This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Potato tacos are also known as Tacos de papa. These are really delicious yet easy Mexican Tacos with roasted potatoes. These are vegan tacos too
You can prepare the potato tacos ahead of time and it’s such an easy recipe that you can make in just 15 minutes. These are some of the best meatless tacos and much loved as well. This is one of the popular vegan meals you will love to enjoy. At times these are fried and made crispy. But these tacos are really soft and soulful. Read my buffalo cauliflower tacos with yum yum sauce.
If you are looking for some delicious vegan tacos or vegan meals for dinner, then these two (buffalo cauliflower tacos and potato tacos) are my favorites that are easy, quick, loaded with flavors. You must try them.
Reasons you will love these potato tacos –
- So easy to make – no preparation required
- Takes less than 20 minutes
- Plant-based and vegan
- Can be customized as preference
- Make roasted potatoes quickly in air fryers in place of oven.
Can I prepare the potato tacos in advance?
This is an excellent recipe for meal prep. You can prepare the potatoes, slaw, crema well in advance. They stay good for up to 1 week if stored properly. Refrigerate them separately in airtight box.
Don’t add salt to the chopped salad or slaw or cabbage while storing. Else it will release water and makes soggy without crunchy bites.
Heat up the roasted potatoes for 4 – 5 minutes and you are all set to serve the tacos.
How to make potato tacos (tacos de papa)?
To make these tacos you will need –
Tortillas – I prefer soft flour tortillas. You can also use taco shells.
Potatoes – Yukon gold or red potatoes or baby potatoes or any potatoes. You can also use russet potatoes but you have to peel the skin.
For roasted potatoes – salt, garlic powder, cumin powder, paprika, olive oil. You can also use taco seasoning to season these potatoes.
Salsa or Pico de Gallo – tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, lots of cilantro leaves
Slaw – red cabbage or lettuce, sliced onions, lime juice, fresh cilantro leaves
Any extra toppings of choice – here I have taken cooked beans. You can choose your own like avocados, mangoes, corn, beans, and whatever you feel like.
Chipotle Crema – You can use store-bought sauce or make your own homemade. For homemade chipotle crema you need – vegan mayo, 1 chipotle pepper from a can of adobo sauce or 2 tsp chili juice from the can, garlic, lime juice, maple syrup, salt, and black pepper.
Step – 1 – Roasted potatoes – In an oven and air fryer
You can make roasted potatoes in the oven or in an air fryer. Preheat the oven at 450 F. If making it in an air fryer, then preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 5 minutes.
In the meanwhile, wash and clean the potatoes nicely if not taking off the skin. Then, dice the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl. Rub oil and spices to the potatoes nicely.
In an oven –
Spread them on the sheet pan or baking tray lined with parchment paper. And place in the oven for 20 minutes. Many ovens have the maximum setting for temperature is at 400 F (200C). For that, you need to bake the potatoes for a good 30 minutes.
Approximate time and temperature setting to try in an oven and an air fryer –
- 450 F (230 C) Temp – For 20 minutes in the oven
- 400F (200 C)Temp – For 30 minutes in the oven
- 400 F (200 C) Temp – For 10 – 12 minutes in the air fryer
- 375 F (190 C) Temp – For 15 – 16 minutes in the air fryer
In Air Fryer
I have a full recipe of air fryer roasted potatoes. You can check that here also.
Place the seasoned potatoes inside the air fryer tray or basket. Now start the air fryer at 400 F or 200C for 12 – 15 minutes. Remove and toss them in the mid ways at around 6 minutes mark. However, it’s not essential as potatoes get equal heat.
If you need more crispy potatoes, increase the temperature for 2 minutes more. Try not to overload the basket for even and faster cooking and make in batches if making for a large crowd.
Then remove the potatoes and transfer to a bowl.
Step – 2 – Prepare the slaw and pico de gallo
Shred the cabbage nicely and thin. You can take red cabbage, green cabbage, lettuce, or simply a slaw mix there. If making for immediate serving, then add salt and lime juice to the slaw. You can prep ahead of time and refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week. Chop and prepare salsa or pico de gallo.
Step – 3 – Prepare the Chipotle Crema
In a food processor, add all ingredients for crema and pulse till all mixed nicely making a smooth creamy paste.
Step – 4 – Assemble the potato tacos
I’m using soft flour tortillas here. You can use corn tortillas for gluten-free. Or use taco shells as per choice.
Heat up the tortillas on a skillet or using a tong under the direct flame until little patchy.
Now on the tortilla arrange the layers of potatoes, salsa or pico de gallo, cabbage slaw/ lettuce, chopped cilantro, any extra toppings of choice, and on top the chipotle crema. You can also use other crema of your choice like cilantro-lime crema or yum yum sauce etc.
Sprinkle lots of fresh cilantro leaves and serve them. It’s so good in taste, I make them so often. It’s kids friendly also.
Recipe card for potato tacos (Tacos de Papa)
Potato Tacos (Tacos de Papa)
- Mixing bowls
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 lb baby potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning mix or salt, paprika, cumin powder, garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cabbage red or green or lettuce
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
Salsa or pico de gallo
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 chipotle pepper from can of adobo sauce (less or more as per taste and how spicy you need)
- 1 garlic
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup or agave
- salt to taste
- cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup cooked beans or any extra toppings of choice – optional
Make Roasted Potatoes
- Clean and dice potatoes into bite sized pieces.
- Place them in a mixing bowl.
- Add all spices and oil to the potatoes and mix well.
- Preheat the oven at 450 F.
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray or sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake it for 25 – 30 minutes till the edges are crispy.
- Remove once done.
In an air fryer
- Preheat the air fryer at 400 F for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Place the seasoned potatoes in the air fryer basket.
- Set timer for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Toss them at 6 minutes mark.
- Remove once the potatoes are cooked nice and crispy.
- Shred the cabbage and red onions.
- Place them in a mixing bowl and add lime juice, salt.
- Stir them keep aside for further use.
Prepare salsa or pico de gallo
- Chop tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro leaves finely.
- Season with salt, pepper, and make your salsa pico de gallo
- Heat the tortillas on a skillet or with help of a tong under the direct flame.
Prepare Chipotle Crema
- In a food processor, add the ingredients mentioned above in the list above under Chipotle crema.
- Blend all to a smooth puree.
- Store this in a glass jar and can refrigerate for 2 – 3 weeks.
Assemble the ingredients
- Place the tacos and layer it with the cabbage slaw, salsa, rosted potatoes, some cooked beans,
- Drizzle the crema along with some fresh cilantro leaves.
- Potato tacos are ready.
PIN IT FOR LATER