This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Sabudana Khichdi Indian Fasting Recipe
Sabudana khichdi, commonly known as sago khichdi is an Indian dish made from soaked sabudana or tapioca pearls. It is a fasting food which is prepared during fasting like Navratri, Sankashti, Mahashivratri, Ekadashi, Purnima, etc, etc. This is a staple falahar food in the western part of our country. Apart from fasting food, this is easy to make a snacking option.
The main part is soaking sabudana the right way.
Soak sabudana overnight. Don’t add more water. If you are taking 1 cup water soak it in 1 cup water. If you see there is still some water left after sabudana is soaked well, then strain out excess water and air dry sabudana for 5 minutes by spreading it on a clean plate or colander.
Add powdered roasted peanuts, salt to the soaked sabudana.
This is vegan and gluten free recipe. Groundnuts and potatoes are the main ingredients apart from sabudana.
The method I’ve mentioned here is a typical Maharashtrian method of Sabudana Khichdi as I came across this dish in Maharashtra.
Is sabudana kid-friendly?
Sabudana khichdi is heavy for tummy and one serving will keep you full for 4 to 5 hours. Generally, this is served with curd or sweet curd. I don’t use some other ingredients like curry leaves, coriander leaves. But I have added here as these are allowed in falahar. You can add or skip as per your own rules for fasting days.
Sabudana is full of carbohydrates and energy and hence a great food option for toddlers and kids. My kid loves this sabudana khichdi. So when I prepare for him I skip green chilies. For toddlers, you can prepare sweet porridge from sabudana. This is full of carbohydrates and hence is a source of energy and one of the best food for kids.
Recipe Card for Sabudana Khichdi
- Dry roast the peanuts on medium flame. Remove from heat and allow them to cool. Then grind the roasted peanuts to coarse powder. You can use rolling board and pin for this.
- Soak the sabudana for 4 - 5 hours or over night. Then remove excess water with help of colander.
- Let it air dry for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt (or salt as required) and crushed peanuts to the soaked sabudana and mix them well.
- Heat 4 - 5 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. Add cumin seeds to the hot oil and let it crackle. Add chopped chillies and diced potatoes.
- If using raw potatoes then cover the pan with a lid for 5 - 7 minutes till it's cooked. Add rest 1/2 tsp salt to potatoes.
- Once potatoes are cooked properly, add the soaked sabudana and crushed peanuts and mix well.
- Add rest 1 tbsp roasted peanuts to it as well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Serve with sweet curd.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER