This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Instant Veg Biryani | Easy Vegetable Biryani
Biryani is a popular one-pot dish in Indian Subcontinent. It has developed in Royal Kitchen of Mughal Empire.
The preparation method is different in different parts. In North India, Mughlai Biryani, Awadhi Biryani are very famous varieties. Similarly in Southern part Hyderabadi Biryani has gained fame.
Biryani is basically an one pot dish and prepared by mixing vegetables and rice, cooked in one pot.
Dum Biryani is another popular biryani with different cooking method. However this instant veg biryani is a quicker version of traditional biryani.
Pressure cook vegetables and rice together in pressure cooker with aromatic spices. To make this fragrant biryani we use biryani masala which is a special spice used to make biryani recipes only.
Difference Between Biryani & Pulao
Though almost similar, pulao is a lighter version of biryani. In pulao also vegetables are cooked with rice. but again difference of spice and cooking method makes them different.
Tips to make perfect Veg Biryani in Pressure Cooker
1 Use lots of veggies to the biryani.
2. Soak rice for 10 minutes before cooking. Use long grain or basmati rice to make biryani
3. Ratio of rice to water should be 1: 2 even if you are adding lots of vegetables, it won’t require extra water.
4. Use ghee in place of refined oil.
5. It is essential to add curd to bring out that flavor of spices.
6. Used good biryani masala or home made biryani masala.
7. Add some browned onion slice to the biryani for garnishing.
8. Add whole spices in this preparation.
Read similar posts:
Also read my best rice recipes collection here.
Some Side Dish to accompany biryani:
Raita is best accompaniment for any type of biryani. Read my best 9 types of raita recipes to accompany your biryani dishes.
Instant Veg Biryani
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup Carrots
- 1/2 cup Green Beans
- 2 Potatoes
- 2 Green Chillies
- 2 + 1 large Onions (1 sliced and fried to browns)
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 cup Curd (Hung/ Thick) (5 – 6 Tbsp)
- 1.5 tsp Salt (or as per taste)
- 2 tsp Biryani Masala
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Green Cardamom (or 1/4 tsp powder)
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp powder)
- 10 – 12 Black pepper (or 1/2 tsp powder)
- 4 – 5 Cloves
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp Corinader leaves Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Mint Leaves Chopped
- 3 cup Water
- Wash & soak rice for 20 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, star anise, black peppers and saute till they are aromatic.
- Add chopped onions and green chillies and saute till translucent. Add ginger garlic paste till they leave raw pungent smell.
- Add chopped vegetables and stir well.
- add all ground spices (except salt) and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Add hung curd and stir well.
- Simmer for 2 minutes. Add soaked rice. Add in salt, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, brown onions.
- Add water 2 1/4 cups (double amount of rice). Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Turn off gas and wait till lid opens.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves and onion browns.
- Serve hot with curd or raita.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.