Gobi paratha or stuffed cauliflower flatbread is one popular flatbread dish in India. This is a vegan flatbread stuffed with cauliflower rice. It's delicious and flavorful in true senses.
This is generally a winter vegetable but nowadays these are very much available in all seasons thanks to the cold stores and technology. But the seasonal fresh vegetables are totally different from the stored ones.
Gobi Paratha - Cauliflower Flatbread
Gobi paratha is a delicious Indian flatbread that has a filling of gobi or cauliflower. To make it, grate the cauliflower and mix it with various tasty spices like cumin, turmeric, and chili powder. Stuff the mixture inside a ball of wheat dough and roll it out into a flatbread. Cook the flatbread on a hot griddle until it's crispy and golden brown.
Gobi paratha is a favorite dish in many Indian households, and you can enjoy it with yogurt, pickles, or chutneys. It's a comforting and flavorful meal that combines the goodness of vegetables with the satisfaction of bread.
How to make gobi paratha (Cauliflower Flatbreads)?
One thing to keep in mind before starting any preparation of cauliflower recipes, clean them thoroughly at least 4 - 5 times. Lastly, this is an easy process and hardly takes 30 minutes to make 8 - 10 parathas. The 3-step process is:
- Grate completely cleaned florets finely & mix with other spices to make stuffing.
- Make a soft dough of wheat flour. Roll them into circles.
- Stuff gobi mix in rolled flatbread and shallow fry in ghee/butter or refined oil.
Gobi Paratha (Cauliflower Stuffed Bread)
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt (for dough)
- water to knead dough
- 6 - 8 tbsp vegetable oil/ ghee
- 1 medium cauliflower head finely grated
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt (for stuffing)
- First clean cauliflower thoroughly and check if any bugs in it.
- Wash it under running water and clean properly.
- Otherwise divide the whole cauliflower into 5 - 6 larger florets during cleaning. T
- Then air dry for 5 minutes before grating.
- In the meanwhile prepare dough.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, salt.
- Add water slowly gradually mixing the flour together.
- Once dough is formed, knead well and make soft dough. cover
- Cover the dough and allow it to rest for 5 mins.
- Then Prepare Stuffing by mixing grated cauliflower, finely chopped onions,
- Grate the cauliflower head using a cheese grater or in a food processor.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a mixing bowl.
- Add little salt and rest it for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out excess water from it.
- Then place it in the bowl and add finely chopped onion, green chilli, coriander leaves, salt, coriander powder, red chilli powder.
- And mix it well thoroughly. Now stuffing is ready to use.
- Take out the dough and knead again for 1 minute.
- Divide it into equal-sized roundels (small ball size).
- Then roll out the balls into disc of appx. 3 cm radius with help of rolling pin. and Don't stretch too much. It should be thick so that we can stuff it properly.
- Then put 1 tbsp cauliflower stuffing on the centre of rolled circle.
- Then join the sides of the disc towards centre (as shown in picture) and press it again to make a disc.
- Now roll it to a circle with help of a rolling pin.
- Heat a griddle on high to medium flame.
- And place the rolled paratha.
- When one side is done partially flip it to the other side.
- A perfectly rolled paratha normally puffs up nicely.
- Apply or brush it with ghee or vegetable oil on the top side.
- Then again flip it and apply ghee on the other side. Flip again once or twice to cook it properly on both sides.
- It will be golden brown when completely cooked. You can see small charred patches all over.
- Also, press the edges with a spatula so that they will be equally cooked.
- Now take out the paratha and serve with pickles, or cilantro dip, or any of your favorite dips.
- Make fresh dough always for the best results.
- While adding water to flour, add it slowly and gradually while mixing them.
- The quantity of water may differ slightly depending on the type of flour used here.
- Once to add salt and spices to the cauliflower mix, don't keep it for long as it will release water.
- Don't overstuff the flatbreads. 1 - 1.5 tbsp of stuffing is enough for each bread.