Air fryer zucchini fritters - step by step instructions and extra tips to make perfect zucchini fritters. This recipe is eggless, dairy-free, gluten-free too.
Read my most popular zucchini fritters recipe. Zucchini fritters are easy and quick snacks. These are low carb and low-calorie snacks too. Kids will absolutely love this. This is a huge hit in my family. My fussy-eating kid loves these zucchini fritters.
To make the fritters healthier, the air fryer is the best option. You can bake the fritters as well. But with my air-fryer, I love to make my fritters in it rather than heating up the whole room to get healthy and low-fat fritters. It takes less than 15 minutes.
Air fryer zucchini fritters
Air fryer zucchini fritters are so much easier and also you don't have to wait for long. If you have a large size zucchini, you can easily make 7 - 8 patties in a batch easily. I can place 6 -7 in a batch in the basket of my air fryer. So if you are making them in large quantities, you can always prepare them in multiple batches.
The air fryer cooks in a similar way to a convection oven. But because of its compact size, it cooks food quicker than the oven. Also, it doesn't heat up the whole room while cooking. So definitely a saver during hot summers. You can enjoy hot baked food in summer without heating up the whole place. Read more air fryer recipes here.
These air fryer zucchini fritters are -
You will love these fritters, perfect for a lazy Sunday breakfast or as vegan appetizers at your party. These are delicious. You will love them because these are -
- Delicious, yummy
- Easy & quick, takes less than 15 minutes
- Versatile snacks
- No fancy ingredients
- Plant-based (vegan), Gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free
- Perfect appetizer and snack
- Can be baked or air fried
- Healthy and nutritious
How to make zucchini fritters in the air fryer?
Zucchini or courgette - 1 large or 2 medium
Other vegetables - You can also add some shredded carrots, cabbage, onions, scallions, peas, corn, etc.
Flour - here I'm taking chickpea flour for a gluten-free version. Otherwise, you can also take all-purpose flour.
Flax meal - to make a flax egg. Mix 1 tsp flax meal with 2 tsp water and mix well. Keep it aside in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. However, you can skip this if not available.
Spices - garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper
Oil - Spray or brush
Squeeze Out Excess Water from Zucchini -
Grate the zucchini using a cheese grater. Now place the zucchini over a muslin cloth or cotton napkin. Add 1tsp salt to the grated zucchini and let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes. This will help in releasing excess water from it. Now squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini using a muslin cloth. This step is really important for perfectly cooked and crispy zucchini fritters.
Prepare the mixture of fritter -
In a mixing bowl, add squeezed zucchini, onions, green onions, other vegetables if any, spices, salt if needed (already added for releasing water), flour. Mix all ingredients nicely. Make sure the mixture is not too wet.
Shape the Zuccini Fritters
Next, take out a scoopful of the mixture and shape them into small discs, and place them on parchment paper. Repeat and make 6 - 7 discs if you have a basket-type air fryer since it can accommodate this much only. Don't overcrowd the basket and make sure to arrange it in a single layer only.
Air Fry the Fritters -
Preheat the air fryer at 360 F or 180 C for 4 minutes.
Now place perforated parchment paper and place the shaped fritters on the parchment paper. Spray little oil on the fritters. Place the basket inside the air fryer.
- Start the air fryer at 360 F or 180 C for 8 minutes. After that remove the basket and flip the cakes/ fritters.
- Now increase the temperature to 375 F or 190 C for last 4 minutes. Spray little more oil. This will make the fritters brown and crispy.
- Keep an eye on the air fryer after 10 minutes mark is done since all air fryers are different and timing may vary by 2 - 4 minutes.
Why air frying at two different temperatures?
If we will cook at a higher temperature from the beginning, it will not cook the center properly as the outer layer will get cooked n brown first. I have tested this a few times.
Otherwise, you can also air fry them at 360 F (180C) for 12 - 14 minutes till you get the perfectly crispy exterior.
Also, the air fryers cook differently. So be careful after 10 minutes mark depending on the size and thickness of the fritters.
Tips to make perfect Air Fryer Zucchini fritters -
You can also use air fryer parchment papers or skip. But if the fritters are even a little wet and sticky, then they will stick to the base. So better to use parchment paper. Make sure the parchment papers are perforated and specifically made for air fryer use only.
Another way is to coat with bread crumbs - Keep some corn starch or brown bread crumbs on a plate and roll the zucchini cakes over it so that the surface is coated and does not stick to the pan. I do that for most of my vegetable kababs.
Squeeze out excess liquid from the zucchini thoroughly. Else it will be difficult to make perfect and crispy zucchini fritters. Fritters will be too runny and soggy. So this is the most important step in making these zucchini fritters perfect.
Add salt to the shredded zucchini and let it sit for some time. Salting helps in releasing excess water from it. Squeeze out hard using a kitchen towel/ muslin cloth. If you are adding salt before squeezing out extra moisture, no need to add extra salt while adding flour and spices.
Try not to add more flour to the fritters. Add only that much flour needed to hold shapes.
If you are not vegan and okay with eggs, add 1 egg to the zucchini mixture. Eggs will help in binding.
Why my fritters turn soggy and not crispy?
In order to make the fritters crispy, you need to squeeze out all excess liquid from the grated zucchini. So salting is an important step to take out all the liquid possibly. Otherwise, the fritter will not bind properly and becomes soggy.
Also while air frying, don't cook them at a higher temperature. This will result in overcooked outside with an undercooked center. 360F is the temperature for even cooking.
How to serve the zucchini fritters?
Zucchini fritters are great appetizers. Serve them with any dip of your choice. I love chipotle crema or yum yum sauce for these fritters. You can also serve them with simple sour cream or tzatziki.
For an instant dip, take mayonnaise 1 cup, hot sauce 2 - 4 tbsp (depending on how spicy you need), garlic powder 1/2 tsp, honey/ maple syrup 1 tsp, 1 tsp fresh chopped parsley. Mix them thoroughly.
How to store zucchini fritters?
Store the leftover zucchini fritters in an air-tight box in the refrigerator for 2 - 3 days. To reheat, place them back in the air fryer and start the air fryer at 360F for 1 - 2 minutes or until they are heated enough.
Recipe - Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
- Muslin cloth
- 1 large zucchini or 2 medium/ shredded
- 1 medium onion shredded
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour or refined flour/ all purpose flour
- 1 tsp rice flour or corn starch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 2 fresh garlic pods minced
- 1 tsp onion powder or onion flakes
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese (if not vegan)
- 2 tbsp oil to grease the pan and spray
- Grate the zucchini using a cheese grater.
- Now place the zucchini over a muslin cloth or cotton napkin.
- Add 1tsp salt and mix.
- Let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes. This will help in releasing excess water from it.
- Now squeeze out the liquid from the zucchini using a muslin cloth.
- In a mixing bowl, add squeezed zucchini, onions, green onions, flour, corn starch, spices, salt if needed (already added for releasing water), and nutritional yeast (vegan)/ parmesan cheese (non-vegan) (both optional).
- Mix all ingredients nicely. Make sure the mixture is not too wet.
- Next, take out a scoopful of the mixture and shape them into small discs, and place them on parchment paper.
- Repeat and make 6 - 7 discs if you have a basket-type air fryer since it can accommodate this much only.
- Don't overcrowd the basket and make sure to arrange in a single layer only.
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F or 200 C for 4 minutes.
- Now place perforated parchment paper.
- And place the shaped fritters on the parchment paper.
- Spray little oil on the fritters. Keep it inside the air fryer.
- Start air fryer at 360 F or 180 C for 8 minutes.
- After that remove the basket and flip the cakes.
- And again start the air fryer at 375 F or 190 C for 4 minutes.
- Spray little oil on the patties or brush. This will make the fritters brown and crispy.
- keep an eye after 10 minutes.
- Remove once perfectly cooked and crispy from outside.
- Serve hot with any dips or sauces.
If you like the recipes and want to stay updated, subscribe via email. Also, I would request you to like and share my Facebook Page. Follow My Dainty Kitchen on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Is it necessary to use the 3 different flours?
I have used only chickpea flour and as a substitute for this, you can use refined flour. Mentioned the same in instructions.