Hearty Tomato Soup
Hearty Tomato Soup is all you need in chilled winters. Add sweet basil leaves to it. It tastes even better. Okay when I'm talking about tomato soup recipe, I have some memories flashback in my mind. For me when you say tomato soup one thing comes to my mind "the rail trips". If you are from India, you must have travelled in Indian Railways. This is the soup offered with butter and bread sticks. However those tomato soups are different from mine. This is a creamy soup without any flour added to it. Even its most popular soup in Indian Restaurants. Normally bread croutons are added to tomato soups.
We all know Tomatoes are great nutrition source and we should consume it on our daily diet. However the form does not matter. You can take it as salads, soups, dips. When we cook any gravy in Indian curry, almost every dish contains tomato in it. It adds that tangy flavor to the dish. They are most loved vegetables not only in India but also in many other countries also.
In this soup I have used roasted tomatoes. If you will roast them them within fractions of seconds it leaves the skin and what remains is only pulp. Again I have removed the seeds from it. Because I din't want to strain the pulp. I wanted a creamy texture. You can always add corn flour mixture to make it of thicker consistency. But I have not used any flour. This is healthier. Use garlic for flavor. I have also added two leaves of basil. That flavor blended so well with tomatoes. Add little sugar to the soup. You will love this tangy mildly sweet hot soup with sprinkles of black pepper. You can add extra cream to make this rich. But I don't like much of cream in soups.
This hot soup will refresh you. I say hot because I like it that way (not warm).
Very simple and quick to prepare. When I wrote this term "quick", I got another flashback related to this quick tomato soup. When I was new to cooking or rather say hardly into cooking, I had made tomato soup for my Father in law. And I took more than 1 hr 🙂 I have strained all pulps and what served was very funny in fact. I don't even remember how I have prepared that soup. Now I can say I'm a better cook ;). Seriously this Hearty Tomato Soup took only 10 minutes to prepare.
Lets make this easy and quick soup in 3 easy steps. This is vegan and gluten free recipe.
(I just loved the shinning orange color, I had clicked almost 40 pics of this soup.)
Hearty Tomato Soup
- Keep the tomatoes directly on fire. Within 30 seconds you can see the cracks on its skin. Keep it there for another 30 seconds. Then remove from heat and peel off the external skin of tomatoes.
- At the same time cut it into halves and remove the seeds with help of a spoon. Don't remove the whole pulp.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and onion. Add seedless tomatoes and basil leaves (chopped) to the pan and add 1/2 cup water. cook for 1 minutes till tomatoes are cooked.
- Transfer the content to a mixer jar. Grind it to a fine puree. Just check there is no bigger chunk left inside. Remove with help of spoon.
- Heat pan again. Transfer the puree to it. Add sugar, salt and black pepper powder. Add 1/2 cup water. Simmer it for 2 - 3 minutes.
- If you want to add corn flour, then add in this step. Make a mixture of 1 tsp corn starch with 2 -3 tbsp water. And transfer that to boiling soup and stir well. (I have skipped this step in my soup)
- Tomato soup is ready. Garnish with cilantro leaves/ basil leaves. I have taken onion leaves.