Restaurant Style Cauliflower Tikka Masala
Tikka recipes are my all-time favorite. Cauliflower tikka masala or paneer tikka masala or mushroom tikka masala all are made in a similar way. The tikka marination is the main process to make the perfect restaurant-style tikka masala.
Cauliflower is one of the low carb and healthy vegetables. This vegetable is recommended for the keto diet also.
Read my other cauliflower recipes on blog.
- Cauliflower Fried Rice (vegan, gluten-free)
- Cauliflower Stuffed Flat Bread (Vegan)
- Gobi Manchurian (vegan)
- Cauliflower Schezwan Fried Rice (vegan)
- Aloo Gobi Masala (Dry) (vegan, gluten-free)
- Keto Stir-fried vegetables (vegan, gluten-free)
Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable I must say. You add it to any dish, I’ll enhance the taste of the dish. Normally this is widely available in winters in India. But nowadays you may get them all season. But the fresh aroma is what you will get in seasonal ones.
What is tikka masala?
Tikka masala is an Authentic Indian curry recipe made with lots of aromatic spices. The preparation method is a little bit different than regular curry.
This is typical curry preparation of North India and very popular in street-side vendors or dhabas. If you ever travel via road in the north like Panjab, Chandigarh, and all Northern Indian in fact, tikka masala is a popular dish like dal makhani and dal tadka. This goes well with tandoori roti or naan of dhaba.
What is tikka?
Tikka is a grilled item (vegetable or paneer) that is soaked in a marination mixture. Basic tikka marinade is a mixture of spices and hung curd. For the binding, we use roasted gram flour.
The formula of perfect tikka marinade mixture:
Hung curd + ginger garlic paste + red chilli powder (paprika) + coriander powder + cumin powder + turmeric powder + garam masala + kasuri methi (dried fenugreek) + ajwain+ chat masala + black salt + regular salt + lemon juice + mustard oil + roasted gram flour ( for binding )
I know the list of spices is quite a long list but that brings in that unique flavor.
How can I make Vegan Cauliflower Tikka Masala?
Yes even if you are vegan you can make this curry into vegan. Cauliflower is one of the best for vegan and keto diet as well. But here to make the tikka masala vegan, you need to replace hung curd with vegan dairy-free curd. Vegan curd is available in any Indian supermarket.
There is another good option of vegan tikka masala where you can take mushroom and use vegan curd and make Mushroom Tikka Masala.
Also, you can make vegan paneer tikka masala by replacing paneer with vegan paneer i.e. tofu. And of course plain curd with vegan curd.
Recipe Card for Cauliflower Tikka Masala
Cauliflower Tikka Masala
- 1 large cauliflower head
- 1 onion cut into larger cubes
- 1 bell pepper diced into cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup hung curd
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chat masala
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- 1/2 tsp regular salt
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 3 tbsp roasted gram flour
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp kasuri methi powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Clean and cut cauliflower into little larger chunks. Parboil them for 2 – 3 minutes. By this, it will be a little softer and will get cooked easily.
- Cool it completely before adding to the marinade.
- Now in a mixing bowl add hung curd and all spices mentioned in the ingredients list. Mix them well and prepare the marination mixture.
- Add parboiled cauliflower, bell peppers, onion chunks and marinate for 30 – 45 minutes minimum.
- After 30 – 45 minutes heat 4 -6 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Now take out coated veggies and shallow fry them in batches. make sure all sides are equally cooked.
- Once they turn golden brown remove from pan and keep aside. Cauliflower tikka is ready.
- You can also use a skewer to stalk the vegetables and roast them in on pan or in oven.
Prepare Tikka Masala Gravy
- Soak 10 cashew nuts in hot water.
- after 30 minutes put it in a blender along with chopped tomatoes.
- Blend it to a smooth puree.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to the same pan.
- Add chopped onion and finely chopped ginger garlic and saute till translucent.
- Now add pureed tomato and cashews.
- Simmer till it's cooked well and starts leaving oil on sides.
- Now add all dry spices mentioned above (except kasuri methi).
- Mix it well and add little water or as required.
- Don't add much water as the gravy should be thicker in tikka masala.
- Add shallow fried veggies and left out marination mixture to the gravy.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then add roasted and crushed kasuri methi and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Simmer for another minute or two.
- Now turn off heat and cover for 5 minutes before serving.
How to make cauliflower tikka masala in restaurant-style?
I. Prepare cauliflower tikka
Clean and cut cauliflower into little larger chunks. Parboil them for 4 – 5 minutes. By this, it will be a little softer and will get cooked easily.
Now prepare the marination mixture(read above). Add parboiled cauliflower, bell peppers, onion chunks and marinate for 30 minutes minimum.
Then heat 2 – 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Shallow fry the coated veggies till they are golden and changes colour.
Remove from pan once they are done. Fry in batches and don’t overcrowd the pan. Keep aside.
II. Prepare the tikka masala sauce.
First, soak 10 – 12 cashew nuts in hot water for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes add them to a blender along with chopped tomatoes and green chilies (optional).
Heat oil in a pan. Add finely chopped onions or onion paste. saute for 2 minutes till it’s translucent and starts releasing oil.
Add ginger-garlic paste and saute for a minute. Now add tomato & cashew nuts puree and saute till it’s cooked well.
Add dry spices and left out marination mixture to the gravy (it will help in making a thick gravy and will be creamy).
Now add tikka veggies and simmer for 5 minutes by covering with a lid. Add kasuri methi and finely chopped coriander leaves. Give it a nice stir and cook for 2 minutes more.
Our yummy delicious cauliflower tikka masala or Indian gobi tikka masala is ready. I don’t add additional cream to this but if you like it creamy add 2 – 3 tbsp fresh cream and give it a nice stir.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Here I would request you to read other similar posts like mushroom matar masala, paneer tikka masala, gatte ki sabzi, palak paneer. Also read matar paneer curry, dum aloo, bagara baingan, lauki kofta curry, malai kofta curry, shaam savera curry.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my face book page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on twitter @mydaintykitchen & instagram @mydaintykitchen.