Sarson Ka Saag | Sarson Da Saag Recipe
Sarson ka saag is a quintessential Punjabi dish and one of the must-try dish of chilled winters. This is an authentic winter special dish of North India. This is an one-pot saag recipe. You can make either in Instant Pot or in Pressure Cooker. Both ways this is an easy recipe (other than prepping :)) and takes less than 30 minutes.
Mustard greens or Sarson ka saag are normally available only during the winter season. So in winter, I try to make them as many times as possible. I just love all green leafy vegetables. Spinach, fenugreek, radish leaves, mustard greens, bathua or pigweed, amaranth leaves and so on all have their own flavors but they are equally delicious.
Well, green leafy vegetables are full of nutrition. They are low in fat and low in carb. Mustard leaves are full of Vitamin K, Vitamin A, Vitamin C. The high antioxidants will keep your skin healthy. So moreover for good and healthy skin, green leafy vegetables are a real boon of nature.
Benefits of Mustard Greens:
- It’s high in anti-oxidants
- Detoxifies liver and blood
- Decreases bad cholesterol
- Lowers risk of heart disease and cancer
So these are just a few of the large list why one should eat these mustard greens.
Sarson Ka Saag And Keto Diet
Well, And the good news is that this Sarson ka saag is perfect for the keto diet. Since in keto diet indefinite amount of green vegetables are allowed with some fat as well, you can definitely add this keto-friendly Sarson ka saag recipe to your diet menu.
These green vegetables are zero in carb and high in fiber, hence highly recommended in any diet. But the only thing to take care of is to reduce the amount of onion you will use for this keto Sarson ka saag recipe.
Onion is restricted in the keto diet. You can add onions up to 30gms. But you can also make this with only garlic and rest all processes will be the same. To balance the macros, you may add some extra butter to your saag.
My Sarson ka Saag is completely vegan and gluten-free. This is perfect for your keto diet as well.
How to Make Sarson Ka Saag?
Sarson ka saag is prepared by mixing some other leafy vegetables like spinach and bathua (pigweed). Normally the taste of Sarson leaves is slightly bitter. So to balance the taste, I have added spinach leaves, bathua or pigweed leaves along with mustard leaves. You can also add radish leaves, methi or fenugreek leaves to the mixed greens.
The taste of all green leaves is so divine when they are cooked together. It’s always kind of mixed saag as apart from mustard leaves or Sarson ka saag we add other green leafy vegetables to it.
While cooking this dish, the main time-consuming part was cleaning and chopping. If you will see in restaurants, the saag is normally a pureed one. But I never puree it.
So, in that case, we have to finely chop them so that there won’t be any larger chunks and they can be easily mashed with a ladle or immersion blenders. You can chop them with a food processor or chopper as well.
These greens need to be cleaned properly as they have lots of dirt and soil on leaves. So take a large vessel filled with water. Soak the leaves and leave for 2 – 3 minutes so that the dirt will settle down at the bottom. Remove them to another clean vessel. Repeat this for at least 3 times.
Sarson Ka Saag in Pressure Cooker
Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Allow it to splutter. Then add ginger garlic paste (or chopped), chopped onions, and saute till translucent.
Now add all spices and salt to the onions and saute for 10 – 15 seconds. Now add chopped leaves and a half to 1 cup water.
Close lid of pan and cook for 1-2 whistles. When the lid opens add 1 – 2 tbsp roasted gram flour to the saag. Mix well. If you want to puree it, then do that now with the help of a hand blender/ immersion blender.
Now simmer for another 3 – 5 minutes on low flame. In the end add a tempering (tadka) of cumin seeds, garlic, red chilies or powder. And your delicious Sarson ka saag is ready to serve.
Sarson ka saag is best combined with makke ki roti. It’s a heavenly combination in fact. However, I have made tandoori roti with this saag and this was also a great combination I must say. You can add variation to this authentic Sarson ka saag by adding extra paneer cubes or potato cubes.
Different Methods of Preparation of Sarson ka Saag
- There are different ways people prepare this. I have seen in many places, they boil the leaves with onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and then add tampering to it. But here I have sauteed the onion and garlic first and then added green leaves and spices.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Don’t overcook as it may discolor the greens and also result in fewer nutrients.
- You may roughly puree the cooked mixture. But I have not pureed them.
- After it’s done, add cornflour or makke ki atta to the cooked saag. This will enhance consistency. I have added roasted gram flour. you can also add whole wheat flour.
Punjabi Sarson Ka Saag | Sarson Da Saag Recipe
- 2 bunch sarson / mustard leaves
- 1 bunch palak / spinach
- 1 bunch bathua
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 – 10 garlic pods minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
Cleaning & Prepping Green leaves
- Rinse all greens thoroughly.
- Then keep it in a vessel of water and leave for 5 – 7minutes.
- This will help the dirt to settle down at the bottom of the vessel.
- Remove greens from water & wash all the leaves thoroughly 2 – 3 times. Then chop it finely.
- Once the leaves are completely clean, chop them finely.
- You can take the help of a food processor to fasten the process.
- But make sure these are finely chopped as we are not pureeing the leaves after cooking.
Cooking of Saag in Pressure Cooker
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add chopped garlic and chopped onion and saute till translucent.
- Then add all dry spices mentioned in the list above and mix well. To avoid burning of spices, add little water to it.
- Season with salt.
- Add washed chopped green leaves. Add 1 cup water and close lid of the cooker.
- Cook for 2 whistles. Then turn off gas and wait till pressure released.
- Once lid opens turn on the gas and cook on low flame.
- At this point, add roasted gram flour or cornflour. Mix well using a ladle.
- Simmer on low flame for another 5 minutes.
- In the end, if you wish, add extra tampering of chopped garlic and red chili powder with ghee.
- Serve hot with roti & extra tsp ghee on top of it.
- If you have methi, or radish leaves then add that also.
- Clean the leaves properly and wash 4 – 5 times to remove the dirt.
- If you want to puree, then chop it roughly. Otherwise chop finely.
- Add corn flour or gram flour or wheat flour to after lid opens. To avoid any lumps, mix the flour with 2 – 3 tbsp water and mix well.
- I have dry roasted gram flour before adding it to the prepared saag. Then cook on slow flame.
- This is vegan sarson ka saag recipe. If you are on Keto diet, just avoid adding lots of onion or add in limited quantity.
- If you want you can serve with 1 tsp fresh cream or extra butter for that extra richness.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate link which means if you will buy a product through the link shared here, I will get some percentage of commission at no extra cost to you.)