Lauki Launj | Lauki Halwa | Dudhi Halwa
Lauki halwa or dudhi halwa is an Indian dessert. This is also a falahar food. For Janmashtami vrat, we make this lauki ki launj at home. This took me 30 minutes to make since I’m reducing milk to make khoya during the same process of making halwa.
Always use full-fat milk while you are reducing this to make khoya. I would say a complete “NO” to use cow milk for this because it yields a slight salty taste with cow milk. I have tried this several times just to confirm if any brand has some diffective product. But then later got this tip from my mother-in-law also. So use full fat milk (buffalo milk).
But if you have ready-made khoya or using condensed milk it can be made in less time.
In India, many of us observe fasting on some religious occasions. Very few foods are allowed on vrat or fasting days. And lauki or bottle gourd is one of them. You can make lauki and aloo curry with vrat poori or with sama rice khichdi. Or simply you can add them while making samvat khichdi.
This is a dessert we can make from lauki. Lauki halwa is a delicious and easy to make dessert. You can make this on regular days also.
You can use milk or khoya or milk powder to make this dish. In this recipe, I have reduced milk to make instant khoya. Then add dry fruits of your choice (almonds, cashews, pista, raisins)
How to Make Lauki Halwa / Lauki Launj?
Wash and peel the skin of lauki or bottle gourd. Then grate it with the help of a grater.
Heat 4 tbsp ghee in a pan. Add chopped dry fruits and saute for a minute. then remove from pan and keep aside.
In the same pan now add freshly grated lauki to the pan. Saute on high flame for 3 – 4 minutes.
Then cover with a lid and simmer on a medium flame for 7 – 8 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally.
Next, add milk and simmer till milk is reduced completely and turned to khoya.
Now add sugar and cardamom powder. Sugar will melt. simmer till its dry and then add fried dry fruits.
Lauki halwa is ready to serve. Refrigerate and chill for better taste. Garnish with some more chopped dry fruits and serve.
Recipe Card For Lauki Halwa
Lauki Halwa/ Lauki Launj
- 4 tbsp Ghee/ Purified butter
- 1 Lauki/ bottle gourd (800gm – 1kg)
- 1/2 cup Sugar or as per taste
- 500 gm Milk (full fat)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 – 3 tbsp Dry fruits chopped
- Peel skin of lauki and wash thoroughly.
- Grate lauki with help of a grater. No need to soak in water as we ll use fresh grated ones.
- Squeeze out excess water from lauki before frying.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add chopped dry fruits and saute for 30 – 40 seconds.
- Remove from ghee and keep aside for further use.
- In the same ghee add grated lauki (squeezed).
- Saute on high flame for 3 – 5 minutes stirring in between.
- Then reduce the flame to medium to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for another 8 – 10 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Once lauki is almost cooked, add milk.
- Simmer till milk is completely reduced and forms khoya like structure.
- Now add sugar and dry fruits.
- Sugar will melt. Simmer on high flame stirring continuously to avoid sticking at bottom.
- Once lauki is dry and leaves ghee turn off heat.
- Halwa is ready. Refrigerate for 1 or 2 hrs.
- Garnish with dry fruits and serve chilled lauki halwa.
- half milk + khoya
- 1 cup milk powder (for instant halwa)
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.