Aloo Simla Fry / Sauteed Potatoes & Capsicum
If you are looking for quick recipes, then this aloo simla or sauteed potato capsicum is one of the best dish you can try. I love to make this dish so often because I love the taste of capsicum and also it’s a quick recipe.
The best part of cooking simla or capsicum is it takes very less time to get cooked if you compare with other vegetables. So if you want the dish to be little crunchy then add simla after potatoes are cooked completely.
But I wanted the flavor of simla and little over fried ones. so I have added simla along with potatoes.
Otherwise, first, cook potatoes till cooked 70% and then add chopped bell peppers and cook just for 5 minutes with potatoes. But trust me the overcooked capsicum also gives excellent flavor to the preparation.
It goes well with roti (Indian flatbreads) or as side dish with dal rice. This is an easy lunch box recipe which can be made quickly. This is also kid’s lunch box friendly.
If you have some boiled potatoes in refrigerator, then it’s just a matter of 3 minutes to make this awesome recipe.
Tomatoes are not essential but I have seen many people adding tomatoes to aloo simla fry. However, I don’t add tomatoes to the dish.
Recipe Card for Sauteed Potato & Capsicum
Potato & Capsicum Stir-Fry/ Aloo Simla Fry
- 3 medium Potato/ Aaloo peeled & diced
- 1 medium Capsicum chopped
- 1 tsp Salt (as per taste)
- 3 tbsp refined oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sabji masala
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp hing or asafoetida
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan on medium to high flame.
- Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds. Let it crackle and then add sliced onion and green chillies. Add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for 2 mins on high flame till it turns translucent.
- Add chopped capsicum & potatoes. Add salt as per taste. Don’t add water to it. Sauté for 5 minutes (or half cooked) by stirring occasionally.
- Then add hing, coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and mix it well. Add 4-5 tbsp water and stir well. Cook for 2-3 mins more.
- Cover with a lid and cook in low flame till potatoes are cooked completely.
- Sprinkle garam masala or sabji masala and mix well.
- Garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with paratha, chapatti & rice.
- Use boiled potatoes to reduce the cooking time.
- Don’t add water at all
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.