This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Dahi Aloo Recipe| Fasting Recipe | Vrat Recipe
This is one of the most popular fasting or vrat recipe during Navratri. Dahi aloo or dahi wale aloo sabzi is basically a potato dish which is cooked in curd as gravy and other spice mix.
This is a popular dish in North India especially as Navratri is one of the major festival in North India where many people observe fast for 9 consecutive days. This is not easy to fast for 9 days. There are few food option available during these 9 days. Potato is one of those vegetable which is allowed to consume on such days.
So this is one of my ultimate dish on fasting days. You can make this as a combo meal with kuttu or singhada puri, sama chawal khichdi. This infact completes the menu and keeps you full. Also it’s tangy, spicy and aromatic. So you will not crave for any outside food too.
Read other vrat recipes on blog: Kuttu Chips, Kuttu Aloo Tikki, Aloo Jeera, Aloo Tomato, Sama Chawal Khichdi, Sama Chawal Dosa, Sabudana Khichdi, Sabudana Vada. In sweet dish try my vrat special Sabudana Kheer, Aloo Halwa, Paneer Kheer, Fruits Raita, Singhade ki Burfi, Lauki Launj (halwa).
If you are making on normal days, there is not much difference to the recipe in fact. For fasting or vrat recipe, add vrat namak or sendha namak (rock salt) which is allowed to eat on fasting days. You can’t consume regular salt if you are observing fast on any day.
How to make dahi aloo or vrat wale dahi aloo?
Dahi Aloo is a quick and easy recipe also. It won’t take 30 minutes altogether to make this quick recipe. This is a no onion no garlic dish. Again we are not adding tomato also in this curry preparation. This is prepared with minimal ingredients.
Again different families follow different set of rules while observing this fast. So you can remove those ingredients which you think is not allowed at your place.
Tips for perfect dahi wale aloo sabzi
1. Use boiled potatoes for this recipe.
2. To make the gravy thicker, mash one potato roughly.
3. Also whisk curd to avoid curdling of curd.
4. Another thing to take care of when you are making any curd base gravy, keep stirring continuously till it starts to boil. Else it will curdle.
5. And add salt after it starts boiling.
Recipe Card for Dahi Aloo or Vrat wale Dahi Aloo Curry
Dahi Aloo | Dahi Wale Aloo | Vrat Wale Dahi Aloo
- Boil potatoes for 3 – 5 whistles or until cooked soft. After lid opens peel off the skin and dice them. mash 1 potato roughly.
- Heat oil in a pan. add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add chopped ginger, green chillies and all spices. Stir for 10 – 15 seconds.
- Add whisked curd to the pan and stir continuously.
- Add a cup of water and keep stirring.
- Stir until it starts to boil. Then add diced and roughly mashed potatoes.
- Season with salt and simmer for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Turn off heat. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Dahi Aloo is ready to serve.
Pin it for Later