This post contains amazon affiliate links.
This Vegan Mexican Rice is damn delicious and perfect for your dinner. This is quick, easy, and a one-pot rice dish that takes less than 30 minutes. Make this on a stove-top pan or in an instant pot pressure cooker or simply make your baked vegan Mexican rice quickly.
I’m a great fan of rice recipes and especially the one-pot and fried rice ones. These are easier, quicker, and delicious with a blend of good flavors. This flavorful vegan Mexican rice is one of my favorite rice recipes so far. Read other rice recipes on the blog.
Restaurant-style Mexican Rice is easy to prepare with minimal ingredients. The main ingredients are tomatoes, corn kernels, and jalapeno pepper. Tomatoes play an important role in this recipe. I have kept a few chunks of tomatoes as well for that flavor.
So tomato puree + tomato chunks = extra flavors
If you have beans, you can add them to your rice. I didn’t have the beans at my place. So I skipped it. But the flavor is awesome then also.
This is quick one-pot rice that takes less than 30 minutes to make. You can make this vegan Mexican rice on a stovetop (in a pan/ pot with a lid), or in an instant pot (pressure cooker) or you can make baked rice.
Is restaurant-style Mexican rice vegan?
Normally in restaurants, they cook rice in chicken broth for flavor. But here in my vegan Mexican rice, we are replacing it with vegetable broth. If you don’t have homemade vegetable broth, use vegetable broth powder to make broth. Else add simply water.
Which type of rice is used in Mexican rice?
Normally long grain rice is used in authentic Mexican rice. However, you can use basmati rice also. Many varieties of basmati are long in fact. So with that, the rice doesn’t turn soggy. This fluffy rice with lots of added veggies is just delicious.
If you like this recipe also read Mexican Lentils Soup and Mexican Vegetable Soup (In process)
Also read other rice recipes:
How to make vegan Mexican rice on the stovetop?
Recipe Card for Vegan Mexican Rice
Vegetarian Mexican Rice Recipe
- Dutch Oven
- Wash rice thoroughly and soak for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Then drain out from water and spread to air dry.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, onion, jalapeno.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add rice to the pot and saute on high flame for 2 minutes stirring in between.
- Add chopped carrots, beans, tomatoes and give it a nice stir.
- Then add canned/ pureed tomatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper.
- Close the lid of the pot and simmer on low flame for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes open the lid of pan and check with a fork if its cooked completely.
- If any liquid still at the base of pot, close the lid again and let it cook for another 3 – 4 minutes on low flame.
- Once cooked turn off the gas but don’t open the lid immediately. Wait for 5 minutes and open the lid.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
If you like my recipes and want to stay updated then subscribe via email to my blog. Also, stay connected on social media. Here I would request you to like and share my Facebook page @mydaintykitchen, Follow me on Twitter @mydaintykitchen & Instagram @mydaintykitchen. Follow me on Pinterest @mydaintykitchenbyipsa