This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Garlic knots are a quick and easy snack that can be made in an air fryer. These are a convenient and easy way to make bread and kids friendly also.
Garlic knots make a great vegan appetizer or snack. or a great breakfast or quick snacks. The air fryer has made the recipe easy and quick. Rest all ingredients will be the same as baked knots.
For the garlic knots, I use my regular homemade pizza base. This is easy to make and the best part is you can customize it with your favorite seasonings for flavor.
The vegan dough is made with yeast and flour along with olive oil and other seasonings. Here activated yeast helps in the fermentation of the dough and helps in making the dough airy – perfect to make bread, pizza, etc.
Air fryer garlic knots
I love to make garlic knots since these are too easy to make. And in the air fryer, this has become a quick dish. In fact, these are my best accompaniments on pizza nights. Whenever I make pizza, I always make a batch of these garlic knots as well. These vegan garlic knots are delicious in fact. And the air fryer makes it easier.
With my air fryer, I have reduced using my oven indeed. You can bake all those things in your air fryer that you can bake in your oven. But the added advantage is you can bake in lesser time and without heating the whole place.
You will love these vegan garlic knots,
- these are vegan
- perfect for quick snacks
- versatile to customize
- super soft and fluffy
- delicious with strong garlic flavor
Ingredients you will need –
Flour – Best is all-purpose flour or refined flour since this gives the best fluffy bread. But this won’t be gluten-free. For gluten-free garlic knots, take gluten-free bread flour.
Yeast + Sugar – Yeast is required for fermentation. This along with sugar and warm water helps in making the dough airy and light.
Seasonings – I love to add Italian seasoning to the flour for delicious tasting vegan garlic knots. Some fresh garlic and herbs coating after it’s shaped and half after it’s baked makes it better in taste.
Olive oil – Olive oil makes the knots more fluffy and light. You can also use vegan butter. But I would strongly recommend olive oil for the knots or even for the pizza dough.
Take yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Add warm water to activate the yeast. Let it rest for 10 – 15 minutes till there is a foamy layer on top. This shows yeast has been activated nicely.
**Note – Take fresh yeast otherwise the dough won’t ferment at all no matter how long you keep this..
Now add flour and salt. Mix the flour and yeast water with a spatula till it is mixed. Then knead it gently for 4 – 5 minutes. Now grease the bowl with oil and also rub little oil on the dough.
Cover the dough with a damp cloth or cling wrap and let it rest for 1 hour in a warm place. You can also use the instant pot to ferment the dough.
Check after 1 hour if the dough is fermented. Dust the surface with flour. Take out the dough and knead it for two minutes. Then divide into equal 16 roundels of equal size. Now take a ball and roll it into a log shape or strands of 1/4 inch thick. Roll it smooth using your palms and fingers only. Make a knot out of the log.
Season and air fry
Preheat the air fryer at 390/ 400 F for 4 minutes. In the meanwhile, take olive oil in a small bowl. Add salt, minced garlic, finely chopped herbs or dried herbs.
Now place the shaped knots in the air fryer basket. Brush them lightly with the seasonings and oil mix (or vegan butter or butter). Start the air fryer at 355 F (180 C) for 10 minutes or until they turn golden brown in color.
Once the knots are done, brush it again with the seasoning and herb mix with butter/vegan butter/ olive oil mix. It’s optional, but makes the knots more flavorful.
How to store the vegan garlic knots?
Store the vegan garlic knots in a sealed container so they don’t dry out too quickly when left at room temperature for hours/days. It can stay good for up to 2 days at room temperature. You can refrigerate for up to 4 – 5 days when sealed and stored properly. When ready to eat, use your air fryer or microwave to reheat the garlic knots.
Can I freeze the garlic knots?
You can freeze the knot dough. and when required remove from freezer. Thaw it overnight in refrigerator. Then place in the air fryer and bake as instructions. To freeze, first shape the dough into knots. Place them on a baking tray and place open inside the freezer for 30 minutes. Dust with flour and place the knots inside a ziplock bag and seal. Store for up to 2 months.
How long it stays good?
You can keep the garlic knots fresh for 2 days at room temperature. But keep them sealed in bread box or any air tight box. You can also refrigerate them and reheat whenever required.
Recipe Card for Vegan Garlic knots
Vegan Garlic Knots
- Measuring Spoons
For the dough
- Take yeast and sugar in a small bowl.
- Add warm water to activate the yeast.
- Let it rest for 6 – 7 minutes till there is a foamy layer on top.
- This shows yeast has been activated nicely.
- Now add flour and salt. Mix the flour and yeast water with a spatula till it is mixed.
- If required add a little water slowly gradually till it makes a perfect dough.
- Then knead it gently for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Now grease the bowl with oil and also rub little oil on the dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap and place in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Take out once the dough is doubled in size.
- Sprinkle flour on the surface and knead the dough for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Divide it into equal 12 – 16 pieces depending on size you want.
- Take 1 portion and cover the rest.
- You can also use store bought pizza dough as well for this recipe.
Shaping the knots
- Now take a ball and roll it into a log shape or strands of 1/4 inch thick.
- Roll it smooth using your palms and fingers only. Make a knot out of the log.
- IN a small bowl add olive oil/ vegan butter or butter. Add salt, garlic powder/ minced garlic, other seasoning. Stir well and keep aside for further use.
Air fry the garlic knots
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 4 minutes.
- Now place the shaped knots in the air fryer basket. .
- Brush them lightly with the seasonings and oil mix (or vegan butter or butter).
- Start the air fryer at 355 F (180 C) for 10 minutes or until they turn golden brown in color.
- Check it the halfway. Here also you can brush a little seasoning. But optional.
- Once the knots are done, brush it again with the seasoning and herb mix with butter/vegan butter/ olive oil mix. It's optional but makes the knots more flavorful.
- Vegan garlic knots are ready to serve. Serve with any of the favorite dips.
PIN IT FOR LATER