This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Sweet potato fries are a great alternative to regular French fries that is both healthy, tasty, and easy to make at home. Air fryer sweet potato fries are one of the best vegan appetizers.
Sweet potato fries are my favorite snack when I was a kid. I remember my mother used to make roasted sweet potatoes. But gradually when I left home for higher education and my job, I completely left eating sweet potatoes. Maybe I didn’t get that to cook handy. But thanks to my air fryer. I started revisiting my childhood days. Of course that time there was no air fryer, but that taste and memories always make me nostalgic.
Sweet potato fries are quite popular across the globe for over a decade. But they have become even more popular recently due to the fact that sweet potatoes are now available in various colors. They taste delicious, too.
Benefits of sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are healthy vegetables that contain lots of nutrients essential for our body such as Vitamins A & C, fiber, calcium, and potassium. They help lower bad LDL cholesterol levels while raising good HDL cholesterol which aids in preventing heart disease
1. Rich in vitamins, essential nutrients – Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamins A, B6, and C, Potassium, Magnesium, and Iron. Sweet potatoes contain about 400% of vitamin A. Great for eyes, skin too.
2. Rich antioxidants – It has a natural antioxidant called beta-carotene (a fat-soluble antioxidant) which helps prevent cancer as well as heart diseases.
3. High Vitamin C – Vitamin C in sweet potatoes can improve your immune system function while fighting free radicals at the same time. Helps to prevent cancer and many other deadly diseases.
4. High in fiber – Sweet potatoes give more soluble fibers than insoluble fibers. It increases the good bacteria in the intestine that keeps the digestive system healthy. Fiber is important in preventing constipation and diabetes while controlling blood sugar levels. Fiber helps to keep your gut healthy by removing/ excreting toxins from your body.
5. High potassium – High potassium is required to balance the blood pressure and keep the heart healthy and prevent deadly heart strokes.
6. Rich in B vitamins – B9 or folate which helps prevent birth defects. Sweet potato is rich in B vitamins. Vitamin B6 is also essential for the production of neurotransmitters while vitamin B1 (thiamin) plays an important role in the healthy nervous system.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
The difference is not just the color. Sweet potato fries taste better than potato fries because it has more natural sugar. It’s so delicious in taste with natural sweetness. They are low in calories and are naturally gluten-free.
Air fryer sweet potato fries are relatively easier than baking them in an oven. They are still relatively easy to make in air fryers and it will take less energy and time as compared to the oven baking. Also, you don’t need to heat up the whole kitchen to bake your fries. Read my other air fryer recipes here.
Ingredients you will need –
Sweet potatoes are the main ingredients. There are different varieties of sweet potatoes. Any of them will do great.
A simple seasoning of salt and black pepper will do magic. If you love a little spicy, add a pinch of cayenne pepper/ sweet paprika to the seasoning. Sweet paprika adds a spicy tint to the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes.
Instructions to air fry the sweet potato fries
Preheat the air fryer at 390 F (200 C) for 4 minutes.
Wash & peel the skin off the sweet potatoes, discard the ends if needed then cut each into sticks that are about 1/4 – 1/2 inches wide. Put them in a large mixing bowl, add salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper/ paprika (optional if you like). Add 2 – 3 tsp olive oil and mix them all so that the fries are nicely coated.
Then transfer the fries to the air fryer basket. Put them in your air fryer basket. Now start the air fryer at 390 F (200C) for 12 – 14 minutes. Toss them in between so that they will be evenly cooked.
You’ll need to check every 5 minutes or at least once in half of the set time. And shake them around from side to side with tongs until they are crispy enough for your taste buds. If you like them not very crispy, check and remove at 10 minutes.
**Note – Air fryer timer may vary depending on the type and size of your air fryer. Also, it depends on the thickness of the fries too. If you feel it needs to be cooked longer please increase the timer based on your judgment. I make these fries at the 12 – 15 minutes mark maximum. But many air fryer cooks the fries at 20 minutes and some at 10 – 12 minutes also. So set your time for the air fryer you have.
** Note – Though homemade fries will be crispy, don’t expect it to be as crispy as the frozen ones. Frozen ones are precooked and have preservatives. But homemade fries are delicious too.
Tips for best sweet potato fries
1. Cut them evenly. This will help them to cook evenly and faster in your air fryer. You will need a sharp knife to cut the sweet potatoes since these are a little harder in texture than potatoes (denser than potatoes).
2. Preheat the air fryer. Though it’s not compulsory and many brands say it’s not required, it’s easier to track the timing while making fries.
3. Shake the basket every 4 minutes. This ensures even-cooking and faster cooking of the fries. They may get burnt if left untouched in the basket for too long!
Recipe Card for Air fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Wash and peel the skin of the sweet potatoes.
- With help of a sharp knife, cut them into 1/4 – 1/2 inch pieces.
- Soak it in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer at 390 F for 4 minutes.
- In the mean while, remove the fries from water and wipe them with a paper napkin.
- Place the fries in a large bowl.
- Add the spices mentioned above in the ingredients list above.
- Drizzle 2 – 3 tsp oil and now mix them nicely with the sweet potato fries.
- Now when the air fryer beeps, remove the basket and transfer the seasoned fries into the basket.
- Then set timer at 12 minutes at 390 F (200C).
- Toss them in the midway or at every 5 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- If you like half cooked sweet potatoes, check at 10 minutes if you can remove. If you love crispier fries, try for 2 – 3 minutes extra (14 – 15 minutes)
- Cut them evenly. This will help them to cook evenly and faster in your air fryer.
- You will need a sharp knife to cut the sweet potatoes since these are a little harder in texture than potatoes (denser than potatoes).
- Preheat the air fryer. Though it’s not compulsory and many brands say it’s not required, it’s easier to track the timing while making fries.
- Shake the basket every 4 minutes. This ensures even-cooking and faster cooking of the fries. They may get burnt if left untouched in the basket for too long.