There's nothing quite like a warm, cozy bowl of soup to help ward off the chill on a cold day. This low-carb cream of mushroom soup is perfect for those days when you're craving something hearty and nutritious.
Made with fresh mushrooms, creamy coconut milk, and fragrant herbs, this soup is both delicious and satisfying. Best of all, it's easy to make and can be ready in just 30 minutes. So why not give it a try? You may just find yourself making it a regular staple on your menu. Enjoy!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Monsoon and hot soups!! what a heavenly combination. I must say this creamy and low-carb mushroom soup is my all-time favorite now. I love to make this delicious creamy mushroom soup very often.
This is one of the soul-warming soup recipes for fall or winter. This cream of mushroom soup is an easy and quick soup where you don't need any kind of preparation. This is a quick soup recipe for the lazy weeknight dinner as well.
This creamy mushroom soup is vegan and easily customize to other diets like the keto diet or simple vegetarian. This is perfect for any diet with a little variation in the ingredients. Whether it's summer, monsoon, or winter, dig into the warm soup bowl and enjoy.
Rich with nutrients this mushroom soup is super easy to make and flavorful with its earthy look & taste. It has flavors of garlic and chili for that spiciness, coconut cream/ milk or vegan yogurt (or dairy yogurt/ fresh cream for vegetarians), black pepper, and natural mild sweetness from mushrooms and onion, everything is well balanced making this a perfectly creamy and delicious soup.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Mushrooms - Any type available to you.
Onion & garlic - For keto, you can reduce the onion or skip it. Garlic adds a nice flavor to the soup.
Flour - wheat flour for vegan/ vegetarian - almond flour or coconut flour for keto. I prefer almond flour as it adds a nutty flavor too.
Plant-based milk - Unsweetened almond milk
Coconut Cream - For keto & vegans - Full cream for vegetarian keto - Substitute yogurt/ vegan yogurt
Fresh herb - Rosemary blends well with the flavor of mushrooms. You can add any of the herbs of choice.
Fat - Olive oil or Vegan butter for Vegans - Butter for vegetarians & keto
How to make cream of mushrooms soup?
This creamy mushroom soup is ready in less than 20 minutes. It's that easy and quick recipe. At the same time, this is delicious, rich, and filling. Quick, rich, creamy, low-carb, low-calorie, healthy, soup served in a bowl.
- Chop and saute mushrooms, onions, garlic, and rosemary or thyme (optional). This will take 5 - 7 minutes since the mushroom will release some moisture into it.
- Reserve some of the fried mushrooms for toppings.
- Sprinkle flour and saute for a minute. Add water/ milk (dairy or non-dairy) to simmer.
- Remove once they are cooked well. (it may take 2 - 4 minutes at max).
- Transfer them to a blender and blend them to a smooth puree. Add seasonings (salt & pepper) to taste.
- Now again transfer the puree to the pot or saucepan. Simmer for 2 - 3 minutes. In the end, add fresh cream/ coconut cream to the soup. Give them a nice stir to mix.
- Finally, garnish with fried mushrooms (reserved earlier), drizzle some more cream & serve a hot bowl of soup.
Storage & Reheat
This tastes best when piping hot. However, this can be stored in a refrigerator for 4 - 5 days when packed in an air-tight container. When ready to reheat, microwave for 1 minute or till it's warm enough. Add some fresh cream/ herbs to garnish or serve as it is.
F A Qs
Yes, absolutely. Mushroom is a low-carb, low-calorie vegetable that is perfect for a keto diet. Also, this recipe has all ingredients and substitutions that are keto-friendly.
Not necessary. You can skip adding flour completely if you don't want a very thick creamy texture. Also if you add a lot of cream to the soup, you may skip adding flour and milk to the soup. Substitute with broth instead. For vegan mushroom soup, I add flour mostly since that brings a nice smooth consistency to it.
Cream of Mushroom Soup (Keto + Vegan)
- 1 tbsp olive oil Sub - Butter for vegetarian/ keto
- ½ lb mushrooms washed and diced
- 1 sprig rosemary/ thyme any herb of choice
- 1 tbsp chopped onions sub - ½ tsp onion powder
- 6 - 8 garlic cloves (1 tsp minced garlic)
- 1 green chilli sub - cayenne pepper (Optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 3 - 4 tbsp coconut cream sub - fresh cream for vegetarian, keto
- salt to taste or to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or water
- 2 tbsp almond flour sub - cocnut flour/ wheat flour (for non-keto)
- Wash and chop mushrooms, onion, and garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add minced garlic and onions.
- Add fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme and a green chili.
- Once onion is translucent add chopped mushrooms.
- Saute for 5 - 6 minutes till mushrooms look caramelized and turn a little brown.
- Reserve some pieces to add to the soup in later stage.
- Now add 1 tsp almond flour on to the pan of mushrooms.
- And saute for a minute or two. Keep stirring during this.
- Add unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk here.
- Let it simmer for 2 - 3 minutes with continuous stirring.
- Now blend it to a smooth puree using a hand blender (or in a blender jar).
- Dilute with additional milk as per the required consistency.
- Simmer the mixture for another 2 minutes.
- If using a blender jar, transfer to the pot once the mixture is pureed well and simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Now add the cream (dairy or non dairy) and give a stir to mix.
- It will reach a thicker consistency now. Simmer for a minute and then remove from heat.
- Add a swirl of cream and the reserved pieces of fried mushrooms. Serve hot.
- If you are using a regular mixer grinder, then cool the mushroom mixture completely before blending else it will burst with hot air pressure.
- Can skip the onions completely.
- For spiciness, you can use green chili or black pepper, or cayenne pepper.
- Add almond flour for a healthier option.
- Add different varieties of mushrooms to your mushroom soup.
- Can skip adding flour and milk by substituting them with broth. This helps if you are making it completely keto soup with a lot of creams added to it.
Read similar recipes:
If you like the recipes and want to stay updated, subscribe via email. Also, I would request you to like and share my Facebook Page. Follow My Dainty Kitchen on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Leave a Comment (And a 5 Star Rating)