This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Vegan Zucchini Fritters are healthy appetizers that are easy and quick. These are also gluten-free fritters. Perfect for evening snacks, and kids friendly as well. You can bake or air fry the zucchini fritters too. Here I have mentioned all 3 ways of making these vegan zucchini fritters.
Vegan Zucchini Fritters (Gluten-free)
It’s very difficult to make kids eat green vegetables like zucchini. My kid is a fussy eater and says no to all green veggies. But it’s a great pleasure to see my kid loving these zucchini fritters.
These vegan zucchini fritters are just amazing with a blend of flavors. Just amazing. I have served these with spicy chipotle. But this will go well with any of the dips.
To make them more healthy and oil-free (less oil), you may love to bake them. I used to shallow fry these zucchini patties as it’s a little quicker than baking and can be ready in 15 – 20 minutes. But when I got my air-fryer, it’s like magic for me. It takes the same 15 minutes (or sometimes lesser time too) and makes the fritters healthier with a little to no oil.
Why you will love these zucchini fritters?
You will love these healthy appetizers. These are:
- easy to make
- quick- takes 15 minutes
- few ingredients – pantry staples
- healthy vegetable with lots of nutritional values
- versatile dish
- great appetizer or side dish
- healthy low oil to no oil cooking method (air fry and baked)
- vegan & gluten-free
Tips to Make Perfect Crispy Zucchini Fritters
Zucchini has more water content in it. So after you grate them, add a little salt and let it rest for some time like 10 minutes. This will release the excess liquid. Place it on a cheesecloth or muslin cloth napkin (not the paper towels since it will tear when wet.) and squeeze out excess liquid, irrespective of whatever way you make it.
If you will not squeeze out excess liquids, you will have to add more flour to get the proper consistency. This will not be like the desired taste. i.e. you will get a dominant taste of flour in fritter than the zucchini. Plus, the fritter will be soggy and will fall apart and not bind at all.
Don’t make large discs/ patties. Make smaller fritters instead. If it falls apart, that means it has more moisture in it. Add some more flour to the rest of the batter till you get desired consistency. Or add bread crumbs to the mixture. This will also make the fritters crispy.
While flipping the fritters to another side, make sure the side has been cooked properly else it may fall apart while flipping.
You can also add mashed potato which will help in proper binding. To make mashed potato, take cooked potato and grate them using the cheese grater.
How to make zucchini fritters?
Zucchini fritters are quick vegan appetizers made with few ingredients. Let us see the ingredients and 3 methods to make these healthy crispy fritters.
Zucchini, chickpea flour, flax egg, oil, onion or onion powder, garlic powder (or minced garlic), nutritional yeast, fresh herbs like cilantro leaves, spring onions. You can also add carrots, corns to your fritter as other possible variations.
Substitutes – Since this is vegan, I’m substituting eggs with flax egg. To make 1 flax egg, add 1 tsp flax meal to 2 tsp water and mix. Let it sit for 5 – 10 minutes in refrigerator. However, you can skip this if not available.
This is gluten-free as well. However, if you are not gluten sensitive, you can consider the same amount of all-purpose flour. You can also add 1 – 2 tsp cornstarch or rice flour along with the flour to make the fritters crispier.
Step 1 – Prepare Mixture of Fritter
This is an important step whatever method you use to make the fritters.
Grate the zucchini using a cheese grater. Now place the zucchini over a muslin cloth. Add little salt and let it sit for 5 minutes. This will help in releasing excess water from it.
Now squeeze out the liquid from zucchini. This step is really important.
Then in a large mixing bowl put the grated and squeezed zucchini. To this add onion, ginger-garlic paste or garlic powder, cilantro leaves, green chillies (optional), spring onions, chickpeas flour, nutritional yeast, flax eggs, salt. Mix well. Now add a tbsp olive oil to make it a little moist.
Method 1 – Shallow Fry
Grease your palm. Take a small ball-sized batter and slightly flatten it by pressing lightly. Place the shaped patty on the hot pan. Drizzle some oil around it. If the patty is looking thicker you may press it lightly after placing it on the pan.
Cook each side for 3 minutes and flip. Cook till it changes to a golden brown. Don’t overcrowd the pan. Rather make it in a batch of 3 – 4 patties at a time. Fritters are ready, remove from pan and place on paper napkin or paper towel to get rid of any excess oil.
Method 2 – Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Grease the air fryer basket with oil spray. Then grease your palm and take 2 tbsp of mixture. Make small patties by pressing lightly or with help of a cookie cutter.
Start the air fryer at 360 F for 12 minutes. Pause and flip the fritters on midways (at 8 minutes) and spray oil again. (Be careful while flipping the fritters). Cook for rest time or till cooked well. Remove once done.
Method 3 – Baked Zucchini Fritters
Preheat the oven at 400F
Line the baking tray with parchment paper. Now place the fritters on the parchment paper and spray olive oil on them.
Now bake the fritters for 30 minutes flipping them the halfways at 15 minutes. Spray some oil again on top.
Remove from the oven once done. Serve them hot for the best taste.
Can I store the leftover zucchini fritters?
You can also store it in the refrigerator for 2 days and reheat it in the microwave before serving.
Ingredients to Make Vegan Zucchini Fritters
Zucchini – I have taken green zucchini. You may also add yellow ones to this.
Chickpea Flour – This acts as a binding agent and gives a nice texture to the fritters. This flour is great for any type of fritters indeed.
Nutritional Yeast – Gives a nice cheesy flavor to the fritters. You can also add vegan parmesan in place of nutritional yeast.
Flax egg – Flax eggs are generally a vegan substitute for eggs. This is a mixture of flax meal and hot water.
Herbs and spices – Onion finely chopped or onion flakes, ginger garlic paste or powder, salt, green chillies, spring onions or chives are perfect for this recipe. Add cilantro leaves or parsley finely chopped.
Recipe Card for Vegan Zucchini Fritters
Vegan Zucchini Fritters
- Wash zucchini properly.
- Grate with a large hole cheese grater.
- Place the grated zucchini on a napkin.
- Add little salt and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, squeeze out excess water with the help of the napkin.
- Now place the grated zucchini in a mixing bowl.
- Make flax egg by adding 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp hot water.
- Let it rest for 2 minutes to get the slimy egg-like texture.
- Now add in mixing bowl with grated zucchini.
- Add chopped onion, spring onion, green chillies, cilantro leaves, ginger garlic paste, salt, yeast to the bowl of zucchini.
- Also, add chickpeas flour or gram flour.
- Mix all ingredients. No need to add extra water as the zucchini will moisten the mixture.
- Add a tsp olive oil and mix well.
Pan Fry Zucchini Fritters
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Grease your palm and take a ball sized batter and flatten slightly by pressing with fingers.
- Now place it on hot pan.
- If the patty is too thick, flatten slightly by pressing just after placing it on pan.
- Flip to another side after 2 – 3 minutes.
- Cook both sides till it's golden brown in color.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with any dip of your choice.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- Grease the air fryer basket with oil spray.
- Then grease your palm and take 2 tbsp of mixture.
- Try to make small patty by pressing lightly with palms or with help of a cookie cutter.
- Now place the shaped fritters on the air fryer basket.
- Spray some olive oil on the fritters.
- Start the air fryer at 360 F for 8 minutes.
- Pause and flip the fritters at 3 – 4 minutes and spray oil again.
- Cook for rest time or till cooked well.
- Remove once done and serve hot.
Baked Zucchini Fritters
- Preheat the oven at 400F.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Now place the fritters on the parchment paper and spray olive oil on them.
- Now bake the fritters for 30 minutes flipping them the halfways at 15 minutes.
- Spray some oil again on top.
- Remove from the oven once done. Serve them hot for the best taste.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.