Hyderabadi bagara baingan is a delicious South Indian eggplant curry. This delicious curry is easy to make too. Also, this is vegan and gluten-free.
Bagara Baingan or Baghar-e-baingan is an eggplant curry that is typical to Hyderabad. That's why this dish is basically known as Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan. The bagara baingan is a side dish with Biryani like Mirchi ka salan and also other salan dishes.
This curry is different from regular onion and tomato curry paste. It's so delicious and tangy in taste. I'm not exaggerating but this dish is just an irresistible one. The combination of nuts, spices makes it so delicious and drool-worthy.
Just loved my bagara baingan. It goes best with steamed rice or plain roti or paratha. This is one of my family favorites.
I have tried this Hyderabadi bagara baingan many times and I'm totally in love with this baby eggplant curry cooked in a tangy & nutty gravy base.
How to make bagara baingan or eggplant curry in Hyderabadi Style
Wash and clean brinjals or baby eggplants. Make vertical slits till half-length.
Heat 3 - 4 tbsp oil in a pan. Shallow fry brinjals till it's cooked. Remove from pan and keep aside for use.
Making curry paste for bagara baingan
Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chili for a minute. Remove and transfer to a dry plate and let it cool for some time.
Dry roast peanuts, desiccated coconut, sesame seeds one by one till golden brown. Keep it on a dry plate to cool down a little before blending.
Transfer all contents to a blender. Add soaked tamarind to the blender. Blend it to a fine paste.
Preparing gravy for bagara baingan
Heat oil in a pan or Kadai. Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds (methi seeds), curry leaves, ginger garlic paste.
Add finely chopped onion and saute till translucent. Then add the prepared curry paste and mix well.
Add 1/2 cup water and season with salt. Simmer for 5 minutes till it's cooked. Now add shallow fried eggplants to the gravy.
Simmer for 5 minutes more till brinjals soak flavors of gravy. Curry is ready. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan
- Skillet/ pan/ kadai
- 500 gms aubergine or baby eggplants
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil or canola oil
For Curry Paste
- Wash and clean eggplants properly.
- Vertically slit into quarters but make sure not to cut them completely.
- Don't remove the crown of eggplants.
- Shallow fry the eggplants till it is cooked. Don't over cook them.
- Stir occasionally and make sure they are intact and not broken.
Making Curry Paste
- Dry roast all ingredients mentioned in ingredients list under curry paste. (except tamarind)
- If you have dry tamarind, soak it in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend it to smooth puree.
- Curry paste for bagara baingan is ready.
Preparation of Curry
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves.
- Then add finely chopped onion. saute till onion translucent.
- Add prepared curry paste and stir well. Season with salt.
- Add 1 cup water and cook for 5 minutes or till it's cooked and leaves oil on surroundings.
- Add fried brinjals to gravy and simmer for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Pin it for later