This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Dahi Baingan Recipe | Brinjals in Curd Based Curry
This dahi baingan curry is a simple and easy dish which is made with shallow fried brinjals cooked in curd based gravy.
This is one easy eggplant dish. I make dahi baingan as a side dish. It goes well with rice or khichdi recipe. Dahi baingan can be made in two ways.
Read my flourless dahi baingan recipe here. In my earlier post of dahi baingan, curd is not cooked. Only fried brinjals and an aromatic tempering is added to the mixture of curd and fried brinjals.
You can also call that as baingan raita. There is another way to make baingan raita also. I will share my baingan raita recipe with roasted brinjals soon.
Where as this is cooked in North Indian style. In this dish we need to cook dahi and gram flour mixture just like in punjabi kadhi. So this is little thicker as compared to plain flourless ones.
This makes an excellent main course or as a side dish with khichdi or dal rice.
Recipe Card For Dahi Baingan Curry
- 250 gms eggplants/ brinjal/ baingan
- 1 cup curd
- 2 tbsp refined oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies
- 8 – 10 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp hing
- 2 tbsp gram flour or besan
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- Wash and clean brinjals.
- Slice into long pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry them till it’s soft and turns brown.
- Remove from oil once done completely.
- In the same pan add hing, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves and ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- Now add chopped onions.
- Saute till it turns translucent.
- Add gram flour and other spices and saute till gram flour is fragrant.
- Now add beaten curd and mixture of 1/2 curd water slowly and gradually.
- Keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps in gravy.
- Once it starts boiling, add fried brinjals and simmer for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
How to make dahi baingan in North Indian way?
1. Clean brinjals and wash it properly. slice them into desired shape and size.
2. Heat 3 – 4 tbsp oil in a pan. Shallow fry eggplant till it’s soft and changes color. Don’t over cook else it will be mushy.
3. Once perfectly done, remove to a clean plate.
In same pan add 2 tsp oil . add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, ginger garlic paste, curry leaves, green chillies and saute for a minute.
Now add chopped onion and saute till translucent.
Add 2 tbsp gram flour and saute till it changes color and turns slightly aromatic. It might take 4 – 5 minutes.
Now add all dry spices and mix well.
Add whisked curd and a cup of water. Let it simmer for some time.
Add salt and chopped coriander leaves.
Dahi baingan is ready to serve.
Read my other curd based recipes like Methi Palak Kadhi, Kashmiri Dum Aloo, Paneer Tikka Masala, Lauki Raita, Boondi Raita, Carrots Raita, Sweet Raita, Curd Cilantro Dip, Curd Rice, Rajasthani Gatte Ki Sabzi, Dahi Aloo, Cucumber Tomato Raita.