This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Vegan cauliflower potato curry is much popular as aloo gobi curry in India. This is one of the easiest and most-loved everyday Indian curry recipes.
There is no particular place this recipe is linked to. But this is popular in North India and East India equally. Very simple main course recipe that takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.
Majorly everyday Indian curry recipes are vegan recipes other than paneer or cottage cheese recipes and few creamy (malai) recipes. These recipes are healthy and quick and perfect for the everyday menu.
So this cauliflower potato curry is vegan and gluten-free. In case you want to make this healthier and skip potatoes and add other healthier veggies like green peas, carrots, etc. Also adding a fistful of soya chunks will make this curry a healthy protein-rich food.
However, I like the combination of cauliflower with potatoes and even green peas for this recipe. This is the heavenly combination in fact. If you are looking for some more Indian curry recipes, you must read my Indian curry recipes collection post on the blog.
On this blog, there is another aloo gobi recipe but that is little different and a dry sauteed cauliflower recipe whereas this cauliflower curry is a kind of stew or gravy based recipe. This combines well with both any breads (Flatbreads) and even with any rice recipe also. Try this curry with plain steamed rice. This will be enough.
The magic is you can cook this in saute pan (30min) or in pressure cooker (15 min) or even in an instant pot. This is a quick and healthy recipe for weekdays or even for weekends.
Why should we eat cauliflower?
Cauliflower is one of the healthiest vegetables. This vegetable is low in carb and high in protein and fiber. And this makes cauliflower a superfood when it comes to healthy diet food. Also, this vegetable is perfect for the keto diet. This is rich in antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer properties. It keeps us healthy in many ways. I’ll be posting another post on the nutrition and health benefits of cauliflower soon.
How to make vegan cauliflower potato curry?
Ingredients For Aloo gobi curry
Vegetables: Cauliflower, Potatoes and Green Peas. You can also add carrots and soya chunks if you want.
Curry Paste: Here you can use my instant curry paste recipe. Alternatively make a paste of onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, green chillies.
Spices: Since this is Indian curry, we are using basic spices that are most commonly used in Indian kitchen/ Indian recipes. i.e. coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, bay leaf, garam masala (powdered whole spices).
I’m using Everest Kitchen King curry powder here in place of garam masala, as it has whole spices plus some other spices also. And trust me, I’m in love with it now. This is just a recommendation as I liked the taste after adding this powder to my curry recipes. Alternatively, you can also use chicken masala to the gravy. This also enhances the flavor of gravies.
Step 1: Saute Vegetables (Optional)
Heat oil in a pan (generously) and saute cauliflower and potatoes for some time till they are half cooked and turns slightly golden. Do this on high to medium heat. Then Remove from pan and keep aside. This will surely make the curry rich and delicious. However, this step is optional and you can omit this for low fat and healthy cauliflower curry.
Step 2: Prepare Curry Base
Make a paste of onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes. Alternatively, you can also use finely chopped onion, tomato, freshly minced ginger, and garlic.
Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf. Then add onion, ginger, garlic, tomato paste. Saute for 5 minutes on medium flame till the paste is cooked and starts releasing oil on sides. Now add all dry powdered spices and saute for another minute or two.
Step 3: Add Vegetables and simmer
Add fried/ chopped vegetables to the pan. Give it a nice gentle stir. Cook for a minute like this. Now add little water, around 1 cup and bring it to boil. Simmer till vegetables are cooked completely. Adjust the consistency of gravy as you need. In the end, add powdered Kasuri methi (dry roasted and then powdered. Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves generously.
Vegan Cauliflower Potato Curry – Indian Aloo Gobi Curry
- 1 large cauliflower head
- 3 – 5 med potatoes
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 8 – 10 tbsp refined oil for shallow frying vegetables (optional)
- 4 – 5 tbsp refined oil for curry
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 med onion
- 1 med tomato
- 1 inch ginger
- 6 garlic pods
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kitchen king curry masala
- salt to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper powder
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 bay leaf
Preparation (Cleaning + Prepping)
- Wash and clean the cauliflower head properly.
- Divide into equal medium-sized florets.
- Check for any bugs in cauliflower and clean thoroughly.
- Chop/dice potatoes and other vegetables.
- Make a paste of diced onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green chilli (optional).
Step 2: Saute Vegetables (Optional)
- Heat oil in a pan (generously) and shallow fry cauliflower and potatoes for some time till they are half cooked and turns slightly golden.
- Keep the heat on high to medium. Then remove from pan and keep aside.
Step 2: Prepare curry base
- Make a paste of onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes. Alternatively, you can also use finely chopped onion, tomato, freshly minced ginger, and garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf. Then add onion, ginger, garlic, tomato paste.
- Saute for 5 minutes on medium flame till the paste is cooked and starts releasing oil on sides.
- Now add all dry powdered spices and saute for another minute or two.
Step 3: Add vegetables and simmer
- Add fried/ chopped vegetables to the pan. Give it a nice gentle stir.
- Cook for a minute like this. Now add little water, around 1 cup and bring it to boil.
- Simmer till vegetables are cooked completely. Adjust the consistency of gravy as you need.
- In the end, add powdered Kasuri methi (dry roasted and then powdered).
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves generously.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate link which means if you will buy the product through the link shared here, I will get some percentage of commission at no extra cost to you.)