Homemade vegan pizza dough is easy and quick to make. These are vegan as well. Make pizza, garlic knots with the same dough. And these are easy to make as well.
Homemade pizza dough is easy to make. These are vegan too. But not gluten-free. You can take your gluten-free flour for the vegan pizza dough. These are versatile and you can modify them at home. Also, you can add other seasonings and make your garlic knots. Check out my air fryer pizza made with the same dough.
How to make homemade vegan pizza dough?
To make the pizza is one of the easiest dishes. It doesn't take much effort and time as well. The only time you need is in fermentation. But fermentation is the most crucial process in making the pizza dough. If the dough will not get fermented properly, the dough will not be airy. And can't be used in making pizza or in any bread.
Ingredients for the pizza dough
Yeast + Sugar - Sugar and yeast are the main ingredients required to ferment the dough.
Flour - refined flour or all-purpose flour works the best for this. However, you can also make it with 50:50 with wheat flour mix as well. You can also take bread flour. But water intake may increase in bread flour. Water ratio will change with the type of flour you use.
Water - as required to knead the dough. Normally 2 cups flour may need 3/4 cup water or 1 - 2 tbsp more as you add flour. 3/4 cup warm water.
Olive oil - Olive oil adds a nice flavor to the pizza crust. Add oil while kneading the dough plus also burst the crust before adding the sauce and toppings.
Take yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Add warm water to activate the yeast. Let it rest for 10 - 15 minutes till there is a bubbly, foamy layer on top. This shows yeast has been activated nicely.
Then add flour and salt. Mix the flour and yeast water with a spatula till it is mixed. Then knead it gently for 3 - 4 minutes. Now grease the bowl with oil and also rub little oil on the dough.
Cover the dough with a damp cloth or a cling wrap and let it rest for 1 hour in a warm place. You can also use the instant pot to ferment the dough.
Check after 1 hour if the dough is fermented. Dust the surface with 2 - 3 tbsp of flour. Take out the dough and knead it for a minute or two.
Exper Tips for Perfect Homemade Vegan Pizza Dough -
- Keep the water warm only. Hot water kills the yeast and this won't ferment the dough. So the temperature should stay between 100 - 110 F. Any point above 130 F kills the yeast.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil while kneading the dough for extra flavor.
- Add salt as taste to the flour. This will not make the crust too bland in taste.
- Knead the dough for 5 - 7 minutes to make it little light. Test by poking it once. If it starts to bounce back slowly, the dough is ready to ferment. If not, knead again for 2 minutes. Kneading will make the texture lighter.
- You can take instant yeast or dry yeast. Instant yeast doesn't require proofing and you can add it directly to the flour along with other dry ingredients.
- Grease the bowl in which the dough is to be placed for fermentation. Then brush the dough with oil from top and side.
- Warm places will help for faster fermentation. You can also place it in the refrigerator overnight to rise.
- Once spread the pizza crust, brush it with a little oil once before you spread the sauce and toppings. For a crunchy crust, grease the pizza pan and dust it with a tbsp of corn meal.
- Cold weather may take longer to ferment. However, you can also ferment the dough using the microwave, oven, or an instant pot.
Proofing the dough in an oven
Heat the oven to 150 F. Turn off the oven. Then place the bowl shield properly inside the oven with door slightly open. After 20 - 30 minutes, close the door completely. Remove after 60 - 90 minutes when you see the dough is doubled.
Proofing pizza dough overnight
If you are proofing the dough overnight, place the bowl covered properly in the refrigerator for 8 - 10 hours.
Proofing the pizza dough in an Instant pot
Grease the inner pot of the instant pot. Place the dough (tucked in) inside the inner pot. Brush the dough with a little oil. Now close the lid and set the valve to SEALING. Start the instant pot at YOGURT mode for 1 hour. Once it beeps after done, open the valve and the lid. You can see the dough has risen to double size. Remove from the pot and punch it down. Knead for 2 - 3 minutes more on a dusted surface. Then divide it into 4 equal parts or however you want the side of the crust.
Freezing the dough
You can freeze the excess pizza dough. Brush it with oil. Then place it inside a ziplock pouch. It stays good for up to 3 months. To thaw the dough, remove from the freezer and place it inside the refrigerator. When ready to use remove from the refrigerator and keep it on the counter top for 1 hour before using.
Recipe Card for Vegan Pizza Dough
Homemade Pizza Dough
- Measuring Spoons
For Pizza Dough
Homemade Pizza Dough
- Take yeast and sugar in a small bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup warm water and add to the bowl of yeast and sugar to activate the yeast.
- Let it rest for 10 - 15 minutes till there is a foamy layer on top.
- This shows yeast has been activated nicely.
- Now add flour and salt. Mix the flour and yeast water with a spatula till it is mixed.
- If required add a little water slowly gradually till it makes a perfect dough.
- Then knead it gently for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Now grease the bowl with oil and also rub little oil on the dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap and place in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Take out once the dough is risen and doubled in size. (*Check out Notes)
- Sprinkle some flour on the surface and knead the dough for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Pizza dough is ready.
- Divide it into equal 4 pieces.
- Take 1 portion and cover the rest.
Making pizza crust
- Take one portion of the pizza dough and roll into a ball.
- With help of a rolling pin make circle of the desired size.
- Poke the bread with help of a fork or knife.
- Apply the sauce and toppings and cheese.
- Bake at high temperature (400 F) for max up to 10 - 15 minutes depending on the size and thickness of the crust.