This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Air fryer zucchini fritters – step by step instructions and extra tips to make perfect zucchini fritters. This recipe is eggless, dairy-free, gluten-free too.
Read my most popular zucchini fritters recipe. To make the fritters healthier, an air fryer is the best option. You can bake the fritters as well. But with my air-fryer, I love to make my fritters in it rather than heating up the whole room to get healthy and low-fat fritters. It takes less than 15 minutes. These are kids friendly also
Air fryer zucchini fritters are so much easier and also you don’t have to wait for long. If you have a large size you can easily make 7 – 8 patties in a batch easily. I can place 6 -7 in a batch. So if you are making in large quantity, you can make in multiple batches.
The air fryer cooks in a similar way to that of a convection oven. But because of its compact size, it cooks food quicker than the oven. Also, it doesn’t heat up the whole room while cooking. So definitely a saver during hot summers. You can enjoy hot baked food in summer without heating up the whole place. Read more air fryer recipes here.
Reasons to like these zucchini fritters –
You will love these fritters, perfect for a lazy Sunday breakfast or as vegan appetizers at your party. These are delicious. You will love them because these are –
- Delicious, yummy
- Easy & quick, takes less than 15 minutes
- Versatile dish
- No fancy ingredients
- Plant-based (vegan), Gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free
- Perfect appetizer and snack
- Can be baked or air fried
- Healthy and nutritious
How to make zucchini fritters in the air fryer?
Zucchini or courgette – 1 large
Other vegetables – You can also add some shredded carrots, cabbage, onions, scallions, peas, corn, etc.
Flour – here I’m taking chickpea flour for a gluten-free version. Otherwise, you can also take all-purpose flour.
Flax meal – to make a flax egg. Mix 1 tsp flax meal with 2 tsp water and mix well. Keep it aside in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. However, you can skip this if not available.
Spices – garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper
Oil – Spray or brush
Squeeze Out Excess Water from Zucchini –
Grate the zucchini using a cheese grater. Now place the zucchini over a muslin cloth or cotton napkin. Add 1tsp salt and let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes. This will help in releasing excess water from it. Now squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini using a muslin cloth. This step is really important for perfectly cooked zucchini fritters.
Prepare the mixture of fritter –
In a mixing bowl, add squeezed zucchini, onions, green onions, other vegetables if any, spices, salt if needed (already added for releasing water). Mix all ingredients nicely. Make sure the mixture is not too wet.
Air Fry the Fritters –
Preheat the air fryer at 400 F or 200 C for 4 minutes. Now place perforated parchment paper and place the shaped fritters on the parchment paper. Spray little oil on the fritters. Keep it inside the air fryer. Start air fryer at 360 F or 180 C for 8 minutes. After that remove the basket and flip the cakes. And again start the air fryer at 375 F or 190 C for 4 minutes. spray little oil. This will make the fritters brown and crispy. keep an eye after 10 minutes.
Why am I making it at two different temperatures?? The answer is if we will cook at a higher temperature from the beginning, it will not cook the center properly as the outer layer will get cooked n brown first. I have tested this a few times. If you have made it differently please share in the comments below.
Also the air fryers cook differently. So be careful after 10 minutes mark depending the size and thickness of the fritters.
Tips to make perfect Air Fryer Zucchini fritters –
You can also use air fryer parchment papers or skip. But if the fritters are even a little wet and sticky, then they will stick to the base. So better to use parchment paper. Make sure they are perforated and specifically made for air fryer use only.
Another way – Keep some corn starch or brown bread crumbs on a plate and roll the zucchini cakes over it so that the surface is coated and not stick to the pan. I do that for most of my vegetable kababs.
Squeeze out excess liquid from the fritters thoroughly. Else it will be difficult to make perfect and crispy zucchini fritters. Fritters will be too runny and soggy. So this is the most important step in making these zucchini fritters perfect.
Add salt to the shredded zucchini and let it sit for sometime. Salting helps in releasing excess water from it. Squeeze out hard using a kitchen towel/ muslin cloth. If you are adding salt before squeezing out extra moisture, no need to add extra salt while adding flour and spices.
Try not to add more flour to the fritters. Add only that much to hold shapes. Once shaped the fritters, place immediately into the air fryer.
If you are not vegan and okay with egg, add 1 egg to the zucchini mixture. Egg will help in binding.
Recipe Card for Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- 1 large zucchini or 2 medium/ shredded
- 1 medium onion shredded
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour or refined flour
- 1 tsp rice flour or corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 fresh garlic pods minced
- 1 tsp onion powder or onion flakes
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese (if not vegan)
- 2 tbsp oil to grease the pan and spray
- Grate the zucchini using a cheese grater.
- Now place the zucchini over a muslin cloth or cotton napkin.
- Add 1tsp salt and mix.
- Let it sit for 15 – 20 minutes. This will help in releasing excess water from it.
- Now squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini using a muslin cloth.
- In a mixing bowl, add squeezed zucchini, onions, green onions, spices, salt if needed (already added for releasing water), and nutritional yeast (optional).
- Mix all ingredients nicely. Make sure the mixture is not too wet.
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F or 200 C for 4 minutes.
- Now place perforated parchment paper and place the shaped fritters on the parchment paper.
- Spray little oil on the fritters. Keep it inside the air fryer.
- Start air fryer at 360 F or 180 C for 8 minutes.
- After that remove the basket and flip the cakes.
- And again start the air fryer at 375 F or 190 C for 4 minutes.
- Spray little oil on the patties or brush. This will make the fritters brown and crispy.
- keep an eye after 10 minutes.
- Remove once perfectly cooked and crispy from outside.
- Serve hot with any dips or sauces.
PIN IT FOR LATER