This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Spinach lentils soup or Dal palak is a superfood, full of nutrition and a healthy source of vitamins and minerals. Dal Palak is vegan, gluten-free.
This is prepared by mixing two main ingredients, i.e. lentils (dal) and spinach (Palak). You can take any type of lentils for this. I have taken yellow toor dal (Yellow pigeon pea lentils) for this dish. Quantity of spinach you can adjust as per your taste.
Toor dal is a great source of protein. Spinach is the source of Iron and calcium and dietary fibers. So this is a heavenly combination and one of the healthiest dishes I have come across. This is also vegan and gluten-free.
You can make this as soup, or as a main course with rice, roti, etc. This is a great idea for a weight-loss recipe where you will get all the protein and essential nutrients that your body requires. Again spinach is low in carbohydrates.
Dal Palak/ Spinach Lentil Soup
This spinach lentil soup or spinach dal is so quick and easy-to-follow dish. You can prepare this dish on the both stovetop or in an Instant pot as well. Again this is a great way to use your leftover dal or lentils.
While making this spinach dal, you can either make them together or mix sauteed spinach with the lentils.
I love spinach so much that I try to use it in any ways in my daily diet. Try out my other spinach recipes.
Recipe Card for Spinach Lentil Soup (Stovetop + Instant Pot)
Dal Palak (Spinach Lentil Soup)
- 3/4 cup toor dal
- 2 cup water
- 2 cups spinach leaves 6 – 8 oz (finely chopped)
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1 medium onion
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil or ghree (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 – 3 dry red chillies
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 4 – 5 garlic pods
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 5 – 6 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice 1/2 lemon
Method I – Stovetop
- Wash the lentils (dal) properly and put in the pressure cooker.
- Add diced tomato and finely chopped spinach to it.
- Add turmeric powder & salt as per taste.
- Pressure-cook for 2 – 3 whistles.
- Then let it cool before opening the lid of the cooker
- Place a small pan on medium to low heat.
- Pour some ghee (clarified butter) or refined oil in it.
- Once the oil is hot add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add a pinch of hing/ asafoetida.
- Put green chilli, dry red chilli, and chopped garlic.
- Once the garlic starts to change color add coriander powder, chilli powder.
- Turn off the heat immediately to avoid burning the spices.
- Then add the tempering (tadka) in cooked palak/ spinach dal.
- And close the lid so that the flavour will be added to the dal.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with chapatti or rice.
- Pressure cook the lentils (dal) for 3 whistles.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and turmeric powder in dal while cooking.
- You can use left over dal also in this method.
- Heat 4 – 5 tsp oil in a pan or kadai. Add 1 tsp ghee for better taste.
- Add 1 tbsp cumin seeds, 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic, 2 – 3 green chilies slits, chopped onion.
- Saute till garlic turns light brown.
- If you have missed adding tomatoes or want to add some more here you can add chopped tomatoes.
- Once tomatoes are soft and tender add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and 1 tsp hing. Mix all well.
- Add finely chopped spinach leaves.
- Add little salt for spinach only as you have already added salt to the dal.
- saute for 3 -4 minutes till spinach leaves are just wilted.
- Once the spinach is cooked, add the dal or lentils to the kadai.
- Mix well and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Season with coriander leaves and a dash of lemon juice.
Method III – Instant pot Spinach Lentil Soup
- Wash the lentil (or mix of lentils) thoroughly.
- Start the instant pot on saute mode.
- Add oil to the pot.
- Once oil is hot, add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add chopped onion, green chilli, garlic, asafoetida to the pot.
- Saute for a minute till onions are translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and spinach leaves.
- Give them a nice stir.
- Then add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder.
- And stir them.
- Now add lentils and water to the pot.
- Close the lid and cancel saute mode.
- Now start the instant pot on pressure cook mode.
- Set it manually on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- After the beep, let it be on NPR for 5 minutes. Then release the rest.
- Add lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander leaves.
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.