Vegan Zucchini Fritters are healthy appetizers that are easy and quick. These are also gluten-free fritters. Perfect for evening snacks, and kids friendly as well. You can bake or air fry to make them healthier.
These vegan zucchini fritters are just amazing with a blend of flavors. Just amazing. This has no eggs or cheese in it. I have used gluten-free flour for binding. You can shallow fry or bake the fritters in the oven or the air fryer.
To make the perfect zucchini fritters, grate them and squeeze out excess water. Then add the flour, seasoning, and nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor and make a batter for the fritter. Pour in a spoonful of batter into a greased pan or baking tray for further cooking. Cook till both sides are equally crispy and golden brown. Serve with any of your favorite dips.
How to make zucchini fritters?
Zucchini fritters are quick vegan appetizers made with few ingredients. Let us see the ingredients and 3 methods to make these healthy crispy fritters.
Ingredients to Make Vegan Zucchini Fritters
Zucchini - I have taken green zucchini. You may also add yellow squash to this.
Chickpea Flour - This acts as a binding agent and gives a nice texture to the fritters. This flour is great for any type of fritters indeed.
Nutritional Yeast - Gives a nice cheesy flavor to the fritters. You can also add vegan parmesan in place of nutritional yeast.
Flax egg - Flax eggs are generally a vegan substitute for eggs. This is a mixture of flax meal and hot water.
Spices & Herbs - Onion powder (or finely chopped onions), garlic powder (or minced garlic), salt, and black pepper. Add cilantro leaves or parsley finely chopped. For a hot kick add 1/2 jalapeno or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Other Vegetables - You can also add carrots, and corns to your fritter as other possible variations.
Substitutes - Since these fritters are vegan, I'm substituting eggs with a flax egg. To make 1 flax egg, add 1 tsp flax meal to 2 tsp water and mix. Let it sit for 5 - 10 minutes in the refrigerator. However, you can skip this if not available.
This is gluten-free as well. However, if you are not gluten sensitive, you can consider the same amount of all-purpose flour. You can also add 1 - 2 tsp cornstarch or rice flour along with the flour to make the fritters crispier.
Step 1 - Prepare Zucchini Mixture of Fritter
This is an important step whatever method you use to make the fritters.
Grate the zucchini using a cheese grater. Now place the zucchini over a muslin cloth. Add a little salt and let it sit for 5 minutes. This will help in releasing excess water from it.
Now squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini. This step is really important for perfect fritters.
Then in a large mixing bowl put the grated and squeezed zucchini. To this add onion, ginger-garlic paste or garlic powder, cilantro leaves, green chilies (optional), spring onions, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, flax eggs, and salt. Mix well. Now add a tbsp olive oil to make it a little moist.
Method 1 - Shallow Fry Zucchini Fritters
Scoop out a spoonful of batter and place it on the greased hot pan or skillet. And flatten by pressing them lightly to the desired thickness. Drizzle some oil around it.
Cook each side for 3 minutes and flip. Cook till it changes to a golden brown. Don't overcrowd the pan. Rather make it in a batch of 3 - 4 patties at a time. When the fritters are golden brown and crispy, remove them from the pan and place them on a paper napkin or paper towel to get rid of any excess oil.
Method 2 - Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Grease the air fryer basket with oil spray. Then grease your palm and take 2 tbsp of mixture. Make small patties by pressing lightly or with the help of a cookie cutter.
Start the air fryer at 360 F for 12 minutes. Pause and flip the fritters on midways (at 8 minutes) and spray oil again. (Be careful while flipping the fritters). Cook for rest time or till cooked well. Remove once done.
Method 3 - Baked Zucchini Fritters
Preheat the oven to 400F. Line the baking tray with parchment paper. Now place the fritters on the parchment paper and spray olive oil on them. Now bake the fritters for 30 minutes flipping them halfway at 15 minutes. Remove from the oven once done. Serve them hot for the best taste.
Tips to Make Perfect Crispy Zucchini Fritters
- Take out extra water as much as possible. Zucchini has more water content in it. Squeeze out excess liquid, irrespective of whatever way you make it.
- If you do not squeeze out excess liquids, you will have to add more flour to get the proper consistency. This will not be like the desired taste. i.e. you will get a dominant taste of flour in the fritter than the zucchini. Plus, the fritter will be soggy and will fall apart and not bind at all.
- Don't make large discs/ patties. Make smaller fritters instead.
- If it falls apart, that means it has more moisture in it. Add some more flour to the rest of the batter till you get the desired consistency. Or add bread crumbs to the mixture. This will also make the fritters crispy.
- While flipping the fritters to another side, make sure the side has been cooked properly else it may fall apart while flipping.
Can I store the leftover zucchini fritters?
You can also store it in the refrigerator for 2 days and reheat it in the microwave before serving.
Recipe For Vegan Zucchini Fritters
Vegan Zucchini Fritters
- Wash zucchini properly.
- Grate with a large hole cheese grater.
- Place the grated zucchini on a napkin.
- Add little salt and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, squeeze out excess water with the help of the napkin.
- Now place the grated zucchini in a mixing bowl.
- Make flax egg by adding 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp hot water.
- Let it rest for 2 minutes to get the slimy egg-like texture.
- Now add in mixing bowl with grated zucchini.
- Add chopped onion, spring onion, green chillies, cilantro leaves, ginger garlic paste, salt, yeast to the bowl of zucchini.
- Also, add chickpeas flour or gram flour.
- Mix all ingredients. No need to add extra water as the zucchini will moisten the mixture.
- Add a tsp olive oil and mix well.
Pan Fry Zucchini Fritters
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Grease your palm and take a ball sized batter and flatten slightly by pressing with fingers.
- Now place it on hot pan.
- If the patty is too thick, flatten slightly by pressing just after placing it on pan.
- Flip to another side after 2 - 3 minutes.
- Cook both sides till it's golden brown in color.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with any dip of your choice.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- Grease the air fryer basket with oil spray.
- Then grease your palm and take 2 tbsp of mixture.
- Try to make small patty by pressing lightly with palms or with help of a cookie cutter.
- Now place the shaped fritters on the air fryer basket.
- Spray some olive oil on the fritters.
- Start the air fryer at 360 F for 8 minutes.
- Pause and flip the fritters at 3 - 4 minutes and spray oil again.
- Cook for rest time or till cooked well.
- Remove once done and serve hot.
Baked Zucchini Fritters
- Preheat the oven at 400F.
- Line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Now place the fritters on the parchment paper and spray olive oil on them.
- Now bake the fritters for 30 minutes flipping them the halfways at 15 minutes.
- Spray some oil again on top.
- Remove from the oven once done. Serve them hot for the best taste.