Crispy potato lollipop is one of the quickest of the quick appetizers. Takes only 10 minutes to prepare these lollipops when you have boiled potatoes ready. This recipe calls for preboiled potatoes for better binding. This is one of the easiest evening snacks you can make. And, it's a vegan appetizer.
10 minutes Crispy Potato Lollipop
Appetizers or snacks have a great place in our cuisine. These are the dry snacking items that goes well for any holiday get-together, any kind of parties as appetizers, or even for your tea time. These appetizers play an important role in pleasing taste buds and hence loved by everybody.
There are numerous party appetizer ideas and recipes. Also, there are country-specific food specialties. But these potato snacks are loved across the globe. Especially for kids and vegetarians. Just play with ingredients and you will make some better and tastier dishes every time.
What snacks can be made of potatoes?
The list of potato appetizers is vast and numerous. Potato is a starchy vegetable and helps in binding the ingredients nicely. In the maximum of vegetarian and vegan appetizers, potato is a binding agent unless and until they are made for some specific diet group.
To make the best use of the potatoes as a binding agent, the cold ones (boiled and cooled) are better than the hot boiled ones. Only thing you need to do is you should boil the potatoes well in advance and cool it. Then in no time, your crispy potato lollipop or any other potato-based appetizer is ready. This is also loved by kids.
Potato lollipop for kids
If you are looking for tiffin box recipes for your kid, then this potato lollipop is such a quick recipe. You can prepare the mixture overnight and refrigerate it. You may shape them differently to make them attractive for kids. Use a cookie cutter to shape them. Make a star or shallow fry like a patty.
Even these are the best easy finger foods for toddlers. Remove chili when making for kids or toddlers. Yes, this is not an everyday tiffin box recipe for kids but of course, you can add grated paneer, or mashed veggies to add nutritional benefits to kids.
How to make potato lollipop?
To simplify the recipe, if I would have to describe in just two steps making this quick appetizer.
- Combine all ingredients and mix properly.
- Coat in bread crumbs and deep-fry.
For this, we need to boil the potatoes before and refrigerate for cooling. The starch is activated well in cooled potatoes. Hot ones will make the batter sticky and runny. This will inhibit in holding proper shape and will break when comes in contact with hot oil (tried & tested).
So if you have only boiled potatoes within minutes you can serve these yummy snacks. Also, you can add grated carrots or peas, corn, and cheese to make it more healthy.
To boil potatoes, you can use pressure cooker, an instant pot or in a pot or pan. If boiling in pot/ pan, just remove the skin. Dice into large pieces and boil till it's cooked. Pierce a fork, if it enters smoothly, your potatoes are done. Remove from heat and drain out from hot water. Now refrigerate for 30 minutes to 45 minutes minimum. The more the better.
Potatoes - Take any potatoes. I have taken the yellow potatoes here. Boil them before and make sure to cool them before you start mixing other ingredients.
Corn starch - This is gluten-free flour and helps in binding the mashed potatoes and spices. This is required to make a slurry. You can also add a teaspoon of it into the potato mixture.
Refined flour - Required to make a slurry. We need to coat the prepared balls in slurry and the roll on the bread crumbs so that they can stick better to the balls.
Bread Crumbs - Bread crumbs make the snacks crispy. These are the outermost layer and it became crunchy when gets fried. So the overall cheese ball is crunchy outside and soft cheese inside.
Take both types of bread crumbs, the regular bread crumbs (for adding in the mixture for binding), and panko bread crumbs (to coat for a crunchy outer layer).
Spices - Oregano, chilli flakes, salt, pepper.
You may just play around with ingredients (veggies and spices) and create some yummy appetizers or party snacks.
This is very simple to make the lollipops. Take mashed potatoes. Add in all spices, cheese, bread crumbs (regular). Mix well making a soft dough like structure.
Divide the whole mixture into equal sized balls. Refrigerate for sometime (optional if you are using cooled potatoes). This will help in setting the shape of the mixture.
In the meanwhile prepare a slurry of flour and cornstarch. Keep the panko bread crumbs ready in another plate/ bowl for coating. In this stage, you can keep the potato balls in a freezer-friendly pouch or container and freeze for up to 2 - 3 weeks. Whenever required, remove from the freezer and keep at room temperature for 5 minutes and follow the rest of the steps.
Now take out the prepared balls and dip into the slurry first. Then take out from the slurry and roll it on the bread crumbs nicely.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Drop the prepared potato balls one by one gently. Don't overcrowd the pan. Make in batches of 8 - 10 maximum at a time. Fry till you see it's golden and looks crunchy.
Your potato balls are ready. To give it a shape of lollipop, serve it with a lollipop stick or a regular stick that makes it a lollipop. Many people add the stick while frying and fry along with the stick. But I don't do that way.
Serve your potato balls or potato lollipop with any sauce of your choice. A simple tomato or chili sauce also goes good.
Recipe Card For Potato Lollipop
10 Minutes Crispy Potato Lollipop
- 4 medium Potatoes Boiled, cooled, mashed
- 1/2 cup Bread crumbs (brown or white)
- 1 tsp onion powder or finely chopped fresh onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder or ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or red chilli powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes optional
- 1 tsp oregano or Italian mixed seasoning
- 2 tbsp Refined flour for slurry
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch for slurry
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs for coating
- 1 cup Refined vegetable oil or canola oil for deep frying/ shallow frying
- Take mashed potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Add bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, chilli powder, chopped coriander & salt.
- Mix them well.
- Keep in refrigerator to set for sometime. This helps in binding properly.
- Then greese your palms and take out small balls from the mixture.
- And roll it to a ball shape or any other shape of your choice.
- Make slurry by mixing refined flour, corn starch with 4 - 5 tbsp water. It should be of flowing consistency just for coating purpose.
- In the meanwhile take breadcrumbs in a plate. Add chilli flakes and oregano seasoning to it. Mix well.
- Dip the potato balls into the slurry and roll it on the panko breadcrumbs mixture.
- Repeat this for each ball and keep aside.
- Deep fry or shallow fry them till it turns golden and crisp.
- Serve hot with any dip of your choice.
- Keep potatoes boiled and cool them before starting the process. This will reduce the preparation time as well.
- Add grated carrots, corn, cheese to make it healthier option for kids and toddlers.
- Adjust the chili amount as per the age group or as per taste.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.