Veg Mughlai Paratha/ Paneer Paratha/ Moglai Paratha
Mughlai paratha is a popular street food of West Bengal and Bangladesh. Authentically they are stuffed with egg and keema. However this Veg Mughlai Paratha is a vegetarian version of traditional mughlai paratha. So we have replaced keema with scrumbled paneer. If you are vegan, you can try the same with scrumbled tofu.
This is so delicious that you can’t stop yourself with only one paratha. The paratha and paneer makes heavenly combination. This paratha is so soft that it melts in mouth. These veg mughlai paratha is so scrumptious that kids will love them anytime. So great tiffin box idea for kids. At the same time its healthier because of protein rich paneer.
Recipe Card for Veg Mughlai Paratha
- 5 - 6 tbsp Oil
- 1 ltr Milk
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 Onion finey chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped (seedless)
- 2 Garlic pods minced
- 1/4 inch Ginger minced
- 1/2 Capsicum finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 pinch Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves
- Heat milk in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling add vinegar. Let it simmer for sometime. Then strain out water and keep paneer aside.
- heat oil in a pan. add cumin seeds. after the crackle, add ginger, garlic, onion and saute for a minute. then add tomatoes and capsicum. mix well and cook for another minute on high flame.
- Add all spices mention above ingredients list. Stir well. Add paneer and saute for 2 - 3 minutes stirring in between. add chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Remove for heat and keep aside to cool slightly before stuffing them.
- Roll one flatbread (slightly thicker like any other paratha). Spread the stuffing evenly leaving margin of 1 inch from all sides so as to close it like an envelope.
- Close from all sides as shown in the picture. Press lightly and seal the ends of folds. No need to roll it again.
- Press the joints especially but do it lightly.
- Heat a tawa and place the paratha on it. Flip it when one side is light brown and apply ghee/ oil on top of it. Do the same to the reverse side. Press corners and sides to check so that they will be cooked evenly.
- Remove from heat and serve them hot.
How to make veg mughlai paratha/ moglai paratha
I have made this paneer or cottage cheese at home. Making paneer is very easy. Read my post on how to make paneer at home in 15 minutes.
Boil 1 litre milk and add 2 tbsp vinegar once it starts boiling. The milk will curdle. Add 1 more tsp vinegar if required. You can also use lemon for this but I don’t like as it will have the flavor of lemon in this and you will have to wash the paneer completely. Vinegar is convenient. Now strain out the paneer with muslin cloth or strainer.
The real taste of this paratha is that the paneer will get cooked first before we add as this as stuffing. So extra flavors added to it.
It’s easy and in 15 minutes you can make 5 – 6 paratha easily. This mughlai paratha reminds me of those envelops. After stuffing, its sealed like an envelope.
This recipe idea I got from Hebbar’s Kitchen. I thought it’s a best idea for my kid’s tiffin as he is a fussy eater. I do keep on doing experiment and I’m so happy that he loved this stuffed paneer paratha so much that he demands now. He has three favourite paratha i.e. aloo paratha, methi paratha, paneer paratha. Last time I have tried bathua paratha and he loved that.
Well I have modified the original recipe bit to give it a healthier twist. Originally it’s made with refined flour or maida. But in this recipe, I’m using whole wheat flour. You can use any of the flour.
If you like paratha then you can also make Aloo Paratha, Gobi Paratha, Lauki Paratha. These are great food ideas for kid’s tiffin box. My kid loves all these stuffed parathas. I’m sure this is one of the best ideas to give them veggies since early age.