Tawa Pulao | Mumbai Street Style Tawa Pulao recipe with step by step photos.
Again this tawa pulao is one of my favorite recipes. I loved this pulao that I have made today. Mouth watering indeed. My pulao was no less than real street food available in any pav bhaji stall. In fact I loved my home cooked pulao.
Well tawa pulao as the name says, rice is cooked on tawa or pan. Infact pre-cooked or left over rice is stir fried on tawa or skillet along with some vegetables and aromatic spices.
This tastes similar to pav bhaji as we use pav bhaji masala for seasoning of this rice. Again onion, tomato and capsicum are necessary to bring in that flavour of pav bhaji.
Masala Pav and tawa pulao are two dishes that are made in a similar way as pav bhaji with a little variation in method and ingredients. These three items are most popular street food in Mumbai. So if you will get a pav bhaji stall nearby, you will get all 3 items in one place.
Essential ingredients for these 3 items are onion, tomatoes, capsicum, lemon juice, pav bhaji masala. Rest vegetables you can add as per your choice or availability.
E.g. In this rice I have added only green peas. But you can also add some cauliflower, green beans, potatoes, carrots. I have not added other vegetables to prepare this pulao quickly (to save some time).
I must say this is also an excellent tiffin box recipe for kids as well as adults. Adjust chilli part as per requirement and taste.
It's took me hardly 15 minutes. Even if you you do a little bit slow work it won't take more than 30 minutes.
Here are few tips to get perfect pulao:
1. One tip never over cook rice and vegetables also.
2. Add green vegetables like peas and bell pepper in the end so that it's natural color will be retained.
3. If you are making this on special occasions, then add some more veggies like potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and even paneer.
4. If you are adding fresh peas it might take longer as compared to frozen ones. So do some intelligent guesswork of timing while adding other vegetables.
Recipe Card For Tawa Pulao
- 3 cup cooked rice (leftover rice)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas frozen
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp pav bhaji masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 lemon (2 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and saute for 10 - 15 sec.
- Then add chopped onion and saute till onion turns translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green peas. cook till it's soft.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes or till it's soft.
- Add all spices and salt.
- Now add 1/2 cup water and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped capsicum or bell pepper at this stage.
- once you reach little saucy consistency, add cooked rice, lemon juice. chopped coriander leaves.
- Give it a nice stir.
- Garnish with some more coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Serve it with plain curd or raita.
How to make tawa pulao (under 30 minutes)?
I have taken pre-cooked steamed rice. You need to cook rice separately for this recipe. You can even take left over rice for the same.
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Now add ginger garlic paste and saute for 10 - 15 sec.
Then add chopped onion and saute till onion turns translucent.
Add chopped tomatoes and green peas. cook till it's soft. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes or till it's soft.
Add all spices and salt.
Now add 1/2 cup water and simmer for 2 minutes.
Add chopped capsicum or bell pepper at this stage. Add lemon juice.
once you reach little saucy consistency, add cooked rice, chopped coriander leaves.
Give it a nice stir. Garnish with some more coriander leaves and serve hot.
Serve it with plain curd or raita.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER