These vegan cauliflower hash browns are delicious low-carb appetizers and sides. Perfect for the keto diet as well. Shallow fry, bake, or air fry the cauliflower hash browns and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Keto Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns are delicious American breakfast dishes that are crispy on the outside and moist and soft inside. These cauliflower hash browns are low-carb and healthier alternatives to classic potato hash browns.
Hash browns are shredded and pan-fried potatoes. In classic hash browns, eggs are used for binding. but in this vegan hashbrowns, we are replacing potatoes with grated cauliflower making this a low-carb dish.
How to make vegan cauliflower hash browns?
Cauliflower Rice - Fresh homemade cauliflower rice. You just need a food processor or even a manual cheese grater.to make it at home.
Green onions - Some green onions/ scallions. You can also add some finely chopped red onion to the cauliflower rice. Substitute - onion powder
Gluten-Free Flour - Here I'm using gram flour (roasted). This gives a nice nutty flavor to the hash browns. If you are not allergic to gluten, you may add regular refined flour. You may also alter any other gluten-free flour like buckwheat flour or water chestnut flour for this recipe. You can also add a little cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
Flax eggs - Mix flax meal with water in double amounts and let it set for 10 minutes in the refrigerator
Nutritional Yeasts/ Vegan Cheese - These add a natural cheesy flavor to the dish.
Salt & Spices - Salt, crushed black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper
Instructions to make the cauliflower hash browns 3 ways:
Step 1 -Make cauliflower rice:
Clean the cauliflower head and break it into large florets. Now wash and clean properly making sure florets are clean and no bugs. Then add them to the food processor and pulse them till you get a grainy rice-like texture. Another way is just to grate the florets in a medium perforated cheese grater. It takes hardly 5 minutes in any of the methods.
Step 2 - Make Flax Eggs:
Mix a flax meal with a double amount of warm milk or water. Stir well and keep aside in the refrigerator for 10 - 15 minutes so that it will be thick and make an egg-like texture.
Step 3 - Remove excess liquid
Before you add all the ingredients, it's really important to get rid of excess liquid from cauliflower rice. So add half tsp salt and leave it for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a muslin cloth or cheesecloth. Squeeze out all excess liquid.
Step 4 - Make the cauliflower cakes
Then in a mixing bowl add all ingredients, and mix well to make a dough-like structure. Take out a small portion and shape it oval like a hash brown or any shape. Then shallow fry, bake, or air fry the hash browns. And serve with a favorite dip.
Air Fryer Cauliflower Hash Browns:
Preheat the air fryer to 400 F for 3 minutes. Now grease the basket nicely to avoid sticking the hash browns. Use perforated baking papers made specifically for air fryers only. Now place the hash brown patties in the air fryer basket. Start the air fryer at 400 F for 15 - 20 minutes. Flip it at the midway mark at 10 minutes and spray a little oil if required.
Shallow Fried Hash Browns: Heat oil in a pan. Place the patties on the pan. Don't overcrowd, make in batches of 3 to 4 maximum depending on the size of the griddle and those of the patties.
For Baking (Baked Vegan Cauliflower Hash browns): Preheat the oven to 400 F or 200 degrees C. Then grease a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place the patties and bake at high temperature for 30 - 35 minutes flipping in midways.
Read other healthy appetizers on the blog:
- Zucchini Fritters
- Broccoli Fritters
- Broccoli Tots
- Classic Tater Tots
- Vegan Potato Latkes
- Baked Vegan Chicken Nuggets
- Vegan Fritters
Some more cauliflower recipes
- Curried Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Cauliflower Potato Curry
- Vegan Cauliflower Rice Fry
- Butter Cauliflower (Vegan)
- Cauliflower Stuffed Flatbreads
Read more vegan cauliflower recipes here.
Recipe Card for Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns
Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Air Fryer (Optional) for air frying method only
- Baking Tray
- Parchment paper
- Cheese Grater Either food processor or cheese grater
- 1 large cauliflower head
- ¼ cup chickpea flour or almond flour/ coconut flour
- 1 tbsp corn starch (optional)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flax meal + 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 small red onion finely chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup spring onions (chopped) (substitute - cilantro leaves)
- ½ green chili/ jalapeno finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- Wash and clean cauliflower head and break into large florets.
- Grate with a food processor or cheese grater.
- Add a pinch of salt and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out excess water with the help of cheesecloth.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the cauliflower rice, flour, all the spices mentioned above in the list, cilantro/ spring onions, salt (if required*), flax egg, nutritional yeast.
- Mix well and make a dough-like mixture.
- Grease your palms and take a small portion of the mixture.
- Flatten it with the help of palms and shape it oval like hash browns.
Air Fryer Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Preheat the air fryer at 375 F for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Grease the basket nicely to avoid sticking the hash browns.
- Place the shaped patties in the basket.
- Start the air fryer at 400 F for 15 minutes flipping midway through.
- Spray oil on top if required.
For Shallow Frying:
- Heat oil generously in a pan or griddle.
- Place the shaped patties on pan.
- Cook on medium-low flame.
- Fry each side for 3 - 5 minutes or till it's golden brown in color.
- Don't overcrowd the pan. Cook it in batches of 3 - 4 one time.
Baked Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Preheat oven at 400 F (200C).
- Line parchment paper in a baking tray.
- Place shaped patties on the tray.
- Brush with little oil each side.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes flipping in midways at 20 minutes.
PIN IT FOR LATER
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate link which means if you will buy a product through the link shared here, I will get some percentage of commission at no extra cost to you.)