Baby Potato Dum Biryani | Dum Aloo Biryani
Baby potato dum biryani is a dum cooked biryani recipe with tender baby potatoes. Like all biryanis this is also an aromatic and fragrant rice preparation. You can serve this with simple cucumber raita.
I have shared instant veg biryani in blog. I had made that instant biryani in pressure cooker. That's quicker way to make biryani in just 15 minutes.
However this dum aloo biryani is cooked using dum cooking method. In this method, you need to seal the cooking vessel and cook in low flame. This way aroma will be sealed in biryani.
In Biryani, whole spices play an important role. Any dum cooked biyani, it's 3 step process of cooking.
- Cook rice and gravy separately
- Assemble layer wise.
- Dum cook for some time.
I am using baby potatoes for this biryani. But you can use large potatoes as well. Chop them into larger cubes.
This is not only tasty and flavorful but also simple and easy to make.
How to make baby potato dum biryani/ aloo dum biryani?
Make rice flavoured with whole spices (bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves).
Boil baby potatoes. Once cool peel off their skin and shallow fry till golden.
Heat ghee in a kadai. Add whole spices and shah jeera. Then add chopped onions, ginger garlic paste. saute. Next add chopped tomatoes and cook till it's mushy.
Add red chilli powder and biryani masala. Now Add beaten curd and mix well. Drop in shallow fried potatoes Add 1/2 cup water and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.
Now take one heavy bottom biryani pot. First layer it with gravy. Then put second layer with rice. Sprinkle some biryani masala, coriander and mint leaves, brown onions. Then next layer with rest of aloo gravy. In the end add one more layer with rice.
Sprinkle some more coriander, mint leaves, brown onions and biryani masala. Add 1 tbsp ghee on top of it.
Seal the vessel and lid with flour dough. Simmer on low flame for 15 - 20 minutes. Turn off heat and after 5 mins open the seal and the pot. Biryani is ready to serve.
Also read dum aloo and kashmiri dum aloo recipe on blog. Though this dum aloo is popular by "dum" naming, there is no dum cooking method involved in these recipe. Also if you love potato or aloo, then read other potato recipes on blog.
And for me the list is unending in fact. Here I would love to share one simple yet tasty Manipuri potato dish Aloo Kangmat from Lathi's Kitchen and one delicious bengali dish Badami Aloo from Foodies terminal. These two are a must-try potato dishes.
Recipe Card for Aloo Dum Biryani/ Baby Potato Dum Biryani
Baby Potato Dum Biryani
- Wash rice thoroughly. Soak for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Boil water. Put all whole spices and bring it to a boil and fragrant.
- Add soaked rice and simmer.
- Cook till rice is cooked partially and almost 80% done. Don't overcook rice.
- Strain out water once done. If you want you can remove.
- Wash with cold water so that it won't get over cooked.
- Pressure cook baby potatoes for 1 whistle.
- Remove skin of boiled potatoes. With a fork slightly pierce potatoes.
- Shallow fry potatoes till golden.
- Heat 3 tbsp ghee in a pan or kadai.
- Add jeera, bay leaf, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper.
- Once they are fragrant add in chopped onion.
- Saute till translucent.
- Add in ginger garlic paste. saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp red chilli powder, biryani masala.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add beaten curd and mix them well.
- Add fried potatoes and 1/2 cup water.
- Season with salt and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes.
For Dum Cooking
- In the meanwhile fry sliced onions till they turn brown.
- Take a heavy bottom pan.
- Put gravy one layer.
- Add 1 layer rice on top of it.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tsp biryani masala and 2 tbsp coriander and mint leaves on rice layer.
- Add some brown onions on it.
- Layer with one more layer of curry gravy and then with another layer of rice.
- Again sprinkle some more biryani masala and coriander mint leaves.
- Put 1 tbsp ghee on top of it. Add some brown onions on top.
- In the meanwhile make a dough of wheat flour.
- Close the biryani pot with a lid and seal the edge with flour dough.
- Simmer on low heat for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Then turn off heat. Wait for 5 minutes before opening the lid.
- Remove dough to open the lid.
- Biryani is ready to serve. Serve with curd or raita and papad.
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER