Sama Rice Khichdi Vrat Ki Khichdi
This Sama rice khichdi or samvat khichdi is one of the easy fasting recipes. Sama chawal is also known as barnyard millet. This is an easy and quick recipe.
Sama chawal is easy to cook and like rice it increases in size when cooked.
I have added potatoes to make this recipe more filling. You can make only rice from this millet and combine with vrat ki aloo tomato curry.
This is a very basic recipe. I have added red chilli powder, coriander powder, black pepper powder. If you don't use any spice then skip that. Add rock salt.
Also read other fasting recipes like kuttu ke pakode/ chips, kuttu aloo tikki, sabudana khichdi, sabudana kheer, sabudana vada, sama chawal kheer, kuttu ka dosa on blog. Serve them with some easy potato dishes like aloo jeera, aloo tomato, dahi aloo.
How to make sama chawal khichdi for vrat/ fasting?
This is an easy recipe and hardly takes 10 minutes for cooking.
To make this quick fasting recipe, first soak this millet in water for 5 - 10 minutes.
Then heat pressure cooker or pan. Add in ghee, cumin seeds and let that splutter. Add chopped ginger and green chillies. Saute for a minute.
Add chopped tomatoes and cook for another minute.
Add coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder. Mix well.
Add soaked rice, water as per desired consistency. Season with salt.
Cook for 2 whistles (pressure cooker) or 10 minutes (pan) or till millets are cooked well.
Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
What else I can add to my Samvat Khichdi?
If You eat whole spice, you may add green cardamom, clove or laung, cinnamon sticks.
Also you can add roasted ground peanuts, other dry fruits like cashew nuts, almonds for better and rich taste in khichdi.
Recipe Card For Sama Chawal Khichdi
Sama Chawal Khichdi
- Wash millets properly for 2 - 3 times.
- Soak in water for 10 minutes.
- In the meanwhile peel off skin and dice potatoes.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.
- When ghee is hot add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Then add in finely chopped ginger, green chillies and peanuts.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it's soft and mushy.
- Add spices and salt in the cooker and stir well.
- Add diced potatoes. saute for a minute.
- Then add in soaked millets to the cooker. Give it a nice stir.
- Add 2 - 2.5 cups of water and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 2 - 3 whistles. Turn off gas.
- Open lid when pressure released. Add coriander leaves.
- Add an extra spoon of ghee on top of it to enhance taste.
- Serve with plain curd/ dahi aloo/ aloo tomato.
PIN IT FOR LATER