Daliya or bulgur wheat makes really healthy breakfast option. These are high in protein and keeps full for longer. Add lots of veggies and make a soulful meal that is vegan too.
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast food then you must try this dalia khichdi. This khichdi is rich in protein, fiber, and lot more vital nutrients from dalia (daliya) or cracked wheat and other added vegetables.
I have added green peas, carrots, green beans, cauliflower, potatoes in this khichdi. The main ingredient is dalia or bulgur cracked wheat or broken wheat in this recipe.
Normally I don't add any lentil or dal to this khichdi. But you can add dal if you want it a little thicker and nutritious. But let me tell you without adding dal also this tastes equally delicious.
Before moving ahead with the recipe for this delicious and healthy breakfast food, I would love to share few health benefits of daliya here. Read here my quinoa fried rice recipe.
What is daliya or bulgur wheat?
Daliya or dalia is basically wheat grains that are cracked or broken into small. Raw wheat grains are crushed and broken into small pieces. This process involves minimal processing that helps to keep the husk and germs of wheat kernel intact.
Those broken grains are called dalia in India. This is also known as bulgur or cracked wheat or broken wheat.
Though in many parts dalia is considered the same as bulger it's slightly different. Bulgur is parboiled and then broken whereas Dalia is completely unprocessed. When cooked dalia is a softer one but bulgur comes with a little bite to the grain. But more or less they are similar.
Is bulgur good for diabetic patients?
Dalia or bulgur wheat is an excellent food for diabetic patients. This has a low glycemic index and complex carbohydrates. So it keeps blood sugar levels under control by a slow and steady release of glucose. Hence this can be used as a substitute for white rice. In that case, bulgur wheat is an excellent substitute for rice.
Is bulgur wheat good for kids and toddlers as baby food?
Dalia is indeed a superfood for kids and toddlers (baby food). This is rich in protein, fiber, and other micronutrients. It's easily digestible and helps in proper bowel movement. It provides instant energy.
If you are preparing for kids and toddlers then reduce the chilies and chili powder. You can also puree the prepared khichdi if your baby is less than one year. You can also make sweet porridge of bulgur wheat for babies and toddlers.
How does bulgur wheat help in weight loss?
Dalia or daliya or bulgur wheat is basically prepared from whole wheat. This is a whole grain and it's rich in protein and fiber that comes from the bran or husk of the wheat grains. The whopping amount of fiber helps in maintaining a healthy digestive system. It keeps you full for longer. High protein increases the level of satiety thus reducing appetite.
How to make dalia khichdi or vegetable bulgur wheat?
Heat oil in a cooker. Add cumin seeds, ginger garlic crushed, green chiles, and saute for a minute.
Add chopped onions and saute till translucent.
Then add chopped vegetables and mix well. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
Then add all spices and stir well.
Now add washed dalia and saute for another 2 minutes.
Add water and close lid of pressure cooker.
Cook for 3 - 4 whistles. Wait till pressure release and then open the lid. Add 1 tbsp lemon juice. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Recipe Card for Daliya Khichdi or Bulgur Wheat Recipe
Daliya Khichdi | Bulgur Wheat Recipe
- 1 cup Dalia or Bulgur wheat
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup green beans
- 6 large cauliflower florets diced into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup carrots diced small
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- Heat oil in a cooker. Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add freshly crushed ginger and garlic or paste.
- Saute till it leaves raw pungent smell.
- Add green chillies and finely chopped onions.
- Saute till translucent.
- Now add chopped vegetables and saute on high flame for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Then add all spices and mix well.
- Saute for another 2 minutes. Keep stirring.
- Add dalia and mix well. Saute for a minute or two.
- Now add salt and water and close lid of cooker.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 4 - 5 whistles.
- Open lid after pressure is released.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Vegetable dalia is ready. Serve hot.
Instant Pot Method
- Start the IP on saute mode.
- Once it shows HOT, add oil.
- Add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, green chillies.
- Next add chopped onions to the pot.
- Saute for a minute till it becomes translucent.
- Now add all vegetables and stir well.
- Saute for 1 - 2 minutes stirring in between.
- Then add all spices mentioned above and mix with vegetables.
- Add 2tbsp water to deglaze the pot.
- Now add bulgur wheat or give a nice stir.
- Saute for a minute and then add water to the pot.
- Deglaze before closing the lid.
- Close the lid and seal the venting knob.
- Cancel saute mode and start on manual pressure cook mode for 3 minutes.
- Then allow for npr for 5 minutes.
- After that release rest pressure and open the lid.
- Now add finely chopped cilantro leaves and drizzle some lemon juice and give a gentle stir.
- Remove the pot from the IP to stop cooking.
- Serve hot.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
Pin it for later