This Vegan Mexican Rice is damn delicious and perfect for your lazy dinner. This is quick, easy, and a one-pot rice dish that takes less than 30 minutes. Make this on a stove-top pan or in an instant pot pressure cooker or simply make your baked vegan Mexican rice quickly.
I’m a great fan of rice recipes and especially the one-pot and fried rice ones. These are easier, quicker, and delicious with a blend of good flavors. This flavorful vegan Mexican rice is one of my favorite rice recipes so far. Read other rice recipes on the blog. If you are using an instant pot, it will save some more time.
Vegan Mexican Rice is easy to prepare with minimal ingredients. The main ingredients are tomatoes, corn kernels, and jalapeno pepper. Tomatoes play an important role in this recipe (in Mexican cuisine in fact). I have kept a few chunks of tomatoes as well for that flavor. Read my pico-de-gallo.
Tomato puree + Tomato chunks = Extra flavors
If you have beans, you can add them to your rice. I didn’t have the beans at my place. So I skipped it. But the flavor is awesome then also. You may add any canned beans like black beans, red beans, or a mix of beans to your rice.
This is quick one-pot rice that takes less than 30 minutes to make. You can make this vegan Mexican rice on a stovetop (in a pan/ pot with a lid), or in an instant pot (pressure cooker) or you can make baked rice. I have mentioned both the stovetop method and the instant pot method here.
Is restaurant-style Mexican rice vegan?
Normally in restaurants, they cook rice in chicken broth for flavor. But here in my vegan Mexican rice, we are replacing it with vegetable broth. If you don’t have homemade vegetable broth, use vegetable broth powder to make broth. Else add simply water.
Which type of rice is used in Mexican rice?
Normally long grain rice is used in authentic Mexican rice. However, you can use basmati rice also. Many varieties of basmati are long in fact. So with that, the rice doesn’t turn soggy. This fluffy rice with lots of added veggies is just delicious.
If you like this recipe also read Mexican Lentils Soup.
Also read other rice recipes:
How to make vegan Mexican rice on the stovetop & Instant pot?
Basmati Rice – This normally comes as long-grain rice. Long grains go nice for the Mexican rice. Small grains may get mushy rice.
Tomatoes – Tomatoes have a special place in Mexican cuisine. So here the rice is basically cooked in tomato flavor primarily. So add a can of fire-roasted tomatoes. Take some chopped tomatoes for bites, but it’s totally optional. Also, you can replace this with the same amount of salsa.
Onion, garlic, jalapeno – These add flavor to the rice. Fresh ones are best but however, you can replace this with garlic powder, onion powder. Deseed the jalapeno and chop it into small pieces.
Salt & pepper – Salt and pepper are essential ingredients.
Cayenne pepper – This is optional. But if you love little spicy food, then add a pinch of cayenne pepper, or paprika, or chili powder.
Vegetables – Here I have taken carrots, beans, corn. However, carrots and beans are optional. That no doubt makes the rice nutritious.
Vegetable broth – Normally Mexican rice is cooked in chicken broth. But here we will be adding veg broth or stock.
Instructions for Stovetop Method –
Heat oil in a pan or Dutch oven. Add chopped garlic, onion, jalapeno peppers. Saute for 2 minutes.
Now add washed rice and sauté for 3 – 4 minutes on high flame. Now add chopped veggies along with corn and give it a nice stir.
Next, add canned tomatoes/ puree and the chopped tomatoes. Then add the vegetable broth to the pot. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 12 – 15 minutes on low flame. Check with a fork if rice is fluffy and cooked. Garnish with finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
Start the instant pot on sauté mode. Now add oil and once it’s hot, add garlic and onions. Saute for 2 minutes and then add rinsed rice and saute for another 2 – 3 minutes.
Add diced vegetables, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, or paprika. Give it a nice stir. Add tomatoes, vegetable broth.
Close the lid of the pot. Seal the pressure valve. Set to high pressure on manual for 5 minutes. Allow natural pressure release for 5 minutes. Then do quick release for rest.
Fluff the rice with help of a fork. Garnish with lots of finely chopped cilantro leaves.
Recipe Card for Vegan Mexican Rice
Vegan Mexican Rice
- Dutch Oven
- 4 – 5 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup rice
- 5 – 6 tomatoes roasted & pureed (or 14-ounce can)
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 pods garlic finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup corn
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 carrot diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup green beans diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Wash rice thoroughly and soak for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Then drain out from water and spread to air dry.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic, onion, jalapeno.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add rice to the pot and saute on high flame for 2 – 3 minutes stirring in between.
- Add chopped carrots, beans, tomatoes and give it a nice stir.
- Then add canned/ pureed tomatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper.
- Close the lid of the pot and simmer on low flame for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes open the lid of pan and check with a fork if its cooked completely.
- If any liquid still at the base of pot, close the lid again and let it cook for another 3 – 4 minutes on low flame.
- Once cooked turn off the gas but don’t open the lid immediately. Wait for 5 minutes and open the lid.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Start the instant pot on sauté mode.
- Now add oil and once it's hot, add garlic and onions.
- Saute for 2 minutes and then add rinsed rice and saute for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add diced vegetables, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, or paprika. Give it a nice stir.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable broth.
- Close the lid of the instant pot.
- Seal the pressure valve. Set to high pressure on manual for 5 minutes.
- Allow natural pressure release for 5 minutes. Then do quick release for rest.
- Fluff the rice with help of a fork.
- Garnish with lots of finely chopped cilantro leaves.