If you belong to a North Indian Family, aloo kachori is a very familiar and loved name. I came to know about this recipe from my mother-in-law and this is her version of stuffed aloo kachori. And I believe, this is the bestever aloo kachori that I have ever tried.
Aloo Kachori | Potato Stuffed Kachori |North Indian Style
Kids will also love this kachori. Even my fussy eating kid is a great fan of these aloo kachori. Poori and kachori are my husband's favorite food too. So this is common dish which is made very often especially on weekends and a compulsory menu during any celebrations.
How to prepare aloo kachori
This is a great breakfast option or tea time snacks. We make this from whole wheat flour and hence this is healthy for our tummy also. Because of potato stuffing, this is filling as well.
So if you are worried about your kid's tiffin box, this is one of the best food item. It doesn't take much time also to prepare. Only thing you need to take care is boil potatoes and cool it completely before using.
You can make potato mixture from night and keep in freeze. In morning just stuff it in puri and fry in hot oil.
Potato stuffing you can prepare by mixing mashed potatoes with other spices or by sauteing them with spices. But in that case again you need to cool it completely. You can add finely chopped onions, minced garlic, finely chopped green chillies and coriander leaves with the stuffing masala.
I have used boiled potatoes and added the spices to it before stuffing. My mom doesn't even need rolling pin to make this aloo kachori. She is an expert in making it or say rolling it with her palms only.
However I do use rolling pin to make circles. Don't make in large size as it may make the layer very thin and stuffing may come out. When using rolling pin, don't press it very hard. Roll it with light hand so that edges will be intact and not open up with stuffing.
Another important step is making soft dough. Use fruit salt or Eno along with curd for dough of kachori. I use Eno and hung curd. You can use home made curd also. This makes the layer soft and crispy at the same time. Then knead it well. Leave it covered for 5 - 10 minutes before starting.
Recipe Card for Aloo Kachori
Aloo Kachori - A Popular North Indian Food
Stuffing and frying
- 1 cup Refined Oil
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, curd, fruit salt, oil. mix them together. Add water slowly and gradually and knead a soft dough.
- Take out small balls from the dough.
- Take boiled potatoes, peel out the skin and mash them thoroughly. You can grate them also.
- Mix all ingredients mentioned under stuffing category in ingredient list.
- Mix them completely. Adjust salt as per taste.
- Now from the dough take out small balls. apply oil on rolling pin and board and make a small circle. Take out half teaspoon stuffing masala and place on centre.
- Close it from all ends towards centre and press lightly.
- Then with help of rolling pin roll the stuffed ball into small circle like poori.
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Put the rolled kachori into hot oil.
- Flip to other side and remove from oil when both sides are crisp and golden in color.
- Place on paper towel. Perfectly rolled kachori puffs well.
- Serve hot kachori with tea or curd or green chutney.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa