This tomato bisque is the perfect comfort food for fall and winter. A warm bowl of this tomato bisque soothes and keeps us warm on chilly days of fall and winter.
This tomato bisque is a smooth creamy soup that won't take more than 30 minutes to make. Serve it with toasted bread or croutons. You can easily veganize the soup. Substitute dairy cream with coconut cream you can make this vegan too. Creamy tomato bisque is a perfect choice for those looking to enjoy the classic tomato soup but with an extra touch of creaminess and flavor.
Creamy tomato bisque is a rich and smooth soup made from ripe tomatoes, cream, and tasty seasonings. It is an easy job to prepare the bisque that is creamy and velvety in texture with tons of flavor. To make tomato bisque simmer tomatoes in flavorful seasonings and then blend to smooth. The richness of the cream makes the texture smoother and velvety.
How to make tomato bisque?
Tomatoes: Take good red ripe tomatoes for this recipe. Juicy ripe tomatoes yield more juice and more quantity.
Onion and Garlic: These two ingredients are also important to add flavor to the bisque. Alternatively, you can also use onion flakes/ powder and garlic flakes/ powder.
Tomato Paste / Tomato puree - paste is a concentrated form. If substituting with puree then take puree in double the amount of paste. (e.g. 1 tbsp tomato paste can be substituted by 2 - 2.5 tbsp tomato puree.)
Herbs - Fresh or Dried: Here I have taken basil leaves and thyme. I love these two combos the most. Basil leaves and tomatoes are a heavenly combination. Substitute fresh herbs with dried herbs.
Vegetable broth - Broth adds some more flavor to it. However, you can substitute it with water as well.
Spices: Salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper (optional), dried basil, oregano dried.
Sugar: This will balance out the tartness of tomatoes and give a pleasant flavor to the bisque.
Fat: Butter/ olive oil or vegan butter for dairy-free.
Cream - Dairy or non-dairy as diet preference.
You can add carrots to the soup. Beetroot is also a good addition to add a red color to the bisque.
Swirl in some flavors and add some Italian seasonings.
Step 1: Blanch the tomatoes and peel off the skin
Mark the cross (X) on one end of the tomatoes. Then either blanch it for 3 - 5 minutes in a saucepan or microwave for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool for some time. Peel off the skin from the incision. Mash it roughly. You can also use canned tomatoes. But I love the bisque made with fresh ripe tomatoes.
Step 2: Cook it with spices and herbs
Heat butter/ oil. Add onion and garlic. saute till translucent. Now add blanched mashed tomatoes. Add herbs, spices, sugar, and a little tomato puree also. Saute for 2 minutes. Then add 2 cups of vegetable broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Blend it to puree
Now when you see tomatoes are well cooked and mushy, blend them to a puree using an immersion blender or regular blender. If you are using a regular blender, wait a little till the tomatoes are at room temperature.
Step 4: Strain and Simmer
Strain out using a fine-mesh strainer. Cook and simmer for another 3 - 5 minutes till get the desired consistency. In the end, add cream to the soup. Give a nice stir. Turn off the heat.
Creamy Tomato bisque is ready. Serve hot with added croutons. Garnish with some more cream and chopped fresh basil leaves.
What To Serve With Tomato Bisque?
It stays good for 3 days in the refrigerator when stored properly in an air-tight container.
This is also freezer safe and can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months when stored perfectly.
To reheat, first thaw the bisque in the refrigerator overnight. Then transfer the bisque to a container and simmer for 1 minute.
Creamy Tomato Bisque Recipe
Creamy Tomato Bisque
- 2 lb tomatoes fresh and ripe
- 8 - 10 garlic cloves (minced) sub - 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs ½ - ¾ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 2 tsp sugar (as per taste)
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves sub - 10 - 12 fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 2 - 3 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup fresh cream dairy / non-dairy
- Cut the cross (X) mark on one end of the tomatoes. Then either blanch it for 3 - 5 minutes or microwave for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for some time.
- Peel off the skin from the incision. Mash it roughly.
- Heat butter/ oil in a saucepan.
- Add chopped onion and garlic. saute till translucent.
- Now add blanched mashed tomatoes.
- Add herbs, spices, sugar, and tomato puree / paste.
- Stir to mix them all.
- Saute for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Then add 1 cup of vegetable broth and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Now when you see tomatoes are well cooked and mushy, blend it to a puree using immersion blender or regular blender.
- If you are using a regular blender, wait a little to cool the soup a little.
- Strain out the tomato to the same saucepan using a fine-mesh strainer.
- Cook and simmer for another 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add cream to the soup. Give it a nice stir.
- Turn off heat. Serve them piping hot.
- Drizzle some olive oil or cream along with a garnish of fresh basil leaves.
- Add toasted bread bites or croutons to it.
- Creamy tomato bisque is ready to be served.
Similar Vegetable Soup Recipes
- Low-carb Creamy Spinach Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup
- Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- Vegan Curried Cauliflower Soup
- Hearty Tomato Soup
PIN IT FOR LATER