Homemade Dum Aloo in Restaurant Style
Dum Aloo is a delicious preparation of potatoes. This is easy to prepare and a mild rich dish. This dum aloo is different from Kashmiri dum aloo.
Potatoes play a very important role in our Indian cooking. This is one of the most loved vegetables starting from kids to adults. However, because of the high carb factor, this is not recommended for diabetic patients. Well, it has many health benefits also. Especially given to kids who want to gain weight. This is a rich source of potassium.
When we make aloo or potato dishes, its prepared in many ways and the preparation method varies from each other and so also the taste. If you will read the Kashmiri Dum Aloo, its completely different from this North Indian Style Dum Aloo.
The gravy in this recipe is normally thick, smooth and with a creamy texture because of the cashew nuts added. This is a vegan dish. You can also add almonds along with cashews.
On fasting days in India, many places they make Aloo Tomato which is a light gravy dish and without no onion & garlic in this. So that's how it's different and superbly delicious.
Again it's cooked in combination with almost all vegetables, like Aloo Gobi, Aloo Matar, Aloo Tomato, Aloo Bhindi, Aloo Parwal, Aloo Baingan, Aloo Simla etc etc. Its added in biryani, tehri or pulao for additional taste. Its stuffed inside breads to make sandwiches, bread rolls, bread pakoda; stuffed in side flat breads Aloo paratha.
The list is so long. Its such a versatile vegetable. It gives a completeness to our appetite. Don't really know why. But the sad part is it promotes weight gain when you eat in excess. So those who love to be in shape have to keep their potato love away 🙂
Recipe Card For Restaurant Style Dum Aloo
Home Made Dum Aloo in Restaurant Style
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 500 gms Baby potatoes boiled & peeled
- 3 Medium Onion
- 6 Garlic pods chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger chopped
- 1 tejpatta (bay leaf)
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom (small)
- 5 Cloves
- 8 - 10 Black pepper
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 3 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp kasurimethi roasted and crushed
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 1/2 tsp Aamchur Powder/ Dry Mango Powder
- Boil baby potatoes for 2 whistles. Peel the skin and poke with a toothpick. Add 1/2 tsp chilli powder and a pinch of turmeric powder and keep aside for 10 minutes. (Optional)
- Heat 5 - 6 tbsp oil in a pan. shallow fry the boiled and peeled baby potatoes. Keep aside on paper napkin to get rid of excess oil.
- In rest of oil, add cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaf,garlic, ginger and saute for 1 minute.
- Add chopped onion and saute till translucent. Add in cashews and saute for another minute. Turn off gas and cool them. Grind to a fine paste.
- Heat 1tbsp oil. Add red chilli powder. After 15 - 20 seconds add onion paste and mix well. Add coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix well. Cook till the paste leaves oil from surrounding. Add tomato puree and salt. mix well.
- Cook for another 2 - 3 minutes on medium heat. Add dry roasted kasuri methi. (Crush them with palms before adding). Add in shallow fried potatoes to the pan.
- Add 1 cup water and let it simmer for some time. Add finely chopped coriander leaves and mix well. Turn off heat in next 2 minutes or desired consistency. Add aamchur powder and stir.
- This dish comes with thick gravy. So don't add more water to the gravy. Turn off gas and serve this with poori, paratha or rice.
If you love potatoes you will love these recipes too:
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
Leave a Comment (And a 5 Star Rating)