This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Crispy Onion Fritters | Mumbai Street Style Kanda Bhajji with step by step instructions.
Fritters or pakoda are very tempting deep fried snack which are pleasant to our taste buds. These are not healthy food for us but once in a while we can treat us with these crispy fritters.
I often make these pakodas at home as my husband is very fond of such items as teatime snack. Yes we restrict our intake to check on calorie part.
But the famous kanda bhajji or pakoda we get in Mumbai street side vendors is quite different in taste and texture.
I like that kind of fritters more than my homemade ones which were more into softer side. Though I was adding some rice flour for that crisp, I never used to get that perfect.
How to make perfect crispy kanda bhajji?
So here are some tips to make them same crispy yet soft to make street side kanda bhajia.
First of all slice onions thin. Then add salt and let it rest. By doing this onion will release it’s water.
2. Remove extra water and keep in a bowl.
3. Now add in all spices, flour and mix them well. No need to add extra water. If you feel it’s too dry or you have put some more flour then add only that salt water which you had removed after 30 minutes of soaking.
4. Mix well and nicely for 2 minutes. Then keep the mixture for resting for 5 minutes more.
5. Now it’s ready for deep frying. Fry till these are golden and crispy.
Recipe Card for Crispy Onion Fritters
Crispy Onion Fritters/ Kanda Bhajji
- Slice onions very thin.
- Add salt to it and mix well.
- Allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Now after 30 minutes check onions.
- Remove extra water settled. Keep it in a bowl and don't through it.
- Now add in all spices and mix well.
- Then add flour mixing everything. Don't add any extra water.
- If you feel flour is more drier then just add that water we have removed from onions initially.
- Give it a nice mix using hand or a wired whisk.
- In the meanwhile heat oil on high flame for deep frying.
- Take handful of batter and drop small portions into hot oil.
- Fry until golden and crispy.
- Remove from heat and place on paper napkin to soak excess oil.
- Serve hot with green chutney or ketchup.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.