Air fryer potato slices are quick sides and even snacks for kids. This is too good to make in the air fryer also. These sliced potatoes can be baked in the air fryer or in the oven too.
Air fryer sliced potatoes are the best sides for any menu. These are air fryer fried potatoes or potato slices. I loved sliced potatoes and used to make them on the skillet before I have really tried them making in my air fryer. But with the air fryer, we can make with much lesser oil and no need to babysit them too. You can make the slices thin or thick. This is too delicious with few ingredients only.
Air Fryer Sliced Potatoes
Sliced potatoes are like thick potato chips. These are so versatile and perfect to add to any menu, i.e. as an appetizer with a dip, as a side dish with any stew, in big bowls, etc.
Sliced potatoes are easy to make anyways. There are three ways you can make the sliced potatoes, i.e. on stovetop skillet, oven-baked, air fryer. In any of the ways, there is no need to precook the potatoes.
However, if you are making this on the skillet and chopping them really thicker, it's recommended to steam it for a few minutes (2 min max) to reduce the cooking time. If the thickness is up to 1 - 1.5 cm, then also you can directly fry them in the skillet on low heat. It may require little attention and time to make on a skillet than in an air fryer. To cook potato slices
Crispy Sliced Potatoes In Air Fryer
Sliced potatoes in the air fryer is an easy and quick air fryer potato dish that makes the potatoes crispy baked without falling apart and getting mushy. The key to this is soaking the potatoes in chilled water for 30 minutes or so. This not only helps remove the starch but also will make them crispier. However, you can skip soaking in chilled water
If you are making these potato slices in the air fryer, precooking is not at all necessary. However, the starchy potatoes take a little longer than less-starchy potatoes. So the timing may vary depending on the size of the potato slices, the type of potatoes, and last but not least on type and size of the air fryers.
You'll love to make sliced potatoes in the air fryer because these are:
- great sides or appetizer
- easy and quick
- customize with different spices
- vegan and gluten-free
- less oil or can be made no oil
- minimum ingredients - 4
- customize the flavors with spices & herbs
- versatile to add in any menu
How to make air fryer potato slices?
Potatoes - Any potatoes will be good. Though cooking time may be slightly different.
Seasonings - Paprika, garlic powder, salt. You can add any of your favorite herb mix or spice mix for any specific flavor.
Oil spray - You can take either olive oil or avocado oil to give a light spray on the slices. Oil gives a crispier texture though.
Oil-free substitute -
To make the sliced potatoes completely oil-free, substitute oil with vegetable broth. In a small bowl, take 2 tbsp broth and add spices to it. Mix. Now brush the slices on both the sides with the spice mix.
How to slice potatoes for air fryer sliced potatoes?
To make the sliced potatoes, you can either slice them into thicker coins or thinner coins. Thinner slices will be more like thick potato chips.
And the major difference will be in temperature or timings only. The thinner slices will require lesser time or a low temperature, whereas the thicker slices might take 2 - 4 minutes more or a higher temperature to cook nicely. If the potato slices are thin, they will be cooked faster than the thick ones.
By thicker slice I mean the slices with a thickness of around 1 cm and thin slices might have a thickness of 0.5 cm roughly. Choose what you need as per the menu you are planning.
Do I need to remove the skin of the potatoes?
Not at all. You don't need to remove the skin of the potatoes. Skins taste great in such fried potatoes, no matter how are cooked. Also, the skin contains many vitamins and minerals too. So it's always good to keep the skin on the potatoes. Also, it holds the shape of the potatoes in slices. However, you can peel off the skin you wish to.
Preparation for air fryer potato slices
Slice potatoes into roughly 0.5 cm - 1 cm thickness. Place them in a bowl filled with water. Wash and rinse the slices once or twice to remove excess starch. Then immerse the slices in cold water for 20 - 30 minutes. This will make the slices a little crispier and hold the texture.
Now remove the slices out of the water and pat them dry using a paper napkin or kitchen towel. Now drizzle the salt and spices. Gently rub the potatoes with spices coating them nicely.
Air Fry The Potato Slices
Brush the air fryer basket slightly with a little olive oil.
Add seasonings and a drizzle of olive oil over the slices. Toss to season the slices.
Preheat the air fryer to 375 F (190 C) for 3 minutes.
Then arrange the seasoned potato slices in the basket.
Next, start the air fryer at 375 F or 190 C for 6 - 8 minutes depending on their thickness. Check and flip the slices at around 4 minutes (shake the basket).
Thicker slices of 1 cm - 2 cm takes 10 - 12 minutes at 400 F.
Keep the skin on. After cutting the potato into slices, wash and rinse the slices to remove starch. Then soak in cold water if you want little crispier slices.
Note - Don't stalk them one on one (sticking to each other) if arranging another layer. But I will recommend making them in a layer only and if making in large quantity, then make in batches.
If you cut them at the thickness as shown in the instruction picture above, i.e. appx 0.5 cm (half a cm), 8 minutes is enough (check at 4-minute mark). But if they are 1 cm or more in thickness, make the timing for 10 minutes at 400F (200F).
Flipping the potatoes in the midway is not compulsory though since they will be cooked evenly.
Similar Air Fryer Recipes:
Air Fryer Potato Slices (Sliced Potatoes in Air Fryer)
Air Fryer Sliced Potatoes
- Kitchen Towel
- Large bowl
- 3 medium potatoes any potatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 salt
- Olive oil spray
- Wash and clean the potatoes.
- Rub the skin nicely to get rid of any dirt on it.
- Slice potatoes into roughly 0.5 cm - 1 cm thickness.
- Place them in a bowl filled with water.
- Wash and rinse the slices once or twice to remove excess starch.
- Then immerse the slices in cold water for 20 - 30 minutes. This will make the slices a little crispier and hold the texture.
- Now remove the slices out of water and pat them dry using a paper napkin or kitchen towel.
- Then drizzle oil along with salt and seasonings.
- Mix gently coating the potato slices nicely.
Air Fry The Potato Slices
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 3 minutes.
- Grease the basket lightly with oil.
- Now arrange the slice in a layer.
- Next, start the air fryer at 375 F or 190 C for 6 - 8 minutes depending on their thickness. (See Notes Below)
- If slices are thick more than 1 cm - 2cm, cook at 400 F (200 C) for 10 minutes flipping at 5 minutes.
- Check and flip the slices at around 4 minutes (shake the basket gently or flip with help of a tong).
- When done, remove and sprinkle some fresh herbs finely chopped or some chilli flakes.
- Keep the skin on. After cutting the potato into slices, wash and rinse the slices to remove starch. Then soak in cold water if you want little crispier slices.
- If you cut them the thickness shown in the picture, i.e. appx 0.5 cm (half a cm), 6 - 8 minutes is enough (check at the 4-minute mark).
- Flipping the potatoes in the midway is not compulsory though since they will be cooked evenly.
If you like the recipes and want to stay updated, subscribe via email. Also, I would request you to like and share my Facebook Page. Follow My Dainty Kitchen on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Leave a Comment (And a 5 Star Rating)