This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Cabbage stir fry is an easy go-to dinner for me along with either rice or flatbreads. This is healthy too. Make this stir-fried cabbage quickly in just 20 minutes. Also, this is vegan, gluten-free.
Stir-fried cabbage or cabbage fry is an easy everyday main course dish. Cabbage is a low-carb vegetable and if you are on any weight-loss mission, then cabbage is one of the best vegetables.
Cabbage is a superfood and full of nutrients. This low-carb vegetable has numerous health benefits. We must include this vegetable in your diet.
This is such a versatile vegetable you can either eat them raw or cooked. In raw form, it is best used as a slaw or in salads. Other than that, you can saute, stir fry, steam, bake.
For more ideas, read my vegan cabbage recipes on the blog. I will keep on adding some more in the future. Cabbage and green peas are the ultimate combination. This is one of the common Indian main course dishes which are fit for the everyday menu. You can also add carrots and green beans to the cabbage stir-fry.
Stir-fried cabbage is an easy quick dish and you don’t need any fancy ingredients or any meat to make cabbage delicious. Many found cabbage is not tasty without meat.
But trust me in Indian cuisine, cabbage stir-fry is one of the most flavorful dishes, yet vegan. Just a few spices and your yummy cabbage stir-fry is ready. Check out my other delicious vegan cabbage recipes. This stir-fry recipe is similar to Ethiopian cabbage stir fry.
- Green peas
- Ginger garlic minced
- Spices – cumin seeds, coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala (optional)
- Herbs – Fresh cilantro leaves
How to cut cabbage for this stir-fry?
For this stir-fry, you can either shred the cabbage or chop it roughly. Cooking time depends on how the cabbage is cut. If it’s chopped roughly, add them a little earlier i.e. when potatoes are cooked 40 – 50%. When it’s finely shredded, add them when potatoes are 80 – 90% cooked.
Heat oil in a skillet. Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add chopped onion, ginger, garlic, and sauté for a minute. Then add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are soft. Now add all the spices mentioned. Give a nice stir and add 2 – 4 tbsp water so that the spices won’t burn.
Now add the potatoes, carrots, green peas. Add 1/4 cup water and stir well. Cover with a lid and simmer for 5 – 6 minutes or till the vegetables are fork-tender. Next, add chopped cabbage and stir quickly. Cover the skillet again and cook for 5 – 7 minutes again. Now keep it on high flame for some time. Don’t overcook as it will turn mushy.
Then turn off the heat and add freshly chopped cilantro leaves and some garam masala. How ever garam masala is optional. You can also skip this.
If you are following the keto or low carb diet, then follow my keto sauteed cabbage with lemon garlic. You can also include red cabbage, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower in your keto stir-fried cabbage.
Recipe: Cabbage Stir-fry
Stir fried cabbage
- Skillet/ pan/ kadai
- 1 large potato
- 2 cups cabbage finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 2 small carrots diced
- 1 medium onion chopped/diced
- salt as per taste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 4 garlic pods 1/2 tsp minced
- 1/2 inch ginger minced
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- Heat a frying pan and add 3 tbsp oil.
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- After that add finely chopped ginger, garlic, onion chopped.
- Saute till translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Sauté till tomatoes are soft.
- Then add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Sauté for a minute. You may add 1 – 2 tbsp of water to avoid burning of masala.
- Add diced potatoes, carrots, and green peas.
- Toss them well. Add half of the salt and 1/4 cup water.
- Cover it with a lid.
- Simmer for 5 – 6 minutes till it's 70 – 80% cooked.
- Add chopped cabbage and mix well.
- Again cover well and cook for another 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add a pinch of garam masala. This is optional though.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.