This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Masala Pav is indeed a delectable street food of Mumbai. This recipe is very much similar to our famous pav bhaji recipe.
This is also quick and easy to prepare. It takes less than 15 minutes to make this snack for your breakfast or for your teatime or for your tiffin box.
This is a comfort food and doesn’t need any accompaniments to go along with it.
I love the spicy and tangy taste of masala pav. You can reduce chillies if you are making for kids.
Normally ladi pav is used for this masala pav recipe. But if you don’t get it at your place you can simply replace the pav with any breads. To give it a healthier twist use whole wheat or multigrain breads also.
This recipe tastes similar to that of pav bhaji because we use almost same vegetables that adds real flavor to pav bhaji. Also pav bhaji masala is used to make this recipe. So it tastes almost same.
There is another street food Tawa Pulao which tastes like pav bhaji because of same reason. I have posted my Tawa Pulao recipe on blog. Please add this spicy and tangy rice to your meal. And both the pav and rice recipes are quick ones and best option for tiffin box.
Recipe Card For Masala Pav
Masala Pav (Mumbai Street Style)
- 8 pav (or 10 – 12 bread slice)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes finely chopped or pureed
- 1 green chilli
- 3 – 4 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli paste or sauce
- 2 tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water or as required
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Cut pav into equal small pieces.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 15 – 20 seconds.
- Now add chopped onions and green chillies.
- Saute till translucent.
- Then add tomato (chopped or pureed).
- Cook till tomatoes are cooked well and starts leaving oil.
- Add chilli paste/ sauce, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala.
- Add chopped capsicum and mix well.
- Add little water and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Keep the consistency little saucy.
- Then add chopped pieces of pav or bread.
- Give it a nice stir.
- Add 1 tbsp lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
- Turn off heat and serve hot.
How to Make Masala Pav?
Cut pav or bread into small pieces.
Heat butter in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute. Then add chopped onions.
Saute till translucent.
Now add chopped or pureed tomato and red chilli paste or sauce.
Cook for 3 – 5 minutes till tomato is cooked well and starts leaving oil from sides.
Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala, salt to the pan and mix well.
Add chopped capsicum and stir.
Now add 1/2 – 3/4 cup water and simmer for 2 – 3 minutes till you reach desired consistency (saucy consistency).
Now add pav pieces and chopped coriander leaves. Drizzle lemon juice.
Give this a nice stir. Pav will soak up all spicy sauce of pan.
Now turn off heat and serve hot with some chopped coriander leaves and onions.
To give it variation, grate some cheese on top of it and serve cheesy masala pav. This tastes best when hot.
Looking for other street food items that you can make at home? Read below:
Kanda Bhajji/ Batata Bhajji
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.