Bagara Baingan or Baghar-e-baingan is an eggplant curry which is typical to Hyderabad. That’s why this dish is basically known as Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan. The bagara baingan is a side dish with Biryani just like Mirchi ka salan and also other salan dishes.
This curry is different from regular onion and tomato curry paste. It’s so delicious and tangy in taste I’m planning to prepare my next bagara baingan tomorrow itself. I’m not exaggerating but this dish is just irresistible one.
I got this recipe idea of Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan from Nalini’s Cooking channel in one social media platform. I don’t remember if I have sticked to that recipe fully or not, but I learned the process and tried to replicate it. Just loved my bagara baingan. It goes best with steamed rice or plain roti or paratha.
I have tried this hyderabadi bagara baingan recently and I’m totally in love with this recipe. I love trying new recipes and sharing the best ones.
Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan
- 500 gms aubergine or baby eggplants
- 3 tbsp refined oil
For Curry Paste
- Wash and clean eggplants properly. Vertically slit into quarters but make sure not to cut them completely. Don’t remove the crown of brinjals.
- Shallow fry the egg plants till it is cooked. Don’t over cook them.
- Stir occasionally and make sure they are intact and not broken.
Making Curry Paste
- Dry roast all ingredients mentioned in ingredients list under curry paste. (except tamaring)
- If you have dry tamarind, soak it in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and blend it to smooth puree.
- Curry paste for bagara baingan is ready.
Preparation of Curry
- Heat oil in a pan. add cumin seeds and let it splutter. add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves.
- Then add finely chopped onion. saute till onion translucent.
- Add prepared curry paste and stir well. Season with salt.
- Add 1 cup water and cook for 5 minutes or till it’s cooked and leaves oil on surroundings
- Add fried brinjals to gravy and simmer for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
How to make bagara baingan or egg plant curry in Hyderabadi Style
Wash and clean brinjals or baby eggplants. Make vertical slits till half length.
Heat 3 – 4 tbsp oil in a pan. Shallow fry brinjals till it’s cooked. Remove from pan and keep aside for use.
Making curry paste for bagara baingan
Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chilli till for a minute.
Dry roast peanuts, dessicated coconut, sesame seeds one by one till golden brown.
Transfer all contents to a blender
Add soaked tamarind to the blender.
Blend it to a fine paste.
Preparing gravy for bagara baingan
Heat oil in a pan or kadai. Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds (methi seeds), curry leaves, ginger garlic paste.
add finely chopped onion and saute till translucent.
Add prepared curry paste and mix well.
Add water and season with salt. Simmer for 5 minutes till it’s cooked.
Now add shallow fried egg plants to the gravy.
Simmer for 5 minutes more till brinjals soak flavours of gravy.
Curry is ready. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Pin it for later