This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Hasselback potatoes in the air fryer- One of the best potato recipes to make in the air fryer. I love making potatoes in my air fryer. And these crispy Hasselback potatoes are too good to resist.
If you love potatoes, you will love the Hasselback potatoes. These are the simplest but the only trick is to cut them perfectly. So while cutting the potatoes you have to be careful not to slice the potatoes completely.
What are Hasselback potatoes?
Hasselback potatoes are a type of baked potatoes where they are cut into slices but about halfway through only and along with some breadcrumbs toppings. These potatoes are named after the name of a place Djurgarden, Stockholm, Hasselbacken restaurant where these potatoes are invented by Chef Leif Ellison. There were first created in 1953. (Source)
These are baked in the oven and now in the air fryer. The air fryer works in the same way as the oven. In the air fryer, there is a hot coil and a high-speed fan that rotates the hot air cooking the food. And it makes food quicker as compared to the oven. So you don’t need to heat up the whole space/ room in hot summers. The compact air fryer will make the food quickly. Read my other air fryer recipes here.
Air fryer Hasselback Potatoes
So the Hasselback potatoes that are traditionally baked in the oven are baked in the air fryer. It’s a simple yet delicious dish. Here the recipe I’m sharing is completely vegan and gluten-free. However, you can add your own toppings and modify the seasonings, toppings.
What do you need to make the Hasselback potatoes?
Potatoes – Russet potatoes are the best option since they yield baked potatoes with crispier skins. But Yukon gold is also good to go for these potatoes. You need to get the timing perfect as they may vary slightly.
Seasoning – Salt, garlic powder, paprika/ cayenne pepper. add any seasoning you want to add here. Even the fresh herbs and fresh minced garlic add a strong flavor to the potatoes. You can keep the seasoning simple with salt and pepper too. And brush with some garlic butter after it’s cooked.
Olive Oil – For rubbing the potatoes before air frying.
I add seasoning and oil making a seasoned oil. Then brush the seasoned oil all over the potatoes.
How to cut the Hasselback potatoes perfectly?
Wash and clean the potatoes with skins on. Just clean them with a brush or a scrubber.
Now with a cut then to 1/2 inch slice through the half only. You can use a Hasselback potato slicer rack where the base will not get cut accidentally also. You can also use 2 chopsticks and place them on both sides of the potato and cut them till you reach the chopsticks only. The bottom part should stay intact while the upper part will be sliced.
How to make Hasselback potatoes in air fryer?
There is nothing much to bother in instructions to bake the Hasselback potatoes in the air fryer since this is a simple and easy recipe. You only need to correct your temperature and timing right since all air fryers are not the same. The time I’m sharing here may vary a little with your brand and type of air fryer. But mostly the boundary line will be the same.
Make your seasoned oil by adding spices, salt, and olive oil (or butter if not vegan). Add some fresh herbs as well along with seasonings here. Keep on experimenting with seasonings as per your taste and likings.
In the meanwhile preheat the air fryer at 360 F or 180C for 4 minutes. Then place the potatoes in the basket and start the air fryer at the same temperature for 15 minutes till the potatoes are tender. Then to make the skin crispier, set the air fryer for another 5 minutes at 390 F or 200 C. In case you don’t need crispy skins of the potatoes, you can extend the time to 20 minutes at 360 F (180 C) only.
Remove once done and serve hot. You can additionally brush them with some more butter or garlic herbed butter (if not vegan).
Expert tip – To get the best of the flavors infused into the air fryer Hasselback potatoes, apply the seasoning in half ways also. You can also flip the potatoes at 10 minutes to make sure all parts are cooked evenly. However, this is optional.
Topping to serve with Hasselback potatoes
Traditionally they stuff ham, bacon, and cheese.
- Add any of the cheese that melts like cheddar, mozzarella, smoked gouda, etc.
- For breakfast Hasselback potatoes add eggs if your diet allows that.
- Mix bread crumbs with parmesan cheese, and some seasonings. This will give you that crunchy bites.
- Add some crema or sauce on top.
- Top it with sour cream/ vegan sour cream or greek yogurt (dairy-free).
- Make them as gratin style (place them in baking container and place the container inside the air fryer)
Recipe Card for air fryer Hasselback potatoes
Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
- Sharp knife
- Hasselback slicer rack
- In a small bowl add olive oil/ melted butter and all the spices mentioned above.
- Wash and clean the potatoes thoroughly.
- Slice the potatoes thinly leaving half inch at the base.
- Brush the potatoes with seasoned oil.
- Preheat the air fryer at 360 F (180 C).
- Then place the potatoes in the basket and start the air fryer at the same temperature for 15 minutes till the potatoes are tender.
- Then to make the skin crispier, set the air fryer for another 5 minutes at 390 F or 200 C.
- In case you don't need crispy skins of the potatoes, you can extend the time to 20 minutes at 360 F (180 C) only.
- Remove once done and serve hot.
- You can additionally brush them with some more butter or garlic herbed butter (if not vegan).
PIN IT FOR LATER