at 400 F.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries - FAQs
Can I store the leftover zucchini fries?
Yes absolutely. The leftover fries can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 - 5 days. You can also store them in the freezer for up to 2 - 3 months. When required to use, take them out and place them in the air fryer for 4 - 5 minutes or till it looks perfectly warm and crispy too. Though they may not taste equally crispy when reheated.
Are zucchini fries healthier than potato fries?
Undoubtedly zucchini fries are a healthier option than potato fries. Zucchini is a low-carb and high-fiber vegetable. It contains lesser calories, carbs, and fat in comparison to potato fries. Again since these zucchini fries are air-fried and not deep-fried, it has really lesser fat and oil in them. This is an added advantage too.
Dipping Sauces for Zucchini Fries
You can serve the air fryer zucchini fries along with any of your favorite dips. However, below are a few suggestions you can pair up with the fries.
- Buffalo sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Chipotle mayo
- Garlic yogurt dressing
- Tomato ketchup
- Marinara sauce
- Garlic aioli
- Cilantro lime sauce
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Oil sprayer
- 2 zucchini
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning mix 1 tsp in flour mix + 1 tsp in bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp paprika 1/2 tsp in flour mix + 1/2 tsp i bread crumbs
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Prepare the mixture of refined flour and cornstarch adding seasonings, salt, and pepper.
- Add milk to make a batter of flowing consistency, not thicker than that.
- We need only to moist enough to hold the breadcrumbs.
- And to make the fries crisp this will be just a substitute for eggwash used for coating.
- Also on another plate take bread crumbs seasoned with spices (seasoning mix) and a pinch of salt.
- Takeout a piece, dip it into the batter.
- And roll them in the seasoned bread crumbs.
- In the meantime, preheat the air fryer at 400 f (200C) for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Then grease the basket with avocado oil (spray or brush).
- Place the coated pieces and spray a little oil from the top.
- Now place the basket back into the air fryer and set it at 360 F or 180 C for 10 minutes.
- Flip them carefully in the midways (with help of a tong).
- Then increase the temperature to 400 F or 200C for rest 5 minutes or till you get (nice crisp outer layer) checking at 2 minutes intervals.
- Remove and serve immediately with any dip of choice.
If you like the recipes and want to stay updated, subscribe via email. Also, I would request you to like and share my Facebook Page. Follow My Dainty Kitchen on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Leave a Comment (And a 5 Star Rating)