This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Pav Bhaji | Mumbai Style Pav Bhaji
Pav Bhaji is one of the most loved street food especially in Maharashtra and especially in Mumbai.
This is a combo of pav (bread) and bhaji (curry). But the spices used in preparation makes the curry or bhaji unique and divinely tasty.
You can use this curry with other roti, chapati or rice also but it actually tastes great when served with Pav which is lightly fried with butter.
Pav Bhaji is generally considered as a street food but you can get at restaurants also in Mumbai or Pune or any other parts of the state. This is such a mouth-watering dish you can never ignore having this at any point of time.
In Mumbai sea beach, there are food corners (known as “Chaupati”) you will find many shops that serve super delicious pav bhaji.
Chaupatis are very famous and if you are a tourist visiting Mumbai then this is a “must-go” place. Of course, it’s a place of natural beauty but with that it’s a hub of all street foods. The food stalls are hygienic also.
But being extra cautious about the hygiene part, I love to make such dishes at home. I’m a huge fan of home-cooked food and try to make all the variations for my family.
Coming back to the spicy and yummy recipe, if you are not very health freak or even on a cheat day then add 1/2 – 1 tsp butter to this vegetable curry.
This is a mixed vegetable curry where we use potatoes, cauliflower, capsicum, tomatoes, onion for this preparation. You can also add carrots to this if making for kids.
The vegetables are cooked and minced/mashed completely for this dish. And these veggies are cooked with aromatic spice known as “Pav Bhaji Masala”.
Pav Bhaji Masala
These are commonly available in any grocery store or super markets. Even if you don’t get it nearby you can always try the online options from Amazon. You can try any of the brands. But my favourite one is EVEREST PAV BHAJI MASALA. I have also tried other brands like Badshah and Eastern which also give nice flavor to the dish. Well I have tried other spices from Eastern Condiments and I’m loving them actually.
Let’s make super delicious Mumbai Street Style Pav Bhaji at home.
Pav Bhaji Recipe | Mumbai Style Pav Bhaji | How To Make Pav Bhaji In 30 Minutes
- 5 - 6 Potatoes (large) boiled
- 8 - 10 Cauliflower florets (large) boiled
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 2 Green Capsicum (medium) finely chopped
- 3 Onion (large) finely chopped
- 6 - 7 Tomato (large) Pureed
- 3 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Ghee/ clarified butter
- 2 tbsp Refined Oil
- 3 - 5 tbsp Coriander leaves finely Chopped
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 3 - 4 tbsp Pav Bhaji Masala
- 1 tbsp Salt or as per taste
- 4 tbsp Corinader leaves finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Onion finely chopped
- 2 Lemon cut into quarters
- 10 - 12 Pav or as required
- 5 - 6 tbsp Butter
- Boil potatoes in a pressure cooker. Cook for 5 - 6 whistles till potatoes cooked completely.
- Similarly boil cauliflower and green peas in a cooker for faster process. cook for 2 - 3 whistles maximum. You may use grated cauliflowers but that will be little time consuming. You can also boil all the vegetables in one go.
- Mash all the vegetables completely with help of a masher.
- Heat one heavy bottom kadai or frying pan. Add oil and ghee. Once hot add 1 tbsp butter to it. add ginger garlic paste. Saute well till it's smell goes off. You can close the lid for some time as it will splutter.
- When done add finely chopped onion and saute till it's translucent and cooked well.
- Add finely chopped capsicum to it. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- In the meanwhile Puree the tomatoes to a fine paste.
- Pour the tomato puree to the kadai and mix well.
- Cook till tomatoes are cooked well and leaves oil.
- Add dry spices (red chilli powder, pinch of turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala) to the pan and stir well for 1 minute.
- Add all boiled and mashed veggies and mix well.
- Add 1 - 2 cup of water and let it simmer for some time. Adjust water as per the consistency you need.
- Season with salt. Adjust red chilli powder and pav bhaji masala as per taste. simmer for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp lemon juice and mix well.
- Check the consistency. It should not be very thick or dry or very thin.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pan. Keep pav on butter and lightly shallow fry them for 1 minute till turns light brown in color.
- Serve with added chopped coriander leaves and onion on top of the bhaji or curry. Serve the bhaji and pav combo with 1 tsp additional butter for better taste.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast options, please read similar recipes like upma, vegetable upma, pinwheel samosa, aloo pyaz poha, aloo matar poha, gobi paratha, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, bread roll, spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, masala dosa sambar, sattu porridge , tomato omelette, whole wheat dosa, atte ka chila, etc on blog.
Also read my collection of healthy breakfast recipes on blog.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.