This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Make this quick, healthy, soul-warming vegan cabbage soup for your dinner. This is not only filling, but at the same time it helps in losing some pounds. Healthy, loaded with veggies, vegan, gluten-free, soy-free soup is perfect.
This vegan cabbage soup is a magic dish for me. Cabbage soup is super easy, delicious, and a nutritious soup that I would prefer for my dinner. For dinner, we should eat light food for better digestion and lesser calorie intake.
Vegan Cabbage Soup
This soup is one of the healthiest soups where you can add any vegetables of your choice. There can be no restrictions to it. This is a detox soup I would say. Here all the vegetables are low calorie and help in promoting weight loss and maintaining healthy body weight. In this soup, I am not using many spices other than salt and peppers. I love this vegan cabbage soup.
Nutrition & Health Benefits of Cabbage
Let us see how cabbage is beneficial for our health and why shall we include this green vegetable in our diet?
Cabbage is a low-calorie vegetable. This is packed with many nutrients like vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin B6, folate, manganese, magnesium, potassium, calcium, and many other micronutrients.
Cabbage is high in fiber and contains powerful antioxidants. Vitamin C itself is a powerful antioxidant and increases immunity against diseases. Antioxidants also fight free radicals and prevent the damage caused by the free radicals. This reduces the chance of many dangerous and chronic diseases like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.
High B6, folate helps in keeping nervous system healthy. Insoluble fiber helps to keep the gut and digestive system healthy. This also keeps bad cholesterol away and heart healthy.
How to make vegan cabbage soup?
Veggies – Cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, green peas, corns, mushrooms, and roasted/ canned tomatoes. Take fresh vegetables or frozen chopped veggies.
Spices – Salt & Pepper. You make it spicy, add cayenne pepper.
Here I will share how to make this vegan cabbage soup in 2 ways, i.e. stove top and instant pot.
Vegan Cabbage Soup on Stovetop
Chop vegetables: Chop veggies into small bite size pieces or shred them
Sauté veggies: Heat a pot or pan. Add onion, celery, carrots, and sauté. You can use 1 tbsp olive oil if required. Add crushed garlic and sauté for a minute. Then add other veggies as well. Sauté on medium flame till they turn soft and tender for up to 5 – 6 minutes.
Add broth & simmer: Next, add in vegetable broth, roasted tomatoes, and simmer for 8 – 10 minutes on medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat when done. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Instant Pot Detox Cabbage Soup
Select sauté mode on the Instant Pot. When it’s hot, add onion, garlic, carrots, celery stalks, and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add cabbage, other veggies, roasted tomatoes/ canned tomatoes, and give them a nice stir. Season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional).
Add in vegetable broth to the instant pot. Season with salt and pepper. Close the lid of the instant pot and seal vent. Cook on high for 10 minutes. Then let it quick release naturally for 15 minutes.
Open the lid and give it a gentle stir. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves or parsley. Add a dash of lemon juice to the soup.
Few Tips to make best soup
- Prep the vegetables ahead and store them in freezer-friendly bags. Or use frozen veggies for a quick soup.
- Add more varieties of veggies for a more power-packed soup.
- For more heat, use cayenne pepper or chili powder. To reduce the heat only sprinkle some chili flakes before serving.
- Serve the soup when hot for the best health benefits. You can reheat in the microwave for 1 minute before serving.
- To make this soup thicker, make a slurry with a tsp corn starch and water. Add to the soup after the veggies are cooked. Add the slurry to the simmering soup and simmer for another minute before turning off the heat.
Is this soup freezer-friendly?
Yes, you can store the leftover soup in freezer boxes closed with lid for up to 2 – 3 months. Otherwise you can also refrigerate for about 4 – 5 days. When required just thaw for some time and then reheat for 1 minute in a microwave.
Why you will love this cabbage soup?
- Cabbage soup is vegan, naturally gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free.
- Loaded with lots of nutritious vegetables.
- Easy to make with minimal spices and ingredients.
- Can be made on a stovetop, instant pot, slow cooker.
- Takes less than 30 minutes.
- Healthy and good for weight loss
Recipe Card for Vegan Cabbage Soup
Vegan Cabbage Soup
- Dutch oven/ pot
- Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium cabbage head
- 1/2 red cabbage (optional)
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 medium white onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup corn
- 2 large garlic pods
- 14 oz roasted tomatoes 1 can tomatoes
- 1 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tsp corn starch (optional)
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add crushed garlic, onion, celery stalks, carrots and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add all chopped vegetables and saute on high flame for 4 minutes.
- Then add canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and mix well.
- Add vegetable broth and simmer for 8 -10 minutes on low flame.
- Once veggies are cooked, turn off heat.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro or parsley.
- Add a dash of lemon juice to the soup.
Instant pot cabbage soup
- Select sauté mode on the Instant Pot.
- When it's hot, add onion, garlic, carrots, celery stalks, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Then add cabbage, other veggies, roasted tomatoes/ canned tomatoes, and give them a nice stir.
- Season with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional).
- Add in vegetable broth to the instant pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn off saute mode of instant pot.
- Close the lid of the instant pot and seal vent.
- Cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Then let it quick release naturally for 15 minutes.
- Open the lid and give it a gentle stir.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves or parsley.
- Add a dash of lemon juice to the soup.
- You can also omit the oil and make the soup oil-free. Here skip the step of sauteeing in oil. Just saute on the pan without oil and add broth to simmer.
- Add a slurry to make the soup a little thicker but this is totally optional.
- You can also use fresh tomatoes or a fresh puree of tomatoes.
- You can also add other seasonings like oregano, basil, or any other dried herbs or fresh herbs too.
- If making for a weight loss diet, then use Himalayan Pink Salt. Any other salt is also okay.
- Add any vegetables you like. Add some greens also.