This keto-friendly broccoli cheese soup is a rich, creamy, cheesy, and quick broccoli soup recipe. This is low in carb and high in fat. Hence one of the best soup for your keto diet.
This quick keto broccoli cheese soup is my new favorite soup now. The flavor and the cheesy creamy soup is just a heavenly combo that also helps in weight loss (keto diet).
Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup (Broccoli Cheddar Soup)
There is another option if you are not on keto diet and don't want more cheese and cream in your soup. You can replace the cheese with flour and milk. That also tastes great. In this case, the soup may not be gluten-free.
But this gluten-free cheesy broccoli cheddar soup is so so delicious that nobody can ignore it. I feel cheddar cheese is just perfect cheese for this keto broccoli cheese soup recipe.
The thickness and richness come from heavy whipping cream and lots of cheddar cheese to the soup which makes it creamy and thick. You can leave some broccoli florets to the soup to have crunchy bites in cheesy broccoli soup.
This is a perfect soup for winters. A perfect fall recipe. Even if you are not on a low carb diet, you can enjoy this warm soul-warming soup anytime.
Read other broccoli recipes:
- Oven-roasted broccoli with garlic
- Broccoli tater tots
- Vegan broccoli Fritters
- Vegan Buffalo Broccoli Wings
- Low carb Broccoli Mushroom Soup
What is keto diet?
Keto diet, short term for the ketogenic diet is the most searched topic in recent times. Its popularity is increasing fast as it helps in quick weight-loss and provides more energy. The underlying concept of ketogenic is the process of ketosis in which our body uses fat cells for energy production and not muscle mass.
Read more on Keto Diet and Top 10 Vegetables for Keto Diet. Also, read plant-based protein sources for vegetarians and vegans.
Is Broccoli Keto Friendly?
Yes like other cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli is a top keto vegetable. Broccoli has numerous health benefits yet this is low in carbs.
Is Broccoli Cheese Soup Low in Carb?
Absolutely. This broccoli cheddar soup is low in carb and loaded with cheddar cheese, the fat portion. Hence this soup is perfect for the keto diet.
Other Low carb soups:
How to make keto broccoli cheese soup?
Simple and minimal ingredients are used for the low carb broccoli cheese soup. Those are a broccoli head, onions, garlic, butter, fresh cream, cheddar cheese, salt & pepper, herbs (thyme and basil). herbs you can take fresh or dried, depending on the availability.
Method of Preparation:
Step 1: Prepping
Wash the broccoli head and chop into small bite-sized pieces. Chop the stems also separately. Don't throw the stalks and the stems away except the hard ones. Chop them roughly.
Step 2: Sauteing
Heat butter in a saucepan or frying pan. Add chopped onion, garlic and saute till translucent. Now add chopped stems and half of the chopped florets to the pan.
Add fresh thyme sprigs and basil leaves along with salt pepper cayenne pepper and paprika. Here I have added fresh thyme and dried basil leaves. You can add any other flavors of your choice like oregano or rosemary etc.
Saute on low flame for 2 minutes. Now add 1 cup water and let it simmer for 5 minutes or till stems are cooked soft.
Step 3: Blending
Then remove from pan and pour into a mixing jar to blend. Here you can also use a hand blender to blend the mixture to puree. Blend it to a smooth puree.
Step 4: Final Cooking of Soup
In the meantime, heat some more butter in the pan. Throw in the rest of the florets and give it a nice stir on high heat. This will give a charred texture to the broccoli florets. Now cover the pan with a lid and leave it untouched for a minimum of 2 minutes to get broccoli florets charred. Then remove the lid and stir it nicely.
Then pour in the broccoli puree through a sieve for that smooth consistency. Add little water if the mixture is too thick.
Keep flame on low. Now add fresh cream and grated cheddar cheese to the soup. Stir it nicely. Simmer for 5 minutes or till it's reached the desired consistency.
Garnish & Serve:
Garnish with some broccoli florets and some more grated cheddar on top of it.
Other Variations to Creamy Broccoli Soup
If you don't want to add more cheese to the soup, then also you can make this creamy rich soup easily. Replace butter with olive oil.
In this case, while sauteing broccoli with onion and garlic, add 2 tbsp flour to it. You may add refined flour or even whole wheat flour to it. Saute for 2 minutes. Now add a cup of full cream milk to the pan. Keep stirring so that there will be no lumps.
Then blend the same to a smooth puree. Now saute some more florets in some olive oil. When broccoli cooked 50 %, add the puree and simmer for 5 minutes more. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Recipe Card for Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
Keto Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 large broccoli head
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 pinch dried basil leaves
- 3/4 cup fresh cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- Wash the broccoli head and chop into small bite-sized pieces.
- Chop the stems also separately. Chop them roughly.
- Heat butter in a saucepan or frying pan.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and saute till translucent.
- Now add chopped stems and half of the chopped florets to the pan.
- Add fresh thyme sprigs and basil leaves along with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- Saute on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Now add 1 cup water and let it simmer for 5 minutes or till stems are cooked soft.
- Then remove from pan and pour into a mixing jar to blend. Here you can also use a hand blender to blend the mixture to puree.
- Blend it to a smooth puree.
- In the meantime, heat some more butter in the pan.
- Throw in the rest of the florets and give it a nice stir.
- Now cover it with a lid and leave it untouched for a minimum of 2 minutes to get broccoli florets charred.
- Then remove the lid and stir it nicely.
- Then pour in the broccoli puree through a sieve for that smooth consistency.
- Add little water if the mixture is too thick.
- Keep flame on low. Now add fresh cream and grated cheddar cheese to the soup.
- Stir it nicely. Simmer for 5 minutes or till it's reached the desired consistency.
- Garnish with some broccoli florets and some more grated cheddar on top of it.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
Leave a Comment (And a 5 Star Rating)