This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Cauliflower Hash Browns – in 3 ways. These vegan cauliflower hash browns are delicious low-carb appetizers and sides. Perfect for the keto diet as well. This is quick, healthy, gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free. Shallow fry, bake, or air fry the cauliflower hash browns and serve with spicy hot sauce.
Keto Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns are crispy on the outside and moist and soft inside. This is a delicious appetizer that is a hassle-free and easy recipe.
In classic hash browns, eggs are used for binding. but this is a vegan version of traditional hash browns. Yet this is just delicious and yummy. This is low in carb and hence good for the keto diet also.
What are hash browns?
Hash browns or hashed browns are popular American breakfast dishes. These are shredded and pan-fried potatoes. Also for binding, flour and egg may be used in this recipe.
Difference between classic hash browns and this vegan cauliflower hash browns?
Cauliflower hash browns are low carb and healthier alternative to classic potato hash browns. These hash browns are vegan and gluten-free. For the binding, I have used gluten-free chickpea flour and flax eggs for binding the cauliflower rice (grated/ shredded).
However, cauliflower is a great low-carb substitute for potatoes. And so this is one of the best snacks or sides.
Cauliflower Nutritional Values
Cauliflower is one of the low-carb vegetables. It has numerous health benefits as well. This is a rich source of vitamin C, K, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium. Cauliflower is considered a superfood because of its nutritional value.
Why is cauliflower a superfood?
Cauliflower is a low-carb low-fat vegetable that is perfect for a keto diet or any low-carb diet. It can be consumed raw or cooked. It’s a good source of fiber and protein. Cauliflower has 92% water in it. Hence it also helps in hydrated. Few health benefits are noted below.
- It has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial effects.
- Good source of antioxidants.
- Helps protect cells from damage.
- It helps in preventing cancer.
- Aids in weight loss in a healthy way.
- Keeps the nervous system healthy.
- Lowers the risk of liver and heart disease.
- Helps to delay neurological disorders like dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
Some more cauliflower recipes
- Curried Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Cauliflower Potato Curry
- Vegan Cauliflower Rice Fry
- Butter Cauliflower (Vegan)
- Cauliflower Stuffed Flatbreads
How to make cauliflower hash browns?
This is a simple recipe made with all ingredients that must be available in any vegan kitchen. Cauliflower no doubt is the hero ingredient. Let’s see what all ingredients are required to make this delicious vegan cauliflower hash brown.
Cauliflower Rice – I have made these cauliflower rice at home. You can get the frozen ones also from the supermarket. But to make cauliflower rice is one of the easiest tasks ever. You just need a food processor or even a manual cheese grater will do wonder in making riced cauliflower.
Gluten-Free Flour – Here I’m using gram flour (roasted). This gives a nice flavor to the hash browns. If you are not allergic to gluten, you may add regular refined flour. You may also alter for any other gluten-free flour like buckwheat flour or water chestnut flour for this recipe. You can also add little corn starch or arrowroot powder.
Flax eggs – Normally eggs are the binding agents in such fritters. But this is a vegan recipe and hence we have substituted the eggs with vegan eggs or flax eggs. Making flax eggs is easy and works equally great.
Nutritional Yeasts & Vegan Cheese – These add natural cheesy flavor to the dish. I love these two in any of my vegan fritters. I have vegan parmesan powder that I have used in this recipe.
Salt & Spices – Last but not least. These are essential to make the hashbrowns delicious. Salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper are the dry spices. Add some onion powder and garlic powder also. Otherwise, you may add finely minced onions, cilantro, green chilies to the cauliflower rice mixture.
Instructions to make the cauliflower hash browns 3 ways:
Step 1 -Make cauliflower rice:
Clean cauliflower head and break it into large florets. Now wash and clean properly making sure this is clean and no bugs. Then add them to the food processor and pulse them till you get a grainy rice-like texture. Another way, just grate the florets in a medium perforated cheese grater. It takes hardly 5 minutes in any of the methods.
Step 2 – Make Flax Eggs:
Mix flax meal with a double amount of warm milk or water. Stir well and keep aside in the refrigerator for 10 – 15 minutes so that it will be thick and makes an egg-like texture.
Step 3 – Adding the Ingredients:
Before you add all ingredients, it’s really important to get rid of excess liquid from cauliflower rice. So add half tsp salt and leave it for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a muslin cloth or cheesecloth. You may skip this step but then you have to add more flour to get a perfect consistency.
Then in a mixing bowl add all ingredients, mix well so to make a dough-like structure. Take out a small portion and shape it oval like a hash brown or any shape. Then shallow fry, bake, or air fry the cauliflower hash browns. And serve with a favorite dip.
Air Fryer Cauliflower Hash Browns:
An air fryer cooks in a similar way to a convection oven. Preheat the air fryer at 375 F for 4 – 5 minutes. Now grease the basket nicely to avoid sticking the hash browns.
Here you can also use perforated baking papers made specifically for air fryers only. But you can manage without the butter paper also. Make sure to nicely squeeze out excess moisture from the cauliflower rice so that the mixture doesn’t turn water and sticky. Then it will not at all stick to the pan.
Now place the hash brown patties in the air fryer basket. Start the air fryer at 380 F for 20 – 25 minutes. Flip it at the midway mark at 15 minutes and spray a little oil if required. If you want more crispy, cook at 400F for the last 5 minutes. Every air fryer is different. So be careful after 20 minutes mark.
Shallow Fried Hash Browns: Heat oil in a pan. Place the patties on the pan. Don’t overcrowd, make in batches of 3 to 4 maximum depending on the size of the griddle and those of patties.
For Baking (Baked Vegan Cauliflower Hash browns): Preheat oven at 400 F or 200 degrees C. Then grease a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place the patties and bake at high temperature for 30 – 35 minutes flipping in midways.
Read other healthy vegan appetizers on the blog:
- Zucchini Fritters
- Broccoli Fritters
- Broccoli Tots
- Classic Tater Tots
- Vegan Potato Latkes
- Baked Vegan Chicken Nuggets
Recipe Card for Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns
Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Wash and clean cauliflower head and break into large florets.
- Grate with a food processor or cheese grater.
- Add a pinch of salt and squeeze out with the help of cheesecloth.
- Add in the cauliflower rice, flour, chopped onion, cilantro, green chilies, garlic, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, vegan cheese.
- Mix well and make a dough-like mixture.
- Grease your palms and take a small portion of the mixture.
- Flatten it with the help of palms and shape it oval like hash browns.
Air Fryer Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Preheat the air fryer at 375 F for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Grease the basket nicely to avoid sticking the hash browns.
- Place the shaped patties in the basket.
- Start the air fryer at 380 F for 20 minutes.
- Flip the patties at around 15 minutes.
- Spray oil on top if required.
- For extra crisp, cook last 4 – 5 minutes at 400 F (200C).
- Be careful after 20 minutes mark as all air fryers are not the same.
For Shallow Frying:
- Heat oil generously in a pan or griddle.
- Place the shaped patties on pan.
- Cook on medium flame.
- Initially keep it covered with a lid for a minute so that it will get evenly cooked. After that cook it open.
- Fry each side for 3 – 5 minutes or till it's golden brown in color.
- Don't overcrowd the pan.
- Cook it in batches of 3 – 4 one time.
For Baking Cauliflower Hash Browns
- Preheat oven at 400 F (200C).
- Line parchment paper in a baking tray.
- Place shaped patties on the tray.
- Brush with little oil each side.
- Bake for 30 minutes flipping in midways.
- Serve with any dip/ any spicy dip.
PIN IT FOR LATER
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen.
(Disclosure: This post contains affiliate link which means if you will buy a product through the link shared here, I will get some percentage of commission at no extra cost to you.)