Vegan Butter cauliflower is a rich creamy curry made with roasted cauliflower, coconut cream, and lots of spices. This recipe is inspired by Indian butter chicken, but with cauliflower. So another delicious, healthy, and flavorful rich vegan curry Indian Butter Cauliflower Recipe for your main course menu.
This just tastes like the same but a vegan version of butter chicken. I have also made vegan butter chicken with tofu. I will be publishing that soon. However, this vegan butter chicken cauliflower is heavenly delicious too.
In this recipe, I’ve roasted my cauliflower for good 20 minutes which enhanced the flavor. You can directly also add your cauliflower to the butter masala curry. But in my experience, the roasted cauliflower in this curry tastes better.
Again this curry is loaded with lots of flavorful spices that make the curry so heavenly delicious. So little bit of preparation and a delicious vegan butter cauliflower is ready.
What is butter cauliflower?
Butter cauliflower is basically an Indian curry. This is also known as gobi Makhani. Makhani is a rich gravy made with lots of butter and cream and rich ingredients like cashew nuts, etc. These vegetarian makhani recipes are inspired by Authentic Indian Butter Chicken or Murg Makhani. In this rich, creamy gravy, you can add either paneer or cauliflower for the vegetarian version.
Since this is vegan, we will be avoiding dairy products like paneer, & heavy cream, etc. But these roasted cauliflower tastes equally great. You can also make this vegan butter chicken with roasted tofu or baked tofu. The richness of gravy comes from coconut cream and lots of cashew nuts also. If you are allergic to nuts, then skip that.
How to Make Butter Cauliflower?
Ingredients & Preparation:
Cauliflower Head – Take a large head. Clean and wash 3 /4 times. Pat dry with a kitchen towel. Now cut into bite-sized florets. If florets are large, cut into 2 – 3 pieces.
Coconut Milk – This will make the curry thicker and creamier. We will use half of the cream/ milk to marinate the florets.
Marination Mix – Keep it simple with salt, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Add in coconut milk or cream.
Butter Masala Gravy- Vegan butter/ olive oil, whole spices (bay leaf, clove, cardamom, black pepper, cinnamon), ground spices (coriander, red chili powder/ paprika, cumin powder, turmeric powder), salt, onion, tomatoes, 1/4 cup cashew nuts (or 2 tbsp cashew paste), and coconut milk.
This is an easy 2-step recipe and takes less than 20 minutes to make the rich creamy gravy.
Step – 1 : Make Roasted Cauliflower
Make a marination mixture. Add into chopped cauliflower. Leave it for 20 minutes to marinate. Then spread the florets on a baking tray.. bake for 20 minutes at 350 – 400 degrees.
Step – 2 : Make Gravy
Heat a pan. Add butter/ oil. Put in whole spices and saute for 15 – 20 seconds or till fragrant. Next add chopped onion, ginger-garlic (paste/ minced), and saute till translucent. Add ground spices and give it a nice stir. Now add chopped tomatoes and saute till softy and releases oil.
Once done puree the cooked masala and transfer to pot again. Now add the rest coconut milk and cashew paste. Add roasted cauliflower and simmer for 5 minutes more. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
More Indian vegan curry recipes here:
Recipe Card for Vegan Butter Cauliflower in Indian Style
Vegan Butter Cauliflower (Vegan Butter Chicken)
- 1 large cauliflower head
- 1 can coconut milk (240ml)
- 2 – 3 tbsp vegan butter or ghee (for vegetarian)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 clove
- 4 cardamom
- 1/2 inch cinnamon
- 5 – 6 black pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 3 – 4 medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 medium tomato roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste 4 garlic pods + 1/2 inch ginger
- Take a large head cauliflower.
- Clean and wash 3 /4 times.
- Pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Now cut into bite-sized florets.
- If florets are large, cut into 2 – 3 pieces.
- In a bowl take 1/2 can coconut milk.
- Add salt, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Add into chopped cauliflower.
- Leave it for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Then spread the florets on a baking tray..
- Bake for 20 minutes at 375 – 400 degrees
Maning Curry Gravy
- Heat a pan. Add butter/ oil.
- Put in whole spices and saute for 15 – 20 seconds or till fragrant.
- Add chopped onion, ginger garlic (paste/ minced)
- Saute till translucent.
- Add ground spices and give it a nice stir.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and saute till softy and releases oil.
- Once cooked puree the cooked masala using blender.
- Transfer the puree to pot/ pan again.
- Add 1/2 – 3/4 cup water and bring it to simmer.
- Now add rest of the coconut milk.
- Add roasted coconut and simmer for 5 – 7 minutes more.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa
PIN IT FOR LATER