Potato croquettes are easy party appetizers. These are quick appetizers and also you can make ahead them for your upcoming parties like Thanksgiving party appetizers, new year's eve parties, gameday snacking, and many more such occasions.
I loved such cheesy appetizers a lot and so also my kid and family. These are so soft and flavorful that they will just melt in your mouth giving a burst of flavors and deliciously cheesy ecstasy. Perfect party appetizers in true senses.
You can play around with the seasonings to make these potato croquettes in different flavors. Here I have taken Italian seasoning mix for this recipe. The seasonings make it more tasty and flavorful indeed.
Originally this belongs to Italian cuisine but is one of the popular snacks that are kid-friendly also. This is very easy to prepare and takes less than 30 minutes for the whole process.
Tips to Make The Best Potato Croquettes
Cool the potatoes - Only one suggestion for better binding of the croquettes, you need to boil the potatoes in well advance and cool them completely before mixing other ingredients and flour.
Otherwise, it will be sticky and won't bind properly. This might spoil your whole preparation. Also, be careful not to overcook the potatoes. Else you need to add more flour (as a binding agent).
Veggies added- To the potatoes, I have added corns. You can also add other veggies like carrots and peppers to make it a little more vibrant. Or ground meat if you are a meat-eater. However, this is vegetarian and also has no eggs.
Eggwash Substitute - If you are an eggetarian, you can take beaten eggs for eggwash. However, I have substituted the eggwash with corn starch slurry. So vegans can enjoy these potato croquettes by substituting the cheese with shredded vegan cheese. Rest other ingredients will be the same.
Bread Crumbs - To make the croquettes evenly brown and golden, I prefer regular brown bread as compared to panko bread crumbs. Though panko makes them crispier. Or you can also take a mixture of both the crumbs in equal quantity.
Quantity of spices and herbs - Use your judgment for the quantity of the spices and herbs you will add to the croquettes as per the flavor you like in them rather than the quantities mentioned in any recipe.
Ingredients you will need -
Starchy Potatoes - starchy potatoes are the best to r such recipes since they bind the ingredients nicely and don't fall apart.
Seasoning - Here I am taking an Italian seasoning mix. My seasoning mix has oregano, basil leaves, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper powder, salt. You can add any of the herbs as per your taste too. (Use your judgment for the quantity of the spices and herbs you will add to the croquettes as per the flavor you like in them rather than the quantities mentioned in any recipe.)
Veggies - Though it's optional, you can add a few of them in small quantities for more flavor and taste. I have taken corn and onions since they will add a crunchy bite to them. If you love spicy ones, add deseeded jalapeno poppers.
Cheese - Any cheese that melts makes the potato croquettes cheesy and delicious. I have taken shredded mozzarella cheese for this dish. you can take any of them. Either you can use mozzarella sticks for this recipe too. Cut the stick into the desired size.
Substitute of cheese - To make this dish totally vegan, consider taking vegan shredded cheese or any cheese that melts.
For Coating - Cornstarch to make slurry, breadcrumbs. And if you eat eggs, you can substitute cornstarch slurry with beaten eggs.
Oil Spray - These are required to coat the croquettes for air frying or baking. We are not deep frying them here.
How to Make the Potato croquettes?
Take boiled/ cooked potatoes. You can cook them using your instant pot for 8 - 10 minutes. or on the stovetop in a pot till it's cooked and soft. Remove the peel once these are done. Now mash the potatoes with help of a potato masher. Let it cool completely. Don't add other ingredients while it's still hot/ warm.
Once the potatoes are cold enough, add the veggies if you are adding any along with the seasoning mix or herbs mix to the potato mixture. Mix them nicely using your hand if possible for better mixing of ingredients.
Now divide the potato mixture into small roundels. Take one roundel and flatten making a disc. Place the cheese and close the sides to make a ball again. Or make small logs like I have made here by rolling the ball to a tiny log shape. Repeat for all the logs.
The whole preparation took less than 30 minutes. It's very simple and easy to prepare with few ingredients which are readily available in the market.
Here for coating, I have used both flour and bread crumbs. Personally, I like when it's coated with bread crumbs. Because breadcrumbs make them more crispy.
Can I freeze the potato Croquettes?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze the homemade potato croquettes. Prepare the stuffed potato croquettes and follow until coating with the bread crumbs. Now keep them on a baking tray and keep them inside the freezer for up to 1 - 2 hrs. Then take out the tray and transfer the croquettes to a freezer bag. Store up to 3 - 4 months. Whenever required, remove and place in the freeze for 2 - 3 hrs. Then follow the steps to air fry or Bake the croquettes.
Frozen Potato Croquettes
Ahh, easiest one. Right!! Yes, absolutely. No need to thaw the croquettes, No need to spray oil since the frozen have already has some oil in it and they don't need additional oil to air fry or bake the potato croquettes. Simply place them in the air fryer basket and cook them at 400 F/ 200c for 12 minutes or till they all turn golden and crispy.
Recipe Card for Potato Croquettes
Cheesy Potato Croquettes
- 4 medium potatoes
- ½ bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped or 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 2 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic
- 1½ tbsp mixed herbs oregano, basil, parsley
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- ¾ - 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or shredded vegan cheese)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch for slurry
- 1 tbsp refined flour for slurry (optional)
- 1 cup bread crumbs/ refined flour for coating
- Cook potatoes in an Instant pot or stovetop.
- Remove the potato skins.
- Then mash or grate it completely using a potato masher.
- Cool it completely before adding any ingredients.
- Add chopped veggies, spices and herbs to the mashed potatoes.
- Make small roundels of equal size from the potato mixture.
- Then apply oil on both palms. Take a ball, press it lightly to flatten slightly.
- Put some shredded cheese in centre.
- Seal it from all ends and roll it to make a ball again.
- Repeat this for all balls and make stuffed balls.
- Roll the balls lightly making small logs.
- Make a slurry of flowing consistency by mixing cornstarch, all purpose flour and water. You can also make the slurry with only cornstarch and water.
- Dip the shaped potato balls or logs into the slurry.
- Remove from the slurry and roll them on bread crumbs.
- Repeat this for all stuffed croquettes.
Air Fry the Potato Croquettes
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 4 minutes.
- Then Grease the air fryer basket with oil sprayer.
- Place the coated croquettes, in the basket.
- From top spray some oil to coat them lightly.
- Place the basket inside and start the air fryer at 375 F/ 190 C for 15 minutes, till it turns golden and crispy.
- Flipping is not required though.
- Remove when you feel these are done perfectly.
- Serve with your favorite dip.
Air Fryer Frozen Potato Croquettes
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 3 minutes.
- Place the potato croquettes in the air fryer basket.
- No need to spray oil since frozen has already oil in it.
- Start the air fryer at 400 F for 10 - 12 minutes.
PIN IT FOR LATER