Stir-fried eggplant potato or eggplant potato curry or aloo baingan, you call it by any name, you just can't ignore this super delicious recipe. Easy, quick, delicious, and naturally vegan, gluten-free.
If you are looking for some quick and yummy vegan eggplant recipes, you must try this eggplant potato curry/stir-fry.
Many people make this in different styles. Some make this eggplant potato stir-fried (cook on medium to high heat), some make it with little gravy (dry gravy), or some make this as proper curry. But every way this is too yummy. However this recipe I have mentioned here in both ways, i.e. stir-fry & curry.
This aloo baingan or eggplant potato curry is an everyday dish in North India. You can serve this as your mains or even as sides. You can have this eggplant potato curry (aloo baingan) with any Indian flatbreads like roti, chapati, or even this makes a great side with dal rice.
Eggplant is a low calorie and low carb vegetable. This is a powerhouse of many vitamins and minerals. It has numerous health benefits. Read what does eggplant taste like and 10 health benefits of eggplant here. Also, get a collection of vegetarian eggplant recipes or Indian eggplant recipes on the blog.
Spicy Eggplant Potato Curry & Stir-fry (Aloo Baingan)
You can prepare this simple eggplant and potato curry (aloo baingan) in two ways.
I - You can stir fry them in a pan or skillet
II - Add a little water to make it a curry consistency.
Eggplants have a soft spongy texture. So when we overcook in curry, they get a little overcooked and will give a mushy consistency.
You can make the dish either in a pan or in the pressure cooker (manual or instant pot). It's simple, easy to make, and a quick stir-fry or curry recipe. You can add onion garlic or can also make it without onion garlic as well. But onion garlic adds an extra flavor punch to the dish.
How to make eggplant potato curry?
I will share both the methods - Instant Pot & Stove top
Oil - olive oil or vegetable oil
Eggplant - Large
Crushed Ginger & Garlic
Spices - Coriander, cumin (seeds & powder), turmeric powder, red chilli powder
Herbs - fresh cilantro leaves
Fresh lemon juice
Instant Pot Stir-fried Eggplant Potato
Start instant pot in sauté mode.
Recipe Card for Eggplant Potato Curry and Stir Fry
Eggplant Potato Curry/ Stir-fried
- 3-4 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 250 gms eggplant large variety
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 4 tbsp refined oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger + garlic crushed or paste
- 1 onion sliced/ chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 tbsp corinader leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Heat oil in a pan or skillet.
- Once oil is hot put one teaspoon cumin seeds.
- Let it crackle and then add ginger garlic.
- Sauté till it leaves pungent raw smell.
- Add sliced onions and green chillies.
- Sauté for 2 mins on high flame till its translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till it's cooked.
- Now add the spices mentioned above and mix well.
- Add 2 - 4 tbsp water to avoid burning of spices.
- Then add chopped potatoes and eggplants.
- Stir well and cook in high flame for a minute.
- Season with salt as per taste.
- Cover with a lid.
- Cook for 8 - 10 minutes on low flame.
- Check in between by stirring occasionally.
- If required add water 1 - 2 tbsp while stirring to avoid sticking at base.
- Garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves and add a dash of lemon juice.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or rice.
Instant Pot Method
- Start instant pot at saute mode.
- Once it's hot, add oil.
- Then add cumin seeds and ginger garlic paste (minced).
- Now add chopped onion and saute for 30 seconds.
- Then add tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes or till cooked soft.
- Add the spices and stir immediately.
- Then add the chopped vegetables and mix well.
- Now deglaze the pot by adding 1/4 cup water.
- Now cancel the saute mode and start the pressure cook mode.
- Set timer for 3 minutes and close the lid.
- Set the vent to seal.
- After timer is off, allow it to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes.
- Then release the pressure of the instant pot and open the lid.
- Eggplant & potato stir fry is ready.
- Remove the inner pot to stop excess cooking from the hot plate.
- Add chopped cilantro leaves and a dash of fresh lemon juice.
- ** To make this a curry consistency, add 1/2 cup water in place of 1/4 cup water.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa