This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Air fryer potato slices are quick sides and even snacks for kids. This is too good to make in the air fryer also. These sliced potatoes can be baked in the air fryer or in oven too.
Air fryer sliced potatoes are the best sides for any menu. These are air fryer fried potatoes or potato slices. I loved sliced potatoes and used to make them on skillet before I have really tried them making in my air fryer. But in the air fryer we can make with much lesser oil and no need to babysit them too. You can make the slices thin or thick. This is too delicious with few ingredients only.
Sliced potatoes are like thick potato chips. These are so versatile and perfect to add to any menu, i.e. as an appetizer with a dip, as a side dish with any stew, big bowls, etc.
Sliced potatoes are easy to make anyways. There are three ways you can make the sliced potatoes, i.e. on stovetop skillet, oven-baked, air fryer. In any of the ways there is no need to precook the potatoes.
However, if you are making this on skillet and chopping them really thicker, it’s recommended to steam it for few minutes (2 min max) to reduce the cooking time. If the thickness is up to 1 – 1.5 cm, then also you can directly fry them on skillet on low heat. It may require little attention and time to make on skillet than in an air fryer.
Crispy Sliced Potatoes In Air Fryer
Sliced potatoes in air fryer is an easy and quick air fryer potato dish that makes the potatoes crispy baked without falling apart and getting mushy. The key to this is soaking the potatoes in chilled water for 30 minutes or so. This not only helps removing starch but also will make them crispier. However, you can skip soaking in chilled water
If you are making these potato slices in air fryer, precooking is not at all necessary. However, the starchy potatoes takes a little longer than less-starchy potatoes. So the timing may vary depending on the size of the potato slices, type of potatoes and last but not the least on type and size of the air fryers.
You’ll love air fryer sliced potatoes because these are:
- great sides or appetizer
- easy and quick
- customize with different spices
- vegan and gluten-free
- less oil or can be made no oil
- minimum ingredients – 4
- customize the flavors with spices & herbs
- versatile to add in any menu
How to make air fryer potato slices?
Potatoes – Any potatoes will be good. Though cooking time may be slightly different.
Seasonings – Paprika, garlic powder, salt. Hee you can add any of your favorite herb mix or spice mix for any specific flavor.
Oil spray – You can take either olive oil or avocado oil to give a light spray on the slices. Oil gives a crispier texture though.
Oil-free substitute –
To make the sliced potatoes completely oil free, substitute this with vegetable broth. In a small bowl, take 2 tbsp broth and add spices to it. Mix. Now brush the slices on both sides with the spice mix.
How to slice potatoes for air fryer sliced potatoes?
To make the sliced potatoes, you can either slice them thicker coins or thinner coins. Thinner slices will be more of like thick potato chips.
And major difference will be in timings only. The thinner slices will require lesser time where as the thicker slices might take 2 minutes more to be cooked nicely. Also the texture will vary a little, i.e. thinner might have crispier browns at spots but the thick potato slices will be softer as compared to the earlier.
Here by thicker slice I mean the slices with thickness of around 1 cm and thin slices might have thickness of 0.5 cm roughly. Choose what you need as per the menu you are planning.
Do I need to remove the skin of potatoes?
Not at all. You don’t need to remove the skin of potatoes. Skins taste great in such fried potatoes, no matter how are cooked. Also the skin contains many vitamins, minerals too. So it’s always good to keep the skin on the potatoes. Also it hold the shape of the potatoes in slices. However, you can peel off the skin you you wish to.
Preparation for air fryer potato slices
Slice potatoes into roughly 0.5 cm – 1 cm thickness. Place them in bowl filled with water. Wash and rinse the slices once or twice to remove excess starch. Then immerse the slices in cold water for 20 – 30 minutes. This will make the slices a little crispier and hold the texture.
Now remove the slices out of water and pat them dry using a paper napkin or kitchen towel. Now drizzle the salt and spices. Mix gently coating the potato slices nicely.
Air Fry The Potato Slices
Brush the air fryer basket slightly with a little olive oil. Place the slices on the basket. Arrange in a single layer. Don’t stalk them one on one (sticking to each other) if arranging another layer. But I will recommend to make them in a layer only and if more then make in batches.
Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 3 minutes. Then arrange the seasoned potato slices in the basket. Next, start the air fryer at 355 F or 180 C for 8 – 10 minutes depending on their thickness. Check and flip the slices at around 6 minutes (shake the basket). For little crispier layer, add 2 – 3 minutes more at 400 F or 200C.
Keep the skin on. After cut the potato into slices, wash and rinse the slices to remove starch. Then soak in cold water if you want little crispier slices.
If you cut them the thickness shown in the picture, i.e. appx 0.5 cm (half a cm), 8 minutes is enough (check at 4 minute mark). But if they are of 1 cm thick, make the timing for 10 minutes.
For little more browning effect on layer, sprinkle a little olive oil on them while you change the temperature to 400 F, i.e. last 2 minutes.
Flipping the potatoes in the midway is not compulsory though since they will be cooked evenly.
Similar Air Fryer Recipes:
Recipe Air Fryer Potato Slices
Air Fryer Sliced Potatoes
- oil spray
- Kitchen Towel
- Large bowl
- Wash and clean the potatoes.
- Rub the skin nicely to get rid of any dirt on it.
- Slice potatoes into roughly 0.5 cm – 1 cm thickness.
- Place them in a bowl filled with water.
- Wash and rinse the slices once or twice to remove excess starch.
- Then immerse the slices in cold water for 20 – 30 minutes. This will make the slices a little crispier and hold the texture.
- Now remove the slices out of water and pat them dry using a paper napkin or kitchen towel.
- Then drizzle oil along with salt and spices.
- Mix gently coating the potato slices nicely.
Air Fry The Potato Slices
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 3 minutes.
- Grease the basket lightly with oil.
- Now arrange the slice in a layer.
- Next, start the air fryer at 355 F or 180 C for 8 – 10 minutes depending on their thickness. (See Notes Below)
- Check and flip the slices at around 6 minutes (shake the basket gently or flip with help of a tong).
- For a little crispier layer, sprinkle a little oil from top and add 2 – 3 minutes more at 400 F or 200C.
- When done, remove and sprinkle some fresh herbs finely chopped or some chilli flakes.
- Keep the skin on. After cutting the potato into slices, wash and rinse the slices to remove starch. Then soak in cold water if you want little crispier slices.
- If you cut them the thickness shown in the picture, i.e. appx 0.5 cm (half a cm), 8 minutes is enough (check at the 4-minute mark). But if they are of 1 cm thick, make the timing for 10 minutes.
- For a little more browning effect on the layer, sprinkle a little olive oil on them while you change the temperature to 400 F, i.e. last 2 minutes.
- Flipping the potatoes in the midway is not compulsory though since they will be cooked evenly.