Vegan Broccoli tater tots are the healthier alternative to classic tater tots. You can also make your baked broccoli tater tots to make it oil-free or even air-fry them.
These homemade baked broccoli tater tots are quick healthy vegan appetizers. I have made these broccoli tots in 2 ways, shallow fried, & baked. You can also air-fry them to make oil-free tots. For me pan-fried are a little tastier than the baked version. But baked ones are with negligible oil (just brushed) and hence make the healthiest tots.
Tater tots are kid's favorites also. My boy loves the homemade crispy tater tots very much. So adding healthy vegetables like broccoli is always be an extra advantage. These homemade broccoli tots are super easy to make and also you can store them in the freezer for weeks.
These are easy and simple vegan party appetizers. To make it cheesy you may add some grated processed cheese. You may add some vegan cheese. Even nutritional yeast adds a cheesy flavor to the tots. But here I have not added any cheese to these tots. Yet these vegan broccoli tots were yummy.
Read my 30+ Party Appetizers Recipe Collections here.
I have added grated par-boiled potatoes and broccoli. You can make it only with broccoli. Normally egg is added to the tots. But since this is a vegan broccoli tot, I'm not adding any egg, dairy to my tots. So you need some binding agent and substitute of eggs like some flour to shape the tots.
Are broccoli tots healthy?
Veggie tots are considered a healthy alternative to traditional tater tots. To make this low carb eliminate potatoes and bake.
How to make broccoli tater tots (vegan)?
You need to blanch your broccoli that you will add to make tots. Don't boil for long. Just blanch it for 2 - 3 minutes and then dry out using a clean kitchen towel or napkin. Squeeze out lightly to get rid of that extra moisture. Then finely chop the florets.
In the meanwhile boil potatoes in a saucepan till they're just cooked (par-boiled). Now cool the potatoes and grate them with help of a cheese grater. Mix it with broccoli.
Add bread crumbs and spices. Mix all ingredients making a soft and clean dough-like mixture. You can also add nutritional yeast to the mixture.
Now Grease your palms and take out a small portion and shape it into small tots. Make all tots similar. Now pan fry or bake tots. Though baked tots are healthier than pan-fried, it tastes equally great with both ways.
Recipe Card For Vegan Broccoli Tater Tots
Vegan Broccoli Tater Tots
- 1 broccoli head
- 1 potato boiled & peeled
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 tsp paprika or red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch of pepper
- In a saucepan add some water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil.
- Blanch broccoli florets for 3 minutes or till its tender.
- Squeeze out excess water with help of kitchen towel.
- Finely chop broccoli and place in a mixing bowl.
- Grate boiled potatoes in the bowl.
- Add in bread crumbs and all seasonings.
- Mix all ingredients nicely.
- Divide the mixture into small balls.
- Grease palms and shape the balls into tiny tots.
- Add oil generously (5 - 6 tbsp) in a pan.
- Place tots in a batch of 6 - 8.
- Roll it lightly with help of a tong ensuring equally cooked from all ends.
- Remove from pan when turns crisp and golden.
- Place on paper napkin to absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot with any hot sauce or dip.
- Preheat oven at 375 degree F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place tots on tray and brush with some oil
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes till crisp and golden.
- Serve with any sauce or dip of your choice.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Read similar healthy appetizers and finger foods for kids. e.g. paneer corn seekh kabab, potato lollipop, veg shammi kabab, spinach corn sandwich, stuffed bread roll, cheesy potato sandwich, aloo kachori, stuffed paratha like aloo paratha, gobi paratha, paneer paratha.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
Leave a Comment (And a 5 Star Rating)