Vegan Zucchini Fritters (Gluten-free)
Vegan Zucchini Fritters are healthy appetizers that are easy and quick ones. These are also gluten-free fritters. Perfect for evening snacks, and kids friendly as well.
It’s very difficult to make kids eat green vegetables like zucchini. My kid is a fussy eater and says no to all green veggies. But it’s a great pleasure to see my kid loving these zucchini fritters.
These vegan zucchini fritters are just amazing with a blend of flavors. Just amazing. I have served these with spicy chipotle. But this will go well with any of the dips.
To make them more healthy and oil-free (less oil), you may love to bake them. But I love to shallow fry these zucchini patties as it’s little quicker than baking and can be ready in 15 – 20 minutes.
Tips to Make Perfect Crispy Zucchini Fritters
Zucchini has more water content in it. So after you grate them, add a little salt and let it rest for some time like 10 minutes. This will release the excess liquid. Place it on a napkin and squeeze out excess liquid.
If you will not squeeze out excess liquids, you will have to add more flour to get the proper consistency. This will not be like the desired taste. i.e. you will get a dominant taste of flour in fritter than the zucchini.
Here you can also add carrots, corns to your fritter as other possible variations.
Add onion, ginger-garlic paste, cilantro leaves, green chillies, spring onions, chickpeas flour, nutritional yeast, flax eggs, salt to the grated and squeezed zucchini. Mix well. Now add a tbsp olive oil to make it a little moist.
Grease your palm. Take a small ball sized batter and slightly flatten it by pressing lightly. Place the shaped patty on the hot pan. Drizzle some oil around it. If the patty is looking thicker you may press it lightly after placing on pan.
Cook each side for 3 minutes and flip. Cook till it changes to a golden brown. Don’t overcrowd the pan. Rather make it in a batch of 3 – 4 patties at a time.
Serve them hot for best taste. You can also store in the refrigerator for 2 days and reheat in microwave before serving.
Ingredients to Make Vegan Zucchini Fritters
Zucchini – I have taken green zucchini. You may also add yellow ones to this.
Chickpeas Flour – This acts as a binding agent and gives a nice texture to the fritters. This flour is great for any type of fritters indeed.
Nutritional Yeast – Gives a nice cheesy flavor to the fritters. You can also add vegan parmesan in place of nutritional yeast.
Flax egg – Flax eggs are generally a vegan substitute for eggs. This is a mixture of flax meal and hot water.
Herbs and spices – Onion finely chopped or onion flakes, ginger garlic paste or powder, salt, green chillies, spring onions or chives are perfect for this recipe. Add cilantro leaves or parsley finely chopped.
- Wash zucchini properly.
- Grate with a large hole cheese grater.
- Place the grated zucchini on a napkin.
- Add little salt and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, squeeze out excess water with the help of the napkin.
- Now place the grated zucchini in a mixing bowl.
- Make flax egg by adding 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp hot water.
- Let it rest for 2 minutes to get the slimy egg-like texture.
- Now add in mixing bowl with grated zucchini.
- Add chopped onion, spring onion, green chillies, cilantro leaves, ginger garlic paste, salt, yeast to the bowl of zucchini.
- Also, add chickpeas flour or gram flour.
- Mix all ingredients. No need to add extra water as the zucchini will moisten the mixture.
- Add a tsp olive oil and mix well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Grease your palm and take a ball sized batter and flatten slightly by pressing with fingers.
- Now place it on hot pan.
- If the patty is too thick, flatten slightly by pressing just after placing it on pan.
- Flip to another side after 2 – 3 minutes.
- Cook both sides till it's golden brown in color.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with any dip of your choice.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.