This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Vegan Buffalo Broccoli Wings are perfect vegan party appetizers. These broccoli wings in spicy buffalo sauce are delicious to another level. And, it’s vegan too!! This is a great snack for kids as well. My kid’s new favorite snack is buffalo broccoli, buffalo cauliflower, bbq cauliflower wings.
Vegan cauliflower wings are in trend these days. I love these cauliflower wings in any sauce. Or simple roasted cauliflower is also great in taste. The same is my love for broccoli. I love broccoli too in fact little more than I love cauliflower. I love dark green cruciferous vegetables and green leafy vegetables a lot.
This is one of the healthiest vegetables on this planet. Broccoli belongs to the same cruciferous family that of cauliflower and kale. This is equally nutritious. It’s good to make our kids eat such healthy foods. But these appetizers are excellent to make your kid eat one great vegetable.
Is Broccoli a Superfood?
Yes. Broccoli is a superfood that is rich in many essential nutrients and micronutrients. This is high in fiber content along with vitamin K (115% of RDI), C (135% of RDI), folic acid, potassium. All vitamins and minerals help to keep us healthy in numerous ways.
Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant that fights with free radicals and protects us. This also builds collagen and keeps skin, bone strong. High fiber helps in keeping the digestive tract healthy and flushes out excess fat. It keeps heart healthy, keeps obesity away, reduces blood sugar and cholesterol level.
There are many more health benefits. I will be sharing a separate post soon of broccoli benefits (broccoli health benefits)
Does Broccoli Help in Weight Loss?
Broccoli is a rich source of fiber. Fiber keeps the bowel movement proper. It helps in lowering cholesterol also. The high vitamin C helps in accelerating weight loss. And the high protein keeps you fuller for long adding to weight loss. This low-carb vegetable is also keto-friendly. Read about 10 keto-friendly vegetables here.
Read other broccoli recipes:
- Broccoli tater tots
- Oven-roasted Broccoli
- Broccoli Kale Soup
- Broccoli & Mushroom Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Fritters
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
What is buffalo broccoli wings?
These are broccoli wings (florets) and serves as an alternative to meaty chicken wings. To make the classic unbreaded chicken wings (buffalo wings) a vegetarian and meat-less version, vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli or seitan is used. The florets are either fried, or baked (for healthier buffalo wings), or air fried. These are spiced with buffalo sauce.
What is buffalo sauce?
This is a tangy vinegar-based cayenne pepper hot sauce. The fried wings are dipped in buffalo sauce prior to serving. However, all buffalo sauce available in the market is not vegan as they have melted butter in it. So make sure to check the label or make your own homemade buffalo sauce.
Are these broccoli wings gluten-free also?
However, these broccoli wings are not gluten-free since they are breaded with panko breadcrumbs. Otherwise, I have made the batter with gluten-free chickpea flour. So in case you are looking for gluten-free broccoli wings, then just omit the bread crumbs from the recipe.
How to Make Buffalo Broccoli Wings?
Ingredients I have used in broccoli wings:
Broccoli Head: Take a large head of broccoli. Cut into bite-sized florets. Don’t discard all stalks of florets.
Flour: If you are not resistant to gluten, then go ahead with a mixture of refined flour + corn starch (this will make the crispier wings). Another alternative is rice flour and corn starch mixture for the gluten-free batter. However, I have taken chickpea flour for gluten-free.
Bread Crumbs: Panko bread crumbs add in an extra crunch in wings. You can also take regular bread crumbs. Skip bread crumbs for gluten-free.
Buffalo Sauce: Make your buffalo sauce with hot sauce, vinegar, maple syrup, salt, garlic powder, olive oil (or vegan butter).
Make the batter: Make a batter of coating consistency with flour, salt, pepper, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic powder. Keep the consistency medium so that florets will be coated well and the excess batter should drip off after coating. Also, use non-dairy milk to make the batter.
Coat with bread crumbs: On a plate take a generous amount of bread crumbs. Panko bread crumbs give the best crispy wings. Season it with salt and pepper. Dip the florets in the batter and roll it on breadcrumbs. Repeat for all.
Bake or Panfry: For baking, preheat the oven at 200 degrees C (400 – 425 degrees F). Transfer the coated broccoli wings to a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flipping the broccoli at 10 minutes. For pan-frying, just heat oil and shallow fry each side till it’s golden and crispy. Flip to all sides so that it’s equally cooked. Once cooked take out from oil and keep on a paper napkin to drain out excess oil.
Prepare Homemade Buffalo Sauce: In the meantime prepare buffalo sauce by adding hot sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, olive oil (or vegan butter), salt, pepper, garlic powder.
Coat with buffalo sauce: Now pour in the buffalo sauce on fried/ baked wings.
Bake: Bake for another 5 minutes. Or you can serve them without baking also, i.e. just coat with buffalo sauce and serve. Here I have baked them.
Air Fry: You can air fry the broccoli florets too. Preheat the air fryer at 375F (180C) for 4 minutes. Place the coated broccoli in the basket and start the air fryer at 375 F for 6 minutes. After that remove the basket and brush the buffalo sauce on the florets. Fry for another 3 – 4 minutes more at the same temperature. If you want more crispy, can bake at 400 F for 2 minutes or till looks perfect to you. Also, every air fryer cooks differently.
Read my air fryer broccoli here.
Recipe Card for Vegan Buffalo Broccoli Wings
Vegan Buffalo Broccoli Wings
- 6 cups broccoli florets (2 medium heads)
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cyanne pepper
Make the batter:
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, salt, pepper, hot sauce, onion powder, garlic powder.
- Add non-dairy (unsweetened) milk to make the batter.
- Keep this coating consistency so that florets will be coated well and extra batter drips off.
Coat with bread crumbs:
- On a plate take a generous amount of bread crumbs.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Dip the florets in the batter and roll it on breadcrumbs.
- Repeat for all.
Method 1 – Bake:
- Preheat oven at 200 degrees.
- Transfer the coated broccoli wings to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flipping in between (at around 10 minutes).
Method 2 – Pan-frying:
- For pan-frying, just heat oil and shallow fry each side till it's golden and crispy (on medium to high flame).
- Flip to all sides so that it's equally cooked.
- Once cooked take out from oil and keep on a paper napkin to drain out excess oil.
Prepare Buffalo Sauce:
- Prepare buffalo sauce by adding hot sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder.
- If using vegan butter or coconut oil, then bring it to a boil. Cool and store for future use.
Coat with buffalo sauce:
- Now pour in the buffalo sauce on fried/ baked wings.
- For crispy buffalo wings, bake for another 5 minutes at 200-degree centigrade.
Method – 3 – Air Fry
- Preheat the air fryer at 375F (180C) for 4 minutes.
- Place the coated broccoli in the basket and start the air fryer at 375 F for 5 – 6 minutes.
- After that remove the basket and brush the buffalo sauce on the florets.
- Fry for another 4 minutes at the same temperature.
- If you want more crispy, add 2 minutes at 400F.
- Keep a check on broccoli after 3 minutes as af cooks broccoli quickly. Also, every air fryer cooks differently. Change your timing accordingly.
- Serve with vegan ranch or any dip of your choice
PIN IT FOR LATER