Air fryer Potato wedges are my all-time favorite appetizer. These are perfectly crispy outside with fluffy inside. They make easy, vegan, gluten-free appetizers.
Traditionally we deep fry potato wedges But these air fryer potato wedges are apt for guilt-free snacking since in the air fryer you need to use a minimal amount of oil. These are easy and quick vegan appetizers. These potato wedges are crispy outside and fluffy within.
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
To make potato wedges in the air fryer, cut them into wedges, and season them with salt and other seasoning. Transfer the seasoned potatoes to the preheated air fryer basket. And bake for 12 - 14 minutes at 400F, flipping them halfway through. But there are a few tricks you have to follow for perfect crispy potato wedges.
Ingredients You'll Need
Potatoes - Take medium-sized potatoes for the potato wedges. Yukon gold is the best potato for this. But you can take any of them.
Seasoning - Mix salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. You can also add any other dry herbs to this mix.
Oil - 1 tbsp avocado oil or any vegetable oil
Oil is optional. You can substitute oil with a little broth just to moisten the spices while coating.
Making Potato Wedges In The Air Fryer
Step - 1 - Cut the potatoes into perfect wedges. After cutting, wash off the potatoes again. Immerse the wedges in a bowl of cold water for 15 - 20 minutes. After that remove from water and wipe out the water using a clean paper napkin.
Step - 2 - Place the wedges in a large mixing bowl. Add the seasoning mix (mentioned in the ingredient list), followed by 1 tbsp oil. Toss it well to coat the potatoes with the seasoning.
Step - 4 - Preheat the air-fryer to 400 F for 3 - 4 minutes. Place the wedges inside the air-fryer. Arrange them in a single layer. Air-fry the potato wedges for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F. Shake the basket halfway through.
**Note - If you make them in batches, reduce the time (by 2 - 3 minutes) after the first batch. As it's hot, it cooks quickly.
Oven-Baked Potato Wedges
You can also bake them in the oven. Preheat oven to 400F. Place the seasoned potato wedges on a baking tray and bake at 400 F for 35 minutes. Toss or flip the wedges making sure it's evenly crispy on all sides.
How to cut the potato wedges?
Clean the potatoes thoroughly. Remove any dirt on the skin, as we will not peel off the skin. Now, vertically cut the potato into halves. Then, halve the two from their center. So the potato is cut into quarters of equal size now. Next, take each quarter and halve it through the center. So, one potato will make eight equal-size wedges. If the potato is too large, you can cut it in half again.
Expert tips to make perfect potato wedges
1. No need to boil the potatoes before air frying, unlike the deep-frying method of making these wedges. An air fryer cooks evenly by circulating hot air evenly.
2. Keep potatoes in ice-cold water for a minimum of 15 - 30 minutes before adding seasoning. This will help to remove excess starch and will make the wedges crispy.
3. You can skip the oil or substitute with broth 1 tbsp and mix the seasoning with potatoes. However, adding oil also helps make the wedges look crispy and golden/ brown.
5. Don't over-crowd the air fryer basket for even frying the potato wedges. Arrange the wedges in a single layer only.
5. Reduce the time after the 1st batch as it cooks quicker since it's already hot.
Also, all air fryers cook slightly differently depending on the size and brand of the air fryer. And different types of potatoes have different cooking times. Russet potatoes get cooked more quickly than other varieties. So, if you are a beginner in air frying, observe and set the timing for your air fryer, as it may vary by 2 - 3 minutes.
Dips To Serve With Air Fryer Potato Wedges
The list is vast to serve the potato wedges. You can pair it up with your favorite dips. Here are a few suggestions to try -
1. Classic Tomato Ketchup - You can never go wrong with a classic dip like tomato ketchup. The mild combination of sweet to spicy to tangy is what I love about this dip.
2. Garlic Aioli - Creamy garlic aioli is another great dip for wedges. This can easily be customized to vegan as well.
3. Spicy Sriracha Mayo - This is for you if you like a hint of spiciness in your dip. Mayo balances the sauce's heat, though, soothing to the taste buds.
4. Ranch Dressing - Make this with mayonnaise yogurt, sour cream, and herbs like dill and parsley. And season with the spices like garlic powder, onion powder, and salt making a perfect dip to serve with it.
For more, check out the collection of 40+ vegan dips.
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Cut The Potato Into Wedges
- Wash and clean the potatoes nicely. Rub with a brush to clean any dirt or impurities on the skin.
- Cut the potato into halves lengthwise.
- Place them on the chopping board and cut again into equal halves (lengthwise)
- Now the potato is cut into quarters.
- Take each quarter and cut through the center edge into halves.
- Now 4 parts are cut into 8 wedges.
- If the potato is large and you are getting large quarters, You can cut them into 3 equal parts too but cut them through crenter edge only.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly in freshwater. Then keep the wedges in cold water for 15 - 30 minutes. Then remove from water and wipe out water.
Season the Potato Wedges
- Place the wedges in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all seasoning mix along with olive oil (broth) to the bowl.
- Mix them well, using hand for better results.
Air-fry Potato Wedges
- Place the seasoned wedges inside the air-fryer container.
- Don't over-crowd the container for an even cooking.
- Now air-fry the potatoes at 400F for about 15 minutes.
- Toss them in half way at around 7 - 8 minutes.
- Remove after it's done.
- Sprinkle some fresh herbs and serve.
Oven-baked Potato Wedges
- Pre-heat the oven at 400 F.
- Line the baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Place the seasoned wedges on the baking sheet.
- Bake the wedges for 35 minutes.
- In the midway toss/ flip the wedges so that it will be evenly crispy.
- Remove from oven when cooked.
- Sprinkle some fresh herbs and serve with tomato ketchup.
PIN IT FOR LATER