Vegetable Upma | Rava Upma
This is an easy breakfast option. Mix vegetable upma is variation to plain upma (savory semolina porridge). In this upma I'm adding lots of veggies like potatoes, green peas, carrots, cauliflower, french beans etc in this version.
What is Upma?
Upma is an authentic Indian breakfast recipe. Upma is generally made with rava or semolina or sooji. Vegetable upma is one of the common breakfast option in almost every kitchen in India.
For kids this is one of the best breakfast and tiffin item as its full of nutrition. If making for diabetic patients you may skip potatoes to it.
Upma is rich in fiber and protein. And this keeps you full for longer.
Well this is one of the best breakfast options for diabetic patients. I have seen my mom preparing this for my dad who was diabetic. We grew up eating upma for breakfast. And I believe my mom makes worlds best upma.
Normally I'm not a Upma fan. And I eat upma only if it's prepared by my mumma. Now I know I ll never ever get that again. But in these years I'm just trying to replicate that. May be the magic is mom's special love for her kids n family.
What vegetables you can add to upma?
Otherwise you are free to add your choice of vegetables. But what goes best with rava or semolina is potatoes, cauliflower, peas, carrots and green beans. But you can add some more also like broccoli and bell peppers.
Can we give upma to toddlers and kids?
This is an excellent food for toddlers as well. Toddlers may not chew the vegetables. So when preparing for kids mash the boiled vegetables or grate them before adding to pan. This is an excellent food for kids.
I was making semolina dishes in 3 ways for my kid.
1. When my baby was 8 - 9 months old, I used to make this porridge but little soupy and without veggies.
2. Next step you can puree boiled veggies and mix to semolina porridge to make wholesome food for babies.
3. Make sweet porridge of semolina by adding little jaggery and half tsp to one tsp dry fruits powder.
Then around 1yrs and more, you can give them regular plain upma or this vegetable upma. But in that case chop veggies finely. Upma was my kids favorite recipe when he was around 2 yrs old.
How to make vegetable upma?
Chop all veggies, onion, tomato. Keep everything ready before starting.
Now heat one tawa or pan. Add semolina and dry roast for 2 minutes on medium heat. Stir occasionally. No need to brown it at all.
Then remove dry roasted semolina to a clean plate.
In the same pan add 3 tbsp oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dal and let it splutter.
Add chopped onion, ginger, curry leaves, tomato and other vegetables. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes on medium flame. Cover with a lid.
Then add water (1:3 ratio) and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes more.
Now add dry roasted semolina or rava to boiling water. Stir continuously to avoid any lumps.
Simmer till all water is soaked up and cover with a lid.
Turn off heat and fluff upma with fork or spoon. Serve hot.
Tips to make perfect upma
1. To get perfect fluffy upma ration of water to rava is very important. For every 1 cup rava, add 2.5 to 3 cups of water.
2. Add oil or ghee generously so that it won't stick and also will be softer and delicious.
3. If you make this dish quite often, then dry roast semolina well in advance and store in airtight container. This saves lot of time also.
4. Keep stirring while adding semolina to boiling water. Else it will form lumps and will not mix well.
5. Ratio of semolina to water should be 1 : 2.5 for plain rava upma and in case adding veggies keep it 1 : 3.
6. To add flavour, curry leaves, mustard seeds, ginger is more important ingredients. Also add some lentils (urad dal) to the tampering.
- 1 cup Rava/ Semolina
- 3 - 4 tbsp Refined Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 8 - 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chilli chopped
- 1 Carrots diced
- 1/2 cup Green Peas
- 1 Potato peeled & diced
- 3/4 tsp Salt (as per taste)
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Lemon juice (optional)
- 3 cup Water
- Take 1 cup of Rava or semolina and dry roast in a flat pan. It won’t take more than 3-4 mins. After 3 mins when it's fragrant remove from heat and transfer to a dry plate.
- Heat 3 - 4 tbsp refined oil. Once the oil is hot put mustard seeds and let them splutter. You can add a pinch of cumin seeds also with it.
- After that put lentils, curry leaf, ginger, green chilli and onion into it. Saute for a minute. Don’t over heat else onions will turn brown.
- Add sliced tomatoes. Add all chopped vegetables and saute for 5 minutes on medium heat. Cover with a lid.
- Then add 3 cups of water and get them to a boil. Add salt as required or as per taste.
- You can add a pinch of turmeric powder too if you want to give different color to it. However this is optional.
- Simmer for 5 minutes on low film.
- Once vegetables are cooked well, add roasted semolina into pan gradually & slowly. Stir continuously to avoid lumps inside.
- Let it simmer for 3 – 4 mins more & get cooked properly. Simmer till all water is soaked up.
- In the end you can add few drops of lemon and few coriander leaves.
- Remove from heat and cover with a lid for 2 - 3 minutes.
If you are looking for some healthy breakfast options, please read similar recipes like pinwheel samosa, aloo pyaz poha, aloo matar poha, gobi paratha, aloo paratha, aloo kachori, bread roll, spinach corn sandwich, cheesy potato sandwich, masala dosa sambar, sattu porridge , tomato omelette, whole wheat dosa, atte ka chila, etc on blog.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Leave a Comment (And a 5 Star Rating)