Potato wedges are my all-time favorite appetizers. Try the new healthy no-oil air fryer potato wedges. These are easy, vegan, gluten-free appetizers. And kids-friendly also.
These potato wedges are my new addiction. No doubt they are healthy too. Otherwise, I would haven't included them in my appetizers list. To make the deep-fried wedges are easy too, but they make us fat and adds unhealthy fat to our body.
In my post on vegan potato recipes, I have mentioned few health benefits of potatoes. Oh, yes potatoes are healthy also but that depends on the cooking method. Potatoes are rich in carb and unhealthy when you cook them in a lot of oil like deep frying. But when you steam, boil, bake, air-fry, it's healthier than deep-fried ones. It has more protein, fiber. You can check the detailed nutrition of boiled potatoes vs fried potatoes, read this article here.
Air fryer Potato Wedges
These are again easy and quick appetizers. These potato wedges are crispy outside and soft inside. To make your healthy potato wedges, you just need few ingredients, like potatoes, salt, pepper.
To add flavor to the wedges, you can season with garlic powder, onion powder, a pinch of paprika, or cayenne pepper. Add any dried herb if you like that. You can also season with some particular spice mix like cajun spices, fajita seasoning, taco seasoning, etc for that flavor.
You can also air-fry the store-bought frozen wedges or make your own wedges from scratch. Even if you will make the wedges at home from scratch, this won't take much time.
To make the wedges even crispier, keep the cut wedges in cold water for 30 minutes. This is my trick of making the crispy potato appetizers. First, wash the potatoes after you cut them. And second, keep them in ice-cold water for some time.
For these wedges, we need to keep the skin on. So don't peel off the skin unlike other potato dishes (majorly). With skin the wedges are a little more crunchy. And don't forget, the skin has most of the vitamins, minerals. So moreover a healthy vegan appetizer in just 15 minutes.
Why you will love these air fryer potato wedges?
- Air fryer potato wedges are easy to make.
- These are crispy n yummy.
- No preparation, no boiling required.
- No oil/ low oil - Low fat
- Healthy appetizer
- Kids-friendly finger food
- Plant-based, gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free
How to cut the wedges?
Making perfect edges may seem difficult. But not really. This is as easy as chopping it normally. Clean the potatoes thoroughly. Remove if any dirt on the skin as we are not going to peel off the skin.
Now vertically cut the potato into halves. Then halve the two from their center. So the potato is cut into quarters of equal size now.
Next, take each quarter and halve it through the center. So 1 potato will make 8 equal-size wedges. If the potato is too large, you can cut it in half again.
Potatoes - Take medium-sized potatoes for the potato wedges. Yukon gold are the best potatoes for this. But you can take any of them.
Seasoning - Take a mixture of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika. You can also add any other dry herbs to this mix.
Oil - 1 tbsp oil is optional. You can skip this totally. Substitute this with little broth just to moist the spices while coating.
Making Potato Wedges in the Air fryer
Step - 1 - Cut the potatoes into perfect wedges as mentioned above.
(Important Step: After cutting, wash off the potatoes again. Immerse the wedges in a bowl of cold water for 15 - 20 minutes. After that remove from water and wipe out the water using a clean paper napkin. However, this step helps in making the wedges crispy. So I have edited it from optional to important. I have tried multiple times to check this both soaking and not soaking. Soaking in chilled water for sometime removes the starch and helps in making the wedges crispy.)
Step - 2 - Place the wedges in a large mixing bowl. Add the seasoning mix (mentioned in the ingredient list). Toss it well (use fingers to mix) so that it's well coated with the seasoning mix. If required add 1 tsp oil or just skip it.
Step - 3 - Place the wedges inside the air-fryer. Arrange them in a single layer (No multiple layers). Don't over-crowd it so that they will be cooked evenly. Rather make them in batches if making in large quantities.
Step - 4 - Start the air-fryer at 400 F and bake for 15 minutes. Toss them in between at around after every 5 minutes. (Preheat for 5 minutes if only your air fryer instructions say that.)
**Note - If you are making them in batches, reduce the time after the first batch. As it's hot, it cooks quickly.
Oven-Baked Potato Wedges
There is another healthier way to make these potato wedges in an oven too few just one step difference.
Follow first two steps as mentioned above.
Step 3 - Preheat oven at 400F.
Step 4 - Line parchment paper on a baking sheet or pan. Now place the seasoned potato wedges on it. Bake at 400 F for 35 minutes. Toss or flip the wedges making sure it's evenly crispy on all sides.
That's all. Oven-baked potato wedges are ready. Sprinkle some fresh herbs and serve with tomato ketchup or any dip of choice.
Tips to make perfect wedges
1. No need to boil the potatoes unlike the deep-frying method of making these wedges. Also, these are not coated with any flour. Hence these are totally flour-less potatoes.
2. Keep potatoes in ice-cold water for a minimum of 15 - 30 minutes before adding seasoning. This will help to remove starch and will make the wedges crispy.
3. You can totally skip the oil and just mix the seasoning with potatoes. You may or may not grease the air fryer basket. Potatoes will not stick to it.
4. Don't over-crowd the air fryer basket for even frying the potato wedges. Arrange the wedges in a single layer only. If making in large quantities, make in batches.
5. Reduce the time after the 1st batch as it cooks a little quicker since it's hot. Also, all air fryers cook slightly differently depending on the quartz. Also, the type of potatoes has different cooking times. Russet potatoes get cooked quickly than others. So set your timer accordingly.
Recipe Card for Potato Wedges
Air fryer Potato Wedges
Cut the potato wedges
- Wash and clean the potatoes.
- Cut the potato into halves lengthwise.
- Place them on the chopping board and cut again into equal halves (lengthwise)
- Now the potato is cut into quarters.
- Take each quarter and cut through the center edge into halves.
- Now 4 parts are cut into 8 wedges.
- If the potato is large and you are getting large quarters, You can cut them into 3 equal parts too but cut them through crenter edge only.
- Optional - Wash the potatoes through freshwater. Then keep the wedges in cold water for 15 minutes. Then remove from water and wipe out water.
Season the Potato Wedges
- Place the wedges in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all seasoning mix along with olive oil (optional) to the bowl.
- Mix them well using hand.
Air-fry Potato Wedges
- Place the seasoned wedges inside the air-fryer container.
- Don't over-crowd the container for an even cooking.
- Now air-fry the potatoes at 400F for about 15 minutes.
- Toss them in the midway at around 7 minutes.
- Remove after done.
- Sprinkle some fresh herbs and serve.
Oven-baked Potato Wedges
- Pre-heat the oven at 400 F.
- Line the baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Place the seasoned wedges on the baking sheet.
- Bake the wedges for 35 minutes.
- In the midway toss/ flip the wedges so that it will be evenly crispy.
- Remove from oven when cooked.
- Sprinkle some fresh herbs and serve with tomato ketchup.
PIN IT FOR LATER