This North Indian Style Aloo Tomato Curry (vegan potato curry) is an easy fasting recipe. This is a simple vegan, no onion no garlic, Indian curry that takes less than 15 minutes.
Aloo Tomato Curry (Farali Vrat Recipe)
You can also pressure cook them for 2 whistles if you don't have boiled potatoes. But I like to boil the potatoes first and then adding them to the gravy. This dish has no onion and no garlic and hence one fasting food. This is also a popular everyday curry in North India.
I love this no onion no garlic aloo tomato curry or spicy potato tomato curry even on regular days. But when you will cook on a regular day (other than fasting days), the best part is that extra punch of flavor from asafoetida or hing.
If you eat curry leaves on fasting, add to the curry. In case you don't eat any of the ingredients then you can skip that. Also, use rock salt only for fasting food preparation as you can't take regular salt.
If you love potatoes, then also read quick potato recipes:
Also read other fasting recipes on our blog.
North Indian Style Aloo Tomato Curry
- 2 - 3 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Boil potatoes and peel off the skin.
- Roughly break potatoes into small pieces.
- It will be little mashy also.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add chopped ginger and green chillies.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Add hing or asafoetida now for non fasting recipes. Fasting recipes skip this step.
- Cook till tomatoes are soft and cooked well.
- Add all spices and saute for 15 - 20 seconds.
- Then add 1/2 cup water and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water more, salt and let it boil for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Adjust water as per the consistency you need.
- Then add roughly mashed/ smashed potatoes to the gravy.
- Let it simmer for 3 - 5 minutes more.
- Turn off heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Method II: Cooking in one pot
- Peel off skin of potatoes and dice it.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot or pan or pressure cooker.
- Heat oil.
- Add cumin seeds and splutter.
- Add ginger and green chillies.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook on medium heat till tomatoes are a little soft.
- Now add all ground spices mentioned above in ingredients list.
- Stir and saute for a minute.
- Now add little water and cook for another minute.
- Then add chopped potatoes and give it a nice stir.
- Saute for a minute or so.
- Then add 1/2 - 3/4 cup water.
- Season with salt as per taste. (rocksalt)
- Cover the lid.
- For open pot, simmer on low flame for 15 minutes or till potatoes are well cooked.
- For pressure cooker, pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Then let the pressure release naturally.
- Open lid of the cooker/ pot.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves and a dash of lemon juice (optional).
- Serve hot.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa